Undoing 2.1 and revirginize back to 2.0.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by frostwolf, Dec 29, 2009.

1. frostwolf

frostwolf New Member

After updating to 2.1 and using it for a while, ive decided to downgrade back to 2.0.1 . Ive got the old firmware installed and running, but is there a way to revert back to the stock restore screen, uninstalling busybox, and undoing root?
  2. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

Why would you want to? There's no downside to being rooted and having busybox installed, just leave it alone and it won't bother you.
  3. frostwolf

frostwolf New Member

Just incase I have to take it back to big red for repairs, and would like to not worry about an OTA update breaking something...
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  4. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

download my virgin recovery 2.0.1 from hacks section you will have root, busybox, recovery its a safe bet get it like that your good to go if you need to reflash to old recovery you can but advise against it.....heck my verizon store seen my rooted custom recovery droid yesterday. no worries buddy
  5. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

Yeah he wants it completely virgin. No root, no busybox.
  6. frostwolf

frostwolf New Member

If I am thinking correctly, wouldnt I have to just remove busybox/root via shell and rename recovery-from-boot.p back to where it was to get the default one back?
  7. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

That would most likely work.
  8. frostwolf

frostwolf New Member

I think i can figure out how to fix the boot image, but removing busybox/root via shell is my problem
  9. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

The easiest way to remove everything would be to remove the busybox binary as well as the su binary. both should be in /system/bin/ (or xbin/)
  10. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

Im gonna catch flak for this but cant reist :icon_ devil:......Pansy...J/K cant see devirginizing for the heck of it unless hes scared of verizon finding out. even verizon techs dont care they will tinker with your phone instore for a hour .....job security lol
  11. frostwolf

frostwolf New Member

Well after debating, im going to keep root/busybox but take the custom recovery image off (which was successful today woot)

Pansy? Awh come on old timer, surely you can do better than that :D
  12. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

keep root and recovery and busybox you can easily change out custom recovery by going to recovery and renaming the recovery.old whatever its named file....and still have root and busy box. only give away would be the superuser app on app menu which you can rename so it don show on the menu. all which can be done quickly and from recovery in the event you need verizon....personally you shouldnt need verizon if you got insurance and US.
    We almost safe to say brick proof to a extent and worse case insurance can overnight you a phone (or whine to verizon rep your going out of town and need to get one from store that day...it works 90 percent of time). Just be careful what you do and with so many commands floating around I suggest you do what I do is keep a txt file as a log/diary of everything you do so you can fix errors and better troubleshoot errors.
  13. dkbaggett

dkbaggett New Member

Hello everyone! Total "newbie" here. This is my very first post! :) I'm curious... I want to root my Droid so I can enable WiFi tethering, but I also want the 2.1 update when it comes out by the end of January...
    So my question is:
    If I root my Droid and enable wifi tethering..
    And when the 2.1 update comes out in January I restore to just root, busybox, and recovery, would I be able to update to 2.1?
  14. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Actually, what you want to do to completely unroot the phone is to download a rooted 2.0.1 that has had nothing done to it.

You then rename the recovery-from-boot extension back to .p from .old

Also, make sure the otacerts file has a .zip extension, and not .bak

Remove busybox and the Superuser.apk while rooted. Once you've removed these reboot the phone and let it boot back into the OS (the recovery partition will revert to stock during this boot)

Now, copy the original 2.0.1 update.zip to your SD card and reboot into the stock recovery partition. Apply the update, and your su binary is now reverted to the one that doesn't allow access.

Your phone is now unrooted.
  15. frostwolf

frostwolf New Member

Bad necro is bad... mmkay? Just make a new thread w/ a question and let nature take its course. :icon_ devil:
Search tags for this page

old droid s3 firmware downgrade