1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

"unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped"

Discussion in 'Galaxy Nexus Development' started by GoHuskies, Dec 21, 2011.

1. GoHuskies

GoHuskies New Member

Ok this is NOT good. I rooted my new Galaxy Nexus and everything was fine. I then installed Titanium Backup and ran a batch restore from my old phone (a Droid X). After the restore was complete, I verified that the restored apps were in fact in my app drawer, then rebooted my phone. It boots up normally, but as soon as gets to the home screen, I get a dialog box that says "Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped." It has two buttons--"Report" and "Ok"--but the instant I hit either one of them, the same dialog box reappears, and I can't tap on anything else. I have rebooted multiple times and the same thing occurs every time. If anyone has ANY idea what is happening, I would be much obliged...
  2. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

I'm thinking the batch restore did it. I would wipe & reflash the rom.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus
  3. GoHuskies

GoHuskies New Member

Thanks CJM. However since I can't get into any menus, the phone is effectively bricked. How do I wipe and reflash? I should mention (in case it's not obvious) that I'm pretty new to this whole rooting, flashing, etc. business. I think I ventured out of my pay grade this time.
  4. parker34

parker34 New Member

Do you have CWM recovery?
  5. CJM

^^that. You should still be able to get to the bootloader so there's always ADB.

6. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

adb reboot recovery and just do a date wipe and you will be fine.DancingNexus
  7. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

or terminal emulator

su

#reboot recovery
  8. GoHuskies

GoHuskies New Member

I don't have CWM recovery. It was on my to-do list. Unfortunately I'm an idiot, so any chance you can link to an idiot-proof set of instructions for reflashing from the bootloader?
  9. CJM

10. GoHuskies

GoHuskies New Member

When I boot into recovery, it goes to the Android guy on his back with his chest cover opened up and a red triangle with an exclamation point. Then after a minute it goes to my home screen and I get the error message loop again.
  11. CJM

Its doing that because that file is still in /system. There is a way you can do it all through ADB. But unfortunately I'm not around my computer to find the way for you. And since ADB is still new to me, I can't remember the commands off the top of my head. Hopefully someone will come along and help. If not, I try to find them in the morning. But don't worry, there is a way to fix your problems.

12. CJM

13. GoHuskies

GoHuskies New Member

Thanks much CJM. I had come across that same thread and tried to follow the instructions. I didn't have sdk, but I downloaded it in an effort to use that method... however in trying to install sdk I realized that I was just way out of my league. I will hang tight and hope someone comes up with a solution, and try not to hyperventilate.
  14. EAK

EAK New Member

Try doing this; FIX: After unlocking the bootloader or locking it, you need to pres volume down until you reach recovery, then you press power button. After that a red triangle will pop up and you will need to press Vol+/Vol-/Power at the same time, you will now see a menu, select factory data reset and proceed, reboot. Congrats!

Got it from here; The "I NEED HALP" Thread, get your fixes. - RootzWiki
  15. GoHuskies

GoHuskies New Member

I get no menu. When I push vol+/vol-/power, nothing happens...
  16. GoHuskies

GoHuskies New Member

I hope I'm being considerate and not a total jackass, but I also posted at androidforums.com. I couldn't find anything about double-posting in the rules so hopefully this isn't an etiquette violation, but I wanted to broaden my approach since I haven't solved the problem yet. If I get a solution from either forum I will cross-post to the other. Thanks all for your suggestions thus far; please don't take it personally but I'm freaking out a bit over having broken my $600+ device.
  17. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

Alright, this exact thing happened to me. I used titanium Backup to try to restore my call log and it caused the immediate and repetitive force close of the com.android.phone upon boot up. I had to use the google images to flash my phone back to stock. Depending on the method that you used to root the phone, you may be able to use the same tools to re-flash the phone.

I used the "fastboot-windows" method to unlock and root, so I already had the fastboot tools on my PC. I used the Vol+/Vol-/PWR buttons to get into the boot loader on my Gnex, and after that, I followed the instructions shown on this link:

How to flash the VZW LTE Galaxy Nexus to Stock using Google's images : AndroidI'm not sure if this will help you though because you said you were having trouble installing the SDK. I already had the SDK installed on my PC from a long time ago, but I did update it to the latest version before going through this process. It didn't seem like that daunting of a task to me, however I do remember the first time around it was a bit more intimidating.

Anyway, let it be known that the stock rooted GNex does not play well with DroidX call logs that were backed up using Titanium Backup! I know it was the call log to blame because that was the only item that I restored prior to the reboot and subsequent com.android.phone failure.

Anyway, good luck!
    1 person likes this.
  18. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

You have to hold the three buttons simultaneously for several seconds until the phone vibrates quickly... it will then go into a boot menu.
  19. CJM

Did you used the guide in this thread by sbenson to root?

20. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

Oh, and one more thing. Based on the comments on the page that I linked to, you may be able to get away with just re-locking and unlocking your boot loader to force a factory reset. It'll be quicker (and safer) than pushing all of the new image files.
    1 person likes this.
Search tags for this page

com.android.phone has stopped

process com.android.browser
process com.android.phone has stopped
process.com.android.phone has stopped
the process com.android.phone has stopped
the process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly
unfortunately android system has stopped
unfortunately com.android.phone has stopped
unfortunately contacts has stopped
unfortunately has stopped