Underwhelmed by my X2

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X2' started by GrandP, Jun 6, 2011.

1. GrandP

GrandP New Member

I received a free upgrade to the X2 from my X and I am totally underwhelmed. I have rooted, frozen bloatware and just can't get over how sluggish it is with simple operations.

I am thrilled by the performance with video playback and web browsing, but simple things like unlocking the device, opening up the camera app & snapping a photo, and random dumps from apps back to the home screen are almost unbearable.

What is ultimately frustrating is that my wife just upgraded from an Incredible to an Incredible 2 and the Inc 2 is just an awesome device. It is quick on the things that should be quick (launcher/home screen functions, camera, and unlock) and slightly slower on the things that one would expect it to be (gaming, etc.).

So the moral of the story is, what should I do? I'm considering trading in the X2 for a Thunderbolt due to the ability to have 4G when it comes online in my area and the ability to truly mod the device.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments!
  2. hobby31

hobby31 Member

I went from an x1 to the thunderbolt to the x2. I agree, the x2 is too slugish and it's pissing me off. Moto really dropped the ball on this one. The thunderbolt is fast and does what it's supposed to do. The only draw back is the battery and for me at least the gps took way too long to lock on. I got an extended battery for it and it worked great but it made it heavier and took away from the sleek look of it. Also wouldn't fit any assessories..ie car dock, desk dock, any cool cases either. I sold my bolt for $350 and bought the x2 outright. I'm thinking I made a mistake. I gave my wife my old x and with gingerbread it just works better than this x2. I'm hoping our first update will fix things up a bit but I might have to see this thing and go for something else. I just can't understand why this thing is so sluggish. I think it needs more RAM.
  3. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Are you using the stock launcher? There are some problems with launchers from the market on the X2.
  4. GrandP

GrandP New Member

I tried using the stock launcher (which I can't stand...I'm LPP for life) and I had the same laggy performance using that as well.
  5. hobby31

hobby31 Member

Yeah, I'm using the stock launcher. I've tried everything I could think of. I'm very knowledgeable about rooting, messing with system files and such. I've frozen a lot of apps and even applied the "supercharge" script it's helped some. It seems like it will run fine for a bit then sluggish for a bit.
  6. Zog

Zog New Member

Returned my x2 and kept the x. Terrible phone, why not full refund your x2 and buy a TB or DX back? Can you get an x for replacement instead?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  7. TreFiDDy

TreFiDDy New Member

Wow this is kind of upsetting I was thinking about getting a x2 once my upgrade comes but now I'll just stick with my x

Sent from my ZombieStomped DROIDX
  8. kookk

kookk New Member

It seems that anyone coming from an og loves this phone and anyone coming from an x hates it.

At least to me compared to my og , the x2 is fast as lightning

Sent from my DROID X2
  9. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

It may also have to do with individual phones being buggy. Maybe just try and get a replacement at least once?
  10. p1ngputts

p1ngputts New Member

I would agree with that statement as I came from the OG Droid and love the x2.
  11. juhde

juhde Droid X Rescue Squad Rescue Squad Premium Member

Same here, love the X2. I don't have any lag problems.

Sent from my DROID X2
  12. streetrod

streetrod New Member

I am happy with mine, most things work good. The only thing that gets on my nerves is the reboots and having to reactivate it to get the LED to stop flashing.
    I hope a software update will address these problems.
  13. zeppelinrox

zeppelinrox Premium Member Premium Member Developer

What supercharge settings did you use?
    You should use custom minfree values... V8 SuperCharger will have a MegaMemory Device setting of 6,12,75,125,150,175 mb so give those numbers a try
  14. captainsloose

captainsloose New Member

i agree with the above posters - i upgraded from my OG rooted droid and this phone is an absolute dream. I even like the custom moto UI stuff, much slicker than my wife's Fascinate
  15. kookk

kookk New Member

Agreed I am a fan of this version of blur. If it has smoother scrolling and a customizable dock I would use it over the market launchers

Sent from my DROID X2
  16. eebvending

eebvending Member

I came from D1...and I love my DX2. Only a couple small complaints.

I believe on about the 2nd day of release very knowledgeable people said if you've got the DX wait for the next wave of phones. However if you're on the D1 or even D2 you will notice a big upgrade.
  17. brocja01

brocja01 New Member

Odk guys, Im coming from a rooted over clocked D1 and I'm having issues with mine. It's bone stock, gets hot, reboots and seems sluggish. I'm taking mine back, tonged a replacement! Hoping I just got a bad unit!
  18. bigdad63

bigdad63 Member

Mine was really slow at first, then I put on lp and froze some non-essential apps and now it is very snappy. I also had fc's using the camera and restarts for the 1st 2 weeks, but now it seems to have cleared up. just when I'm starting to get comfy the bionic pix get leaked. DANG!!
  19. rushmore

rushmore Member

The DX2 has an apparent memory allocation issue and is likely the root cause of most issues. Go into the task manager and add up the OS, home ui, OS tasks, opened user apps and free ram. There is nothing close to 512mb ram and if we assume that 404mb is available and 108mb allocated to the gpu, there still a gap of about 130mb missing ram.

Add random reboots, MP3 click & pop sounds and heat spikes, the firmware is flaky at best.

In regards to the memory, some users are touting use of a memory mod script, Super V6, but that was intended for 256mb ram devices like the Droid 1. This BTW does not work well, since after a few hours, the ram is back down to less than 40mb.

Perhaps a Gingerbread update will fix the issues, but that will be pure luck, considering Motorola level 2 techs insist nothing is wrong. Their responses (I kid not)

Random reboots = stock reset the device
    Flash heat spikes = stock reset the device
    MP3 clicks and pops = Try using a faster microsd card
    Missing RAM = The device has 512mb ram- stock reset the device

I returned my DX2 just before the 14 day deadline. If Gingerbread fixes the noted issues, I will happily buy another one, since the DX2 is several fixes away from great.
  20. zeppelinrox

zeppelinrox Premium Member Premium Member Developer

You didnt customize the minfree levels V6 SuperCharger. It's works great regardless no matter the phone used.

Why didnt you put in the megamemory device values?
    If you did you would have had about 100mb free after running a whole bunch of apps.

It would be great if people, such as yourself, did not display their ignorance at the expense of people's probable benefit of something when said people, such as yourself, used it incorrectly or did not follow recommendations.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
Search tags for this page
cool things a driod x 2 can do
cool things to do with droid 2

cool things you can do with a droid x2

cool things you can do with droid x2

droid x2
pagefile in droid x2
things i need for droid x2