Uncapped data mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatastic

Reaction score
I personally have never experienced any throtteling. This billing cycle would have been a good test one. I have used close to 40GB of data and have seen no significant change in my speeds. I am on a Droid 2 and have been averaging about 10GB or higher per billing cycle since I got it.

As far as them "robbing" you by throttling. You have unlimited data. They never said anything about speed. If they shut you off after the limit then I could see your argument but as it stands your argument is a little off the mark. Also the speed restrictions might only apply to high bandwidth sites or apps like youtube which would be totally within there rights thanks to the FCC net neutrality rules just put out.

Goatastic

Reaction score
I use my phone as my internet connection at home. I did go a bit overboard this month downloading torrents. I was pushing 8GB on my old env touch doing the same thing.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use my phone as my internet connection at home. I did go a bit overboard this month downloading torrents. I was pushing 8GB on my old env touch doing the same thing.

if i was VZW i'd try to throttle you too..

Goatastic

Reaction score
People who use like I did this month are the reason for what they are doing. They don't want people choking up there network all the time. I tried respectful with my usage. I only was downloading at night.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I personally have never experienced any throtteling. This billing cycle would have been a good test one. I have used close to 40GB of data and have seen no significant change in my speeds. I am on a Droid 2 and have been averaging about 10GB or higher per billing cycle since I got it.

As far as them "robbing" you by throttling. You have unlimited data. They never said anything about speed. If they shut you off after the limit then I could see your argument but as it stands your argument is a little off the mark. Also the speed restrictions might only apply to high bandwidth sites or apps like youtube which would be totally within there rights thanks to the FCC net neutrality rules just put out.

actually it is robbing me. Its called false advertisement. Promising 3g speeds w/o disclosing truths about their Service agreement. I would be willing to bet its not in their fine print either.

Selling someone on "3g" or "4g" and not providing based on a sales pitch and hook....is false advertisement. Paying for 3g and getting 1g or 2g because of my usage IS robbing me regardless of what kind of spin you try to put on it.

and incase you havent noticed, a lot of what legislation implements is considered robbery by any other standard...they just have the "badge" to do it.

Also, to my understanding of the bill, the service provider is responsible for disclosing service changes to their customers. I have not recieved or heard anything about them throttling my 3g back because of my usage when I pay for unlimited data at 3g speed. Yes...I know you are politically correct about unlimited data being different than speeds, but I pay for 3g...as advertised and agreed upon in contract with verizon...and have not read any mention to throttling my service upon reaching a cap, and have not seen any notice of it in my service agreement. Heck man...they dont even know the difference between .002 cents and .002 dollars. lol

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually read the fine print? I'm pretty sure a multibillion dollar corporation wouldn't just throttle you without telling you about it, hoping you'll never find out. Why do people insist that major companies are akin to mom and pop shops and act like they've uncovered some corporate conspiracy to hold the user down? I'm sure it's in some fine print somewhere...if its actually happening.

Better yet, are we sure that throttling is even taking place? We all know how powerful the placebo effect is. You tell someone that their not going to be throttled anymore, and they'll swear they're speeds have doubled or something crazy...Could just be some devs trying to release a "cool awesome feature!!" that actually does nothing...

Without any definitive proof that this actually does anything, or that Verizon even throttles, I'd say this mod is useless.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
A quick search found this from the data plan terms and conditions:

"The Data Plans or Features are for individual use only and you may not offer them for resale. We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network. We may monitor you compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law"

If they throttle, they have the right too, and anyone who thinks they're doing it without telling people about it are extremely naive and foolish.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
A quick search found this from the data plan terms and conditions:

"The Data Plans or Features are for individual use only and you may not offer them for resale. We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network. We may monitor you compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law"

If they throttle, they have the right too, and anyone who thinks they're doing it without telling people about it are extremely naive and foolish.

ok, looks like it is in fine print. I was reading over my service reciept and didnt see that. So basically if their network isnt up to par with the usage in your area, lots of customers could be only getting 2g speeds at the expense and advertisement of 3g. It wouldnt necessisarily mean my usage has to be high either...but...that other users in my area slow my connection speeds.

to me it sounds like a multibillion dollar company should expand their network rather than slow customer connection speeds and cramming a lot of users.

And there is no need to be derogatory toward me or anyone else because of fine print. Does calling someone naive and foolish really make us that, or does it make you pompous and arrogant? points to ponder.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just find it amazing that people are suggesting that corporations don't think of these things and would try to pull the wool over the consumer's eyes. So, yes, I'll stick with naive and foolish.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just find it amazing that people are suggesting that corporations don't think of these things and would try to pull the wool over the consumer's eyes. So, yes, I'll stick with naive and foolish.

Wrong about verizon...right about you.:)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly, maybe I said it wrong, but my underlying meaning should be clear. Here we are, a group of people who are clearly violating every TOS bullet point known to man, and when VZW tries to protect their network, they're viewed as a villian or accused of false advertising, blah blah blah. I don't know if it's entitlement or just plain denial, but too many people act this way. If you're going to violate your TOS knowingly, then VZW has a right to protect their network.

You got people using 40GB of data in one month, replacing their ISP with their cell phone network, and downloading gigs and gigs of torrents and everyone is an uproar because there may or not be some throttling going down. Then we got mods to prevent this throttling, further violating more TOS's.

People need to stop acting like they're owed everything and that every corporation is some evil conglomerate hell bent on taking over the world. It's lame. VZW is a business, and their goal is to protect their business. It makes no sense to suggest that they would try to trick their user or not tell their user the whole deal, when any one with half a brain can search their Terms and Conditions. People get up in arms about nothing.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
@Czerdrill crystal clear, & good for you but why does everything have to be a debate?

As for me I'm getting what I want one way or another. I have a $350 a month sense of entitlement to fulfill.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
@Czerdrill crystal clear, & good for you but why does everything have to be a debate?

As for me I'm getting what I want one way or another. I have a $350 a month sense of entitlement to fulfill.

as do a lot of people on these forums...just stop whining about it when VZW attempts to stop you.

Status
Not open for further replies.