Unexpected Temp Spike!

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by beejaycee, Aug 21, 2010.

1. beejaycee

beejaycee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is not so much a problem as I am trying to figure out what happened:

I'm running SS4.7 and yesterday I installed the OTA update Chevy sent to us. Around 1 PM, I'm at my desk and my Droid is in its holster when the SetCPU temperature notification goes off. I'm a wuss and set it to let me know if the phone goes over 42C (temp is the enemy of electronics). I took it out and set it on the desk. I didn't see anything unusual running. I checked running services and closed a couple (news widget, Listen app) but the temp stayed high. After maybe 4 or 5 minutes, I rebooted the phone to be make certain there were not errant apps running wild. It overheated again almost immediately. I left the phone open on the desk to allow air circulation and eventually it went back to behaving but it took another 10 minutes or so. This did happen once before that I know of but it was some time ago.

So, can anybody clue me in with what was likely going on? TNX.

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I think that you should raise your temperature at least 8 more degrees C. 42 degrees C is only 108 degrees, hardly an electronics killer. These things can sit in a hot car and get much hotter then that and not have any damage.

Yes, it would be warmer then usual, but nothing to worry about.

3. beejaycee

beejaycee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know that 42C is low but that is deliberate as I want to know what is going on with it. This is one of those instances where I have a learning opportunity. Eventually I will raise the temp to something more realistic but the CPU is overclocked (and technically the warranty is voided) so I am taking responsibility for what I'm doing to the phone and trying to learn as I go.