Unexplained repeating 48MB download

bbtkd

Reaction score
Greetings - on about December 10th my rooted (Cyanogen) Motodroid 1 began downloading something about 48MB in size about 2-3 times per day. I noted this with 3G watchdog and it was pretty obvious since I don't do audio/video streaming and typically only have about 300MB to 500MB inbound data per month. I wanted to figure out what was doing this, so I installed the app TrafficStats. I've found this to be hugely ambiguous as things don't add up but when set to show system apps, it did seem to indicate that the Android download manager was the culprit as it shows the corresponding 48MB usage. The description for this utility says "Media storage/Download manager/DRM protected content/Storage". This still does not tell me what is being downloaded and why.

I'm thinking it is one of two things; either some app (I have 50+ installed) had an update around December 10th which added as misfeature which loads some 48MB cache - or there is some update being blocked as I am rooted. I know there is a market utility being rolled out so perhaps it is continually trying to update and failing. My wife has a non-rooted Motodroid 2 and my son has a Cyanogen rooted Motodroid 1, and neither are seeing this behavior.

I've watched power usage, and there's no notable changes as far as some app suddenly using significant power. I did have one day where my usage shot up over 1GB, but most days I see 100-150MB. As long as I have unlimited data (some will argue it is 5GB) then not a huge issue, just want to know what is going on. I did go back and check the feedback of all apps I've updated since the 9th and did not see anyone else having the problem.

Anyone else seeing anything like this? Anyone know of a log that may tell me what is being downloaded? Thanks!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I doubt its an app due to the size. What build is your phone on?

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
I doubt its an app due to the size. What build is your phone on?

DroidForums junkie!!

CyanogenMod 6.0.0 RC2

I don't suspect a problem directly with Cyanogenmod since I've been on that for months, yet this misbehavior started only recently.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Sounds like the update file from VZW

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
Possible solution

OK - I found a thread on the Cyanogenmod forums that supports the idea that while my oldish CM kernel was effectively blocking an OTA from installing, it wasn't preventing it from repeatedly downloading and attempting install. There is an app to fake the fingerprint so an OTA is not even downloaded since it appears to have already been applied. Just installed it so no confirmation of the fix yet, but I should know in a day or so. I'd pretty much concluded that the issue was an OTA since it was always coming via 3G even when I was at home with Wifi on. If it had been a misbehaving app, it would have originated on the phone and would have used Wifi. An OTA originates from the carrier so always comes via 3G. IMHO.