Underclocking when phone sleeps??

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Canefan, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Canefan

Canefan New Member

I downloaded the app SetCPU which will not allow for overclocking beyond the current speed of 550mHz, but it will allow you to underclock when the phone sleeps. If I set the speed to 250mhz when in sleep mode this would be a real battery saver wouldn't it? Or does the CPU slow down anyway when the phone is off? Anyone tried this?
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

In theory.....Give it a try and let us know...
  3. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

By default the phone is set to be at a 250MHz minimum and 550MHz maximum at all times. The most effective method I found using it is setting a 250MHz maximum while sleeping (so 250MHz max and 125MHz min) and 550MHz min and max while the phone is not sleeping. You'd get the most responsiveness while the phone is awake and actively processing, with the battery saving features while the phone is sleeping.
  4. WatskeBart

WatskeBart New Member

Great post i'm hoping that my Milestone will last longer then the factory 270hrs
  5. Canefan

Canefan New Member

Does "sleeping" simply mean that the screen is off? Presumably the phone is still doing stuff like syncing and so forth. It's not sleep mode like a PC goes into.

Have you noticed any change in battery consumption with this setup??
  6. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

Yes I actually have. Even on days of heavy use, I plug my phone into charge at night with at least 60% battery left every day. I'm debating on setting my charging schedule to every 2 days now...
  7. naman919

naman919 New Member

I have mine set to 500/250 for normal

then under profiles i have 250/125 for sleeping and 125/125 for charging.

Should i bump up the charging to 550? I've read others that have it set to that, but i can't imagine charge rate is dependent on the CPU Speed.

What settings are people using these days?

Also, the third profile simply says for Power<100% how can i adjust the %?

It says wait for a battery movement, will that drop it to 50% in the option or the current battery status?
  8. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

i have mine set on 600max 500min normally then for sleep/standby i have it on 500max 250min, i havent suffered as far as battery is concerned, i have heard of issues when coming out of sleep with it set to 125
  9. naman919

naman919 New Member

bump. poster above didn't answer my questions. TIA.
  10. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 New Member

You are probably right - the CPU has little or nothing to do with the charging circuit. But what you set for this profile depends on if you ever use your phone while it's charging. If so, you probably want to set it something higher than 125...like maybe 550. If not, then it leave it wherever, but if you enable Profiles and the Charging profile, then while charging the CPU will operate at whatever frequency you set for that profile, as it supersedes all other profiles while the phone is plugged in.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but to change the %, you click the MODIFY button just like you would to change the frequency settings and drag the 3rd slider to whatever % you want. So, it will act in this profile only when the battery drops below that % of total capacity.
  11. Toby

Toby New Member

I recently upgraded to 2.01 on milestone, and also installed setcpu. I set the cpu min to 125.
    I'm not sure which saves battery more, the update or setcpu. But I have noticed a good increase of battery life. Screen brightness set to auto, as this takes up about 70% of battery use.
    I currently leave wifi on 24/7, and phone was only drained to around 1/2 after a day and waking up at 2 pm today. :)
    Previously, it would have been lower, or close to full depletion. These aren't totally accurate figures, i haven't done any proper testing or anything. Just one off impressions.

Currently cpu max is 550. I can't be bothered messing with it further to get 600 hz.
  12. Canefan

Canefan New Member

I had mine set to max at 250 when sleeping. What happened was that when an incoming call came in, I would get the green droid guy and the incoming number instead of it doing the lookup in my contacts and showing me the name of the caller and the photo if there was one. It seemed as if the processor was too slow to do the lookup in the brief time allotted before the call is reported. This was reason enough to abandon the whole underclocking idea for me.
  13. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

if you have it set to 250 min and max during sleep then it doesnt do that, i've tested it multiple times, currently i have mine set to this...

600MHz Max and 500MHz Min - Regular
    600MHz Max and 550MHz Min - Charging
    250MHz Max and 250MHz Min - Sleep/Standby
    550MHz Max and 250MHz Min - Power < 60%

i have noticed great performance and good battery life with these settings

and i know people will probably say "why so high on the charging" but the way i look at it your battery life cant suffer if you are plugged in so why not push the phone to its limits, and the processor is not going to suffer because of this, its normally underclocked to 550MHz, so having it at 600MHz only hurts battery life not the integrity of the processor, because of this its not even technically overclocking, its called overdrive mode
  14. Canefan

Canefan New Member

I'm delighted that it's working for you. However, on MY phone it behaved exactly as I described in my post. I also tested it extensively and finally abandoned it altogether. My phone was running the Greek35T 2.1 ROM at the time. I am now back to stock 2.0.1.
  15. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

I have the 2.0.1 stock rom so maybe that will make a difference
Search tags for this page

android underclocking stand-by

charging while underclocked cpu

how to ubderclock cpu android

how to underclock android during standby

underclock cpu while sleeping

underclocking the phone