Unbricking Your Droid X

xmptd

Reaction score
Thank you so much to the OP, and everyone else who contributed to this tutorial. I thought i was a goner after i accidentally bricked my phone by messing around with root explorer. Once again, thanks. I shall deliver you a batch of internet cookies and beerdancedroid

jaedi

Reaction score
You must have the latest drivers. Also make sure there is a power sources to your phone, I keep the phone charged with the ghetto charge and still plug the usb to the computer. That way I never worry about it stopping half way. Battery life is probably the most important thing when flashing your phone. You can flash the wrong file one thousand times but if the battery fails you are screwed.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

sanchez2504

Reaction score
Sorry guys to many pages to read through I need help my restarted by it's self and then it wouldn't reboot and have tried sbf and it's not working it says it pass but won't restart it just keeps going to bootloader please help

sanchez2504

Reaction score
This keeps coming up after sbf
Boot loader
Err:a5,70,70,00,1f

Mem_ map blank
Service req'd
Battery ok
Ok to program
Transfer mode:
USB

jesse.cctx

Reaction score
I'm stuck at the Red Eye Bootloop. Is there any way to get my system back without having to factory reset?

My situation is I rooted then flashed a new ROM. Had it for a while but ultimately didn't like it, so flashed back to stock. Then the got a verizon update to the latest system.

Now i'm stuck at the bootloop. I have a clockwork backup from when before i first flashed a custom rom, but it's from before the latest verizon OTA went out.

Can i maybe restore that backup over my currently bootlooping system? or will that get me in a worse spot? Will appreciate any help.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Try pulling the battery and holding power + home. This should bring you to an android and exclamation point. Hit search and you should see the stock recovery. Wipe data and cache and then reboot and see if that helps.

I'm stuck at the Red Eye Bootloop. Is there any way to get my system back without having to factory reset?

My situation is I rooted then flashed a new ROM. Had it for a while but ultimately didn't like it, so flashed back to stock. Then the got a verizon update to the latest system.

Now i'm stuck at the bootloop. I have a clockwork backup from when before i first flashed a custom rom, but it's from before the latest verizon OTA went out.

Can i maybe restore that backup over my currently bootlooping system? or will that get me in a worse spot? Will appreciate any help.

DroidForums Junkie!!

jesse.cctx

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I wiped the cache from the stock recovery. I did not wipe data, i'm trying to restore my system without having to wipe data. I am an idiot who did not sync his numbers to google.

i'm thinking about trying to things:
1) doing an advanced restore of my SYSTEM partition using my old backup. I hope clockwork has the advanced restore feature for just system that the other recovery has.

2) flash the latest sbf over my system as it is now

Which do you think has the better shot of working?

OP
X

xlivewire7x

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I wiped the cache from the stock recovery. I did not wipe data, i'm trying to restore my system without having to wipe data. I am an idiot who did not sync his numbers to google.

i'm thinking about trying to things:
1) doing an advanced restore of my SYSTEM partition using my old backup. I hope clockwork has the advanced restore feature for just system that the other recovery has.

2) flash the latest sbf over my system as it is now

Which do you think has the better shot of working?

I think your best shot is to go with option 2, but you can always try option 1 to start. I believe that if you were to try option 1 without success, the SBF should flash over any files that you may have changed so it wouldn't matter anyway. Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out, but personally I think you may have to do a data wipe in the end. Good luck! :)

HelpeRX

Reaction score
RE

Instead of cutting usb cord etc... then rendering it useless why not go to verizon buy a battery sbf your phone and return the battery the next day............... nevermind just read the part to borrow friends and or go to verizon =) I actually had this problem and went to verizon told em I installed a corrupt rom when my battery died and cant charge it. Hes like I cant give you advice on rooting but you can buy a battery and then return it ;). hahahah gotta love some people from verizon!

Last edited:

jesse.cctx

Reaction score
Wow i'm so dumb. I installed the custom ROM SYSTEM partition on my stock system. I should have labeled those things.

There's a tip for all who make backups, label as soon as you get back in your OS. Going to take the battery out cause it's stuck on the android logo, then flash the stock SYSTEM partition.

jesse.cctx

Reaction score
No luck on option 1, back at bootlooping, going to flash the SBF, hope I get to keep my data.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Whoooa sorry, fell asleep at my fiance's house! Sbf will put your phone back to completely stock as well as removing root so you'll have to start over anyway. Do you have Backup Assistant??

No luck on option 1, back at bootlooping, going to flash the SBF, hope I get to keep my data.

DroidForums Junkie!!

jesse.cctx

Reaction score
all good, SBF didn't work either. My phone boots straight into the bootloader. and i get the below text. going to read through the thread, i thought i read that this had happened to somebody already.

bootloader
Err:A5,70,70,00,00
(now showing different err, Err:A5,70,70,00,1F)

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

jesse.cctx

Reaction score
i think what happened is i didn't flash the latest sbh, going to try one about happy holidays. we'll see how this works. 6 mins left on my download.

reading pages 35-37 of this thread it looks like there were others with this same error who were able to get out of it by flashing the latest SBF.