undecided htc droid moto drod or lg ally?

Darkseider

Reaction score
EDIT: I am not criticizing anyone on their personal preference of device, to each his own. What I am saying is the truth in that the LG Ally while being a nice handset with great features cannot match either the Droid or Incredible in raw speed and power. This is simply due to the underlying technology which is found in the device. If this is your or anyone elses device of choice and your satisfied with it, more power to you. I am not here to pass judgment on a retail purchase but merely stating fact.

There's more to a car than just horsepower.

That is correct. In that same statement to expect a car with 150hp to outperform a car with 450hp at the SAME task is ludicrous assuming the car has the same weight, torque and transmission. This then would be a valid comparison of a Droid, Incredible and Ally. Simply put the engine/horsepower would relate to the SoC in each device and the weight of the vehicle, torque and transmission would be the OS, in which case they are all Android 2.1

So knowing that they are all equal except for the SoC one can then determine without much of a problem which would perform a specific task better than the other. Based on industry tests and benchmarks and the age of the technology in each device you can then reasonably conclude that even though the Ally, which again is a very nice and competent device, cannot perform equally in terms of speed to either an Incredible or Droid.

speckit

Reaction score
what about the htc evo 4g? it comes out june 6th i think

Darkseider

Reaction score
what about the htc evo 4g? it comes out june 6th i think

The HTC EVO 4G runs that same SoC as the HTC Incredible which is the 1Ghz Snapdragon. That being said from early hands on write ups with the EVO it does not have the same internal storage as the Incredible. What it does have though is a larger 4.3" screen, HDMI out and 4G/WiMax. Another thing that the EVO 4G can do that the Incredible can't is that you can disable the Sense UI on the EVO whereas on the Incredible you can't.

OP
S

sillyshyme

Reaction score
I was thinking that as well but I hear all kinds of Sprint problems from current users. I know no provider is perfect just cause Verizon has the most clients don't mean they are 100% I was with AT&T and they were good. My 2 cents

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOL. No you didnt....I was counting on your review...:)

But someone posted in the comments at Engadget hit on something I was gonna post earlier about the processor.They mentioned that Google Maps was running in the background in that video and the phone was jerking...... does it multi-task as good as the Droid or Inc.?, will it run Flash or run it good, will 3D games play good.....

Darkseider

Reaction score

But someone posted in the comments at Engadget hit on something I was gonna post earlier about the processor.They mentioned that Google Maps was running in the background in that video and the phone was jerking...... does it multi-task as good as the Droid or Inc.?, will it run Flash or run it good, will 3D games play good.....

To answer this question yes and no. It will multi-task exactly like the Droid and the Incredible because it runs the same operating system. With that being said, due to the lower performance of the SoC in the Ally you will see a performance hit because it has nowhere near the processing power of the Droid or the Incredible.

Mule65

Reaction score

Sorry jroc -- The Engadget review was good enough for me. Sigh.

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Silly - no one can say which device is better for you except you. There is no better way to determine which will suit you best than actually trying each one out for yourself,hands-on. Everybody has their own idea of what they want their device to do,and the only way to figure it out is to play with them. You can talk specs all day long on OS's and processors, but the end result is which one feels right to you,and performs in the manner you like it to.
Alot of replies are in favor of the droid,which is an awesome device, I just switched to the Incredible myself - which in MY opinion, is better for ME. Some say the sense UI sucks, I love it. Very smooth,and fast overall - more memory,and just a nicer feel in the hand. Again,this just MY opinion. Some will disagree tho, based on what they need the device to do. Buy one, play with it - you got 30 days to return it if you don't like it - take advantage of it! Good luck,and let us know what you finally choose!

freddroidhead

Reaction score
I think the endgadget review is biased and I don't buy into everybodys review of something when you get good reviews from one source and bad reviews from another one. I know from looking at the phone quality wise it outdoes Motorola which is rampant with poor quality cell phones and pretty much anything else they make. For a basic phone the Ally is great. If it won't play games I don't want it. Also for the price alone it can't be beat. You're paying 1/2 the price of a Droid or Droid Incredible which I would get over the Droid anyway. I ordered the Ally and I want to test it out and see what it can do.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Not for nothing but the build quality of the droid is outstanding. Unlike other motorola devices this one stands far above the rest.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im on tapatalk so I cant quote like I wanna....

By all means get it if you want it. I remember reading about the dreaded mute issue on the Droid...but I still got it. At the same time, reviews is one reason I chose a Samsung HD LCD TV over others. And they still might have a breakdown issue.....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk