Unecrypting Samsung Nexus

Damirez

Reaction score
So on a whim I encrypted my Nexus.... but now I can't remove it. Because of the encryption I can't boot into recovery mode and perform a factory hard reset. Any ideas? I also tried the Nexus Toolkit v5.7 to no avail.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
You encrypted it? Encrypted what? The bootloader? I don't know why you'd ever void a warranty for that reason but give us a little more details so we can get a better idea of your situation.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
My guess is he turned on file encryption. Can't you just go to settings-back up and reset and then perform a factory reset?

CNordy

Reaction score
I believe you need to flash the factory image onto your phone using the fastboot method. Once you turn on encryption, the phone can no longer access your files required to flash custom ROMs/make backups/etc because the phone doesn't decrypt the files until after booting past the recovery menu. Basically, you have the choice to leave your phone as-is, or return it to factory image and start over doing custom recovery stuff.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You can use USB file transfer in recovery mode and transfer the files over to the phone, then flash the files. Once the phone turns on it'll encrypt the files. This process will need to be repeated every time you want to flash something.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
So on a whim I encrypted my Nexus....

face%u002520palm_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg