1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

undecided htc droid moto drod or lg ally?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by sillyshyme, May 13, 2010.

1. sillyshyme

sillyshyme New Member

Hi guys I am switching over from iPhone to Verizon HTC Droid or Moto Droid or LG Ally I am undecided what I want but unsure what to get?

The Moto Droid I can buy for $19.99 while the others would cost me around $99 upto $200 but cost dose not matter.
  2. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

If cost doesnt matter, wait a few more months. More choices by then. With the 3 you mentioned, its a toss up really.

It really depends on what you want:
    physical/no physical keyboard? (it looks better on the Ally to me)

I dont think anyone was an Ally yet, so most folks have opinions about the Moto Droid and the Inc.

It really depends on what you want. And search the forums on some detailed threads on this same subject. Most of your answers will be in those threads.
  3. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

If you are coming from the iPhone, I would probably recommend the HTC. The SenseUI makes for a nice experience coming from the iPhone. It is quick and the UI is very polished. I am returning it, but not because I don't like it, mainly it looks like it might be a while before it is rooted and I want to be able to what I want with the phone.

The Ally will have a smaller screen than both of the other phones I think 3.5 vs 3.7 for the other two phones. Has the same processor as the Incredible so it should be similar quickness, it is however going to be running a modified version of Android as well. The specs look pretty similar so I would probably decide between the two based on the need for a keyboard, (ally has one Inc does not)

Basically if you want to be able to root the phone and do whatever you want to it, go for the Motorola Droid (look on the forums to see the possibilities.)

If you want as close to the iPhone type experience go with the Incredible.

One thing to keep in mind, since the HTC and LG both use a modified version of Android they will get updates alot slower (i.e when 2.2 comes out) out of the three Motorola will get it to us sooner.
  4. kevinjmay

kevinjmay New Member

Hey I'm currently making this same decision... did you pick one of the 3 phones yet? If so, are you happy with the one you chose?

I've had awesome experiences with LG in the past, and the LG Ally caught my attention. It seems to be pretty close to the same specs as the droid, little bit less in some areas. The modified ui on the Ally looks really good.

The Droid Incredible was the phone I originally picked when I was making the choice between droid and droid incredible.. but I'm unsure about switching to all touchscreen. Plus the construction of the incredible seems to be mostly plastic. The Droid seems to have better construction and a physical keyboard.

I've never had a smartphone before, so hopefully I make the right choice.
  5. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

not sure about the ally but i would take the moto droid over the inc any day due to battery life and i cannot stand the blue shine on the inc screen and for now the moto droid is one of the best hardware units with a good modding community it will take take for teh inc to catch up to that
  6. sillyshyme

sillyshyme New Member

Well I am thinking about the HTC Droid or Moto Droid though maybe not Ally.
  7. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

The Ally does NOT use the same processor as the Incredible. The Incredible uses a 1Ghz Snapdragon while the Ally uses a 600Mhz Qualcomm 7267 and the Moto Droid uses an OMAP 3430. In any case the Ally has approx. 1/2 to 1/3 the processing prowess of a Droid or an Incredible. So as far as performance both the Droid and Incredible are far ahead, hands down.
  8. kevinjmay

kevinjmay New Member

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards to the Moto Droid. I'm coming from an Env2, so it's going to be a huge change either way.

One of the big problems I've had with the Env2 was that it loved to unlock and call random numbers or people in my contacts (from inside my pocket). Doesn't the Droid have a similar problem? I think the Droid Incredible repositioned the button to avoid problems like that.
  9. ExactDroid

ExactDroid New Member

incredible :)
  10. Mule65

Mule65 New Member

Do you have an Ally? How do you know how it performs? The Ally processor is MSM7627. Much misinformation.
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  11. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

The numbers may have been transposed, but it is by Qualcomm.

I posted this link cuz I saw something interesting: Hands On With the LG Ally | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Flash might not run on the Ally....or if Flash does run, it wont be as good as on the Droid or Inc.

See, it depends on what you want to use the phone for. Spec wise? I would go with the Droid or Inc. Physical keyboard? The Ally.
  12. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Sorry for the typo. As far as how I know it will perform. Simple. The Qualcomm 7627 is an ARM11 core which is now almost 3 years old. Whereas the Snapdragon and T.I. OMAP 3430 are both Cortex A8 cores which is the latest and greatest in ARM processor cores second only to the yet unreleased, to market anyway, Cortex A-9.

The SoC found in the LG Ally is the same that can be found in the Palm Pixi and Motorola Devour. It is a popular low cost SoC found in most low end and some mid range devices. Generally speaking it is not a bad SoC at all but do not expect the same performance as you would from a Moto Droid or a HTC Incredible.

EDIT: I am not criticizing anyone on their personal preference of device, to each his own. What I am saying is the truth in that the LG Ally while being a nice handset with great features cannot match either the Droid or Incredible in raw speed and power. This is simply due to the underlying technology which is found in the device. If this is your or anyone elses device of choice and your satisfied with it, more power to you. I am not here to pass judgment on a retail purchase but merely stating fact.
  13. akstyle450

akstyle450 New Member

it all depends on what you want/need, i have the droid which i love for its power and physical keyboard, while my sis has the incredible (which im not too much of a fan of htc sense) and the battery on the incredible isnt too great atm =/ but im sure an update will fix that
    but like i said, it all depends on what you want/need
  14. wordweaver27

wordweaver27 New Member

I came from an Env2 also (and incidentally had the same random pocket dialing problems). FWIW, I love the Moto Droid. For me the keyboard isn't as terrible as some think it is but definitely not as nice as any of the LG keyboards which some would say are in a class of their own. I find it fast enough to do whatever I need and can root later on when I want to tweak some more.
    HTH :)
  15. Mule65

Mule65 New Member

There's more to a car than just horsepower.
  16. littlerick

littlerick New Member

i say get all 3
  17. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

That is correct. In that same statement to expect a car with 150hp to outperform a car with 450hp at the SAME task is ludicrous assuming the car has the same weight, torque and transmission. This then would be a valid comparison of a Droid, Incredible and Ally. Simply put the engine/horsepower would relate to the SoC in each device and the weight of the vehicle, torque and transmission would be the OS, in which case they are all Android 2.1

So knowing that they are all equal except for the SoC one can then determine without much of a problem which would perform a specific task better than the other. Based on industry tests and benchmarks and the age of the technology in each device you can then reasonably conclude that even though the Ally, which again is a very nice and competent device, cannot perform equally in terms of speed to either an Incredible or Droid.
  18. speckit

speckit New Member

what about the htc evo 4g? it comes out june 6th i think
  19. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

The HTC EVO 4G runs that same SoC as the HTC Incredible which is the 1Ghz Snapdragon. That being said from early hands on write ups with the EVO it does not have the same internal storage as the Incredible. What it does have though is a larger 4.3" screen, HDMI out and 4G/WiMax. Another thing that the EVO 4G can do that the Incredible can't is that you can disable the Sense UI on the EVO whereas on the Incredible you can't.
  20. kevinjmay

kevinjmay New Member

That's Sprint though isn't it? The person who started this thread is on Verizon.
Search tags for this page

ludicrous speed technology