Unfortunate water accident... how to proceed?

chriszuma

Reaction score
So, now that the shame of having destroyed my beloved phone in a most undignified manner has somewhat worn off, I need advice on what to do next.

A few weeks ago I dropped my phone in ... let's just say a vessel of water. I did the baking in rice trick, and it seemed like it worked perfectly, the phone powered up like normal. However, a minute later the screen goes black and I hear a little sizzling. ****. So I put it back in the oven for a while. Now it will act like it is powering up, and even do the "DROID" noise and vibrate, but the screen stays completely black, and there is a lot of heat coming from the lower left corner on the back.

My first thought was "sell it for parts and buy a new one", but I *really* don't want to spend $400 minus whatever pittance I can get for a flooded phone. It looks like I can buy either a new motherboard or a new LCD+digitizer on eBay for around $75, but I don't really know which part needs replacing, or how likely it is that I'll get ripped off. The excess heat is definitely coming from where the CPU sits on the motherboard, but it boots up fine except for the display, so it could be either one.

Has anyone dealt with something like this before? Which one should I try replacing? Is it a lost cause?

OP
C

chriszuma

Reaction score
Cool, those prices are much more reasonable. It looks like they don't let you sell busted phones though, am I stuck with eBay to offload my current one?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Cool, those prices are much more reasonable. It looks like they don't let you sell busted phones though, am I stuck with eBay to offload my current one?

Probably, and honestly you most likely wouldn't get a whole lot for it. It would come down to how much water damage happened internally.