Unfortunately, My Gallery has stopped working ??

lindsaylubick

Reaction score
okay, so I just updated to the new ICS system this morning, and now my gallery won't open. I have downloaded Quick Pic and I deleted some pictures and other random pictures hoping that would work. I have read that doing that might help, but it still force closes. I'm not sure what to do from here. I know that a lot of users like Quick Pic, but I think that my gallery was easier, is there anything that would help? Please & thank you !

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
What status was your phone in prior to ICS? IE Rooted, Rom'd, bloatware frozen and or deleted?

Sounds like a factory data reset is going to be in your near future, unless you already did that.

Cripton805

Reaction score
Im a pretty sure its due to a corrupted file. Move all your pics and videos from the phone to your SD card. Remove your SD card and tirn off then back on your phone. Then check the gallery again while its empty (because your SD is out). If it works, then one of your files is corrupt or damaged.

good luck

OP
L

lindsaylubick

Reaction score
What status was your phone in prior to ICS? IE Rooted, Rom'd, bloatware frozen and or deleted?

Sounds like a factory data reset is going to be in your near future, unless you already did that.

It is factory, I haven't rooted it, if that's what you're asking.

OP
L

lindsaylubick

Reaction score
Im a pretty sure its due to a corrupted file. Move all your pics and videos from the phone to your SD card. Remove your SD card and tirn off then back on your phone. Then check the gallery again while its empty (because your SD is out). If it works, then one of your files is corrupt or damaged.

good luck

I moved everything to my SD card, and the gallery still isn't working. I asked one of my tech savvy friends & he said that they are working on another update to fix this.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try going into settings, apps, all, find the gallery app. Clear data and force close the app, now do a soft boot. (Press the volume down and hold, then press the power button and hold)

Yes folks this is different than gb, this is so you don't get a screenshot that's corrupt when you do this :) :cool:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If that doesn't work.. then do a factory data reset. That will probably clear the glitch up. I had an issue where my screen lock wasn't working... I tried resetting it.. still nothing, fdr and its all gravy. :p

OP
L

lindsaylubick

Reaction score
Try going into settings, apps, all, find the gallery app. Clear data and force close the app, now do a soft boot. (Press the volume down and hold, then press the power button and hold)

Yes folks this is different than gb, this is so you don't get a screenshot that's corrupt when you do this :) :cool:

This worked, thank you so much for your help!

EDIT: It worked, and I rebooted. Then I went to change my view into albums and then it force closed again. Then, I cleared the data again and it worked when i switched into folders, but it still won't work for albums?

Last edited:

neverous

Reaction score
This worked, thank you so much for your help!

EDIT: It worked, and I rebooted. Then I went to change my view into albums and then it force closed again. Then, I cleared the data again and it worked when i switched into folders, but it still won't work for albums?

I actually had this same problem today and tried the same solution. It worked exactly the same way for me. My gallery is fine as long as I don't use the albums view. Is there an update that is coming that will fix this? And I hate factory resets but I will do it if that will solve the problem permanently, but once I've done it is there any kind of garantee that I won't have to reset again and again and that the issue won't randomly pop up again? Thanks for the help in advance.

radon

Reaction score
I have this problem since the ICS update too. I'm not using any other imaging apps, and My Gallery worked perfectly before the update. I hope a patch is in the works... not having access to My Library is really irking me.

radon

Reaction score
Replying to my own post... I also tried clearing the data for My Gallery app, and now My Library will open. However, as others have mentioned, changing to Albums view causes the error and force close. After that, data must be cleared again to open My Library. Kinda sucks cause I prefer the Albums view. Looking forward to that rumored patch in the works.

As a side note, I turned off "Display friends' activities" in My Gallery settings cause I don't need to see that every time I open My Gallery... but when I open My Library, it very briefly and inexplicably shows a recent social media post (ie. an image from a facebook friend's wall post) before it successfully loads My Library. Awesome programming. Maybe this should be patched too? Maybe its part of the problem even?

Funtwin

Reaction score
Hi,

Unfortunately, I have a Droid 4 and got the ICS update this morning which ruined my phone... lost contacts, blah blah blah...some of it I have fixed but My Gallery has completely stopped working and won't even open... I have performed all of the recommended suggestions on this page but nothing is working... any other suggestions?? I'm soooooooooooooo freakin frustrated!!! PLEASE HELP!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Replying to my own post... I also tried clearing the data for My Gallery app, and now My Library will open. However, as others have mentioned, changing to Albums view causes the error and force close. After that, data must be cleared again to open My Library. Kinda sucks cause I prefer the Albums view. Looking forward to that rumored patch in the works.

As a side note, I turned off "Display friends' activities" in My Gallery settings cause I don't need to see that every time I open My Gallery... but when I open My Library, it very briefly and inexplicably shows a recent social media post (ie. an image from a facebook friend's wall post) before it successfully loads My Library. Awesome programming. Maybe this should be patched too? Maybe its part of the problem even?
I would do an fdr... that's your best bet.. there's supposed to be a software update soon... it may help.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have a Droid 4 and got the ICS update this morning which ruined my phone... lost contacts, blah blah blah...some of it I have fixed but My Gallery has completely stopped working and won't even open... I have performed all of the recommended suggestions on this page but nothing is working... any other suggestions?? I'm soooooooooooooo freakin frustrated!!! PLEASE HELP!

In your case... if clearing data bad force closing then rebooting does nothing for you. You too may want to do an fdr.. when all else fails.. an fdr won't.

Also.. contacts isn't gone... its called people now. :)

After switching to ics you should do an FDR. Give the OS a day to settle in, then do an fdr... it will smooth out most of the wrinkles..

Last edited:

tjplace

Reaction score
thanks

Thank you, had the same issue. I was afraid when clearing data my photos would disappear, but they did not and now the program works again.

THANK YOU!!!:biggrin:

GotnFX

Reaction score
As much as we all dont like to do it..I have to agree that a FDR is the best choice after a GB to ICS upgrade..was having all the same issues everyone has posted..my camera didn't even work...after a FDR..all good and after .215..phone has been great..especially battery life on my maxx