Underwhelmed by my X2

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
I came from D1...and I love my DX2. Only a couple small complaints.

I believe on about the 2nd day of release very knowledgeable people said if you've got the DX wait for the next wave of phones. However if you're on the D1 or even D2 you will notice a big upgrade.

brocja01

Reaction score
Odk guys, Im coming from a rooted over clocked D1 and I'm having issues with mine. It's bone stock, gets hot, reboots and seems sluggish. I'm taking mine back, tonged a replacement! Hoping I just got a bad unit!

bigdad63

Reaction score
Mine was really slow at first, then I put on lp and froze some non-essential apps and now it is very snappy. I also had fc's using the camera and restarts for the 1st 2 weeks, but now it seems to have cleared up. just when I'm starting to get comfy the bionic pix get leaked. DANG!!

rushmore

Reaction score
The DX2 has an apparent memory allocation issue and is likely the root cause of most issues. Go into the task manager and add up the OS, home ui, OS tasks, opened user apps and free ram. There is nothing close to 512mb ram and if we assume that 404mb is available and 108mb allocated to the gpu, there still a gap of about 130mb missing ram.

Add random reboots, MP3 click & pop sounds and heat spikes, the firmware is flaky at best.

In regards to the memory, some users are touting use of a memory mod script, Super V6, but that was intended for 256mb ram devices like the Droid 1. This BTW does not work well, since after a few hours, the ram is back down to less than 40mb.

Perhaps a Gingerbread update will fix the issues, but that will be pure luck, considering Motorola level 2 techs insist nothing is wrong. Their responses (I kid not)

Random reboots = stock reset the device
Flash heat spikes = stock reset the device
MP3 clicks and pops = Try using a faster microsd card
Missing RAM = The device has 512mb ram- stock reset the device

I returned my DX2 just before the 14 day deadline. If Gingerbread fixes the noted issues, I will happily buy another one, since the DX2 is several fixes away from great.

zeppelinrox

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You didnt customize the minfree levels V6 SuperCharger. It's works great regardless no matter the phone used.

Why didnt you put in the megamemory device values?
If you did you would have had about 100mb free after running a whole bunch of apps.

It would be great if people, such as yourself, did not display their ignorance at the expense of people's probable benefit of something when said people, such as yourself, used it incorrectly or did not follow recommendations.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

etavadia

Reaction score
I have to agree with a lot of the comments on why this phone is a flop. I've had multiple reboot issues. I dialer that responds after 3-5 seconds after hitting dial. LPP that is unusable due to refreshing the screen everytime you go to home.

I'm about to return this and go back to my X and wait for something better. IMOP this phone is half baked. Too bad that came out with something so inferior.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The DX2 has an apparent memory allocation issue and is likely the root cause of most issues. Go into the task manager and add up the OS, home ui, OS tasks, opened user apps and free ram. There is nothing close to 512mb ram and if we assume that 404mb is available and 108mb allocated to the gpu, there still a gap of about 130mb missing ram.

Add random reboots, MP3 click & pop sounds and heat spikes, the firmware is flaky at best.

In regards to the memory, some users are touting use of a memory mod script, Super V6, but that was intended for 256mb ram devices like the Droid 1. This BTW does not work well, since after a few hours, the ram is back down to less than 40mb.

Perhaps a Gingerbread update will fix the issues, but that will be pure luck, considering Motorola level 2 techs insist nothing is wrong. Their responses (I kid not)

Random reboots = stock reset the device
Flash heat spikes = stock reset the device
MP3 clicks and pops = Try using a faster microsd card
Missing RAM = The device has 512mb ram- stock reset the device

I returned my DX2 just before the 14 day deadline. If Gingerbread fixes the noted issues, I will happily buy another one, since the DX2 is several fixes away from great.

what did you end up with?

Zetsumei

Reaction score
I received a free upgrade to the X2 from my X and I am totally underwhelmed. I have rooted, frozen bloatware and just can't get over how sluggish it is with simple operations.

I am thrilled by the performance with video playback and web browsing, but simple things like unlocking the device, opening up the camera app & snapping a photo, and random dumps from apps back to the home screen are almost unbearable.

What is ultimately frustrating is that my wife just upgraded from an Incredible to an Incredible 2 and the Inc 2 is just an awesome device. It is quick on the things that should be quick (launcher/home screen functions, camera, and unlock) and slightly slower on the things that one would expect it to be (gaming, etc.).

So the moral of the story is, what should I do? I'm considering trading in the X2 for a Thunderbolt due to the ability to have 4G when it comes online in my area and the ability to truly mod the device.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments!

Idk what you're doing to your X2 but coming from the Tbolt that was rooted/cm7 and oc to 1.4 ghz the X2 runs circles around the Tbolt. Transitions are flawless, I can fling FULL flash webpages with no lag/stutters. The Inc 2 is slow as crap, stutters alot when you switch from screen to screen. I haven't frozen any bloatware on my X2 and the phone is very responsive. I've gotten 40 fps on nenamark over 3k points on smartbench 2011 on first run. I have my X2 loaded down with widgets etc as well and have no issues with stuttering etc. Some people are saying that Pandora stutters and skips, I have NOT had that issue even with only 1-2 bars of service. I'm not worried about the amount of RAM , everyone has the general conception that when you're low on RAM that's a bad thing. If people read that article about how the Android OS manages memory they would understand.

Only suggestion I can say is unfreeze the bloat and maybe try a factory reset and see if that helps. I have a friend hows X2 was exchange cause the software on there was glitched out and it bogged the phone down bad, so that's another possibility for you. That and the screen wouldn't turn on at times but the 4 home buttons would light up. Good luck!

devinhfox

Reaction score
Love the inc2.
X2 screen is just a disaster, textures look crappy. Commodore 64, anyone!?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
Idk what you're doing to your X2 but coming from the Tbolt that was rooted/cm7 and oc to 1.4 ghz the X2 runs circles around the Tbolt. Transitions are flawless, I can fling FULL flash webpages with no lag/stutters. The Inc 2 is slow as crap, stutters alot when you switch from screen to screen. I haven't frozen any bloatware on my X2 and the phone is very responsive. I've gotten 40 fps on nenamark over 3k points on smartbench 2011 on first run. I have my X2 loaded down with widgets etc as well and have no issues with stuttering etc. Some people are saying that Pandora stutters and skips, I have NOT had that issue even with only 1-2 bars of service. I'm not worried about the amount of RAM , everyone has the general conception that when you're low on RAM that's a bad thing. If people read that article about how the Android OS manages memory they would understand.

Only suggestion I can say is unfreeze the bloat and maybe try a factory reset and see if that helps. I have a friend hows X2 was exchange cause the software on there was glitched out and it bogged the phone down bad, so that's another possibility for you. That and the screen wouldn't turn on at times but the 4 home buttons would light up. Good luck!

Great to hear people are actually satisfied with the device! Gives me hope that maybe its just user error and not the device. If I start to see more reviews like this I think I'll just have to get the x2 over the bionic and d3!

Sent from my Liberated DROIDX

OP
G

GrandP

Reaction score
Like I said in my OP, what bothers me is the device's inability to do the simple things. There is no denying that this thing rocks when it comes to video playback and gaming. I am headed for a Tbolt and if that doesn't make me happy, I'm going to go back to my X and wait it out.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Zetsumei

Reaction score
Like I said in my OP, what bothers me is the device's inability to do the simple things. There is no denying that this thing rocks when it comes to video playback and gaming. I am headed for a Tbolt and if that doesn't make me happy, I'm going to go back to my X and wait it out.

There probably is an issue with your X2, my device has 0 issues with the simplest of tasks, to the most intensive of games :d.

ThaUrbanMyth

Reaction score
Remember the tegra 2 processor is a new for.verizon on a cell phone. I would like to believe they released the phone before they perfected the software that could run the dual core properly.
I have no problems. Sometimes I experience lag some times but I taskill boost ram. No problems.
Wait for a software update. I just cant wait for sbf files.

OP
G

GrandP

Reaction score
So I've had a Thunderbolt for the better part of a day now and I can say that so far, I am pleased with my decision to bail on the X2. Just the speed of flipping through screens and typing amazes me. I am sure there will be some bumps in the road (no random reboots yet, but I fully expect them).

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums