Unbrick Pretty Much Anything!!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gflam, Jun 29, 2010.

1. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

*Much of this guide is copy and pasted from other sites, however, the method using the other sites is my own.*

When I really bricked my Droid to the point where i was about to buy a new one I did some searching and created a guide in the process. This will basically unbrick anything and get you back to your last back up.

***THIS IS FOR DROID 1 ONLY!!!***

Getting to 2.0.1 no root
    WHEN IN RSD LITE MAKE SURE NOT TO UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL IT IS DONE OR IT WILL BRICK IT BEYOND REPAIR BY ANYONE INCLUDING VERIZON
    Make sure your battery has at least 50% as well
    Download the Droid 2.0.1 sbf file and rsd lite

Connect your phone to USB and turn it off then turn it back on, while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD. (if stuck in boot loop don’t connect to usb just boot up holding up on the DPAD. Once screen is on connect to usb.)
    Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator

Click the ... next to the filename box and browse to VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf
    Hit start and below it should give you completion progress and all of that.
    Once your phone is done being flashed it will reboot and you will be back at stock 2.0.1 no root.
    Update to 2.1
    download droid 2.1

Rename 2.1 android.zip to update.zip (not update.zip.zip)
    Turn your phone off.
    Boot into recovery (hold x and hit power)
    Wait for a triangle with exclamation point to appear.
    Hit the volume up and camera button (half-way down) at the same time.
    Format data and cache
    Using the D-Pad select “apply update.zip” and press in the gold button on the D-Pad.
    Reboot
    Root 2.1
    WHEN IN RSD LITE MAKE SURE NOT TO UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL IT IS DONE OR IT WILL BRICK IT BEYOND REPAIR BY ANYONE INCLUDING VERIZON
    Download SPRecovery and ESE81

Connect phone to computer
    Open RSD Lite

Slide open your keyboard, hold up on the d-pad, then the power button for 5 seconds and release.
    Your phone should then boot to a black screen which is your bootloader.
    Click the … next to the filename box in RSD Lite and browse to SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf
    Double click and open the file.
    Click “start” and allow the SPRecovery SBF to flash. This should not take long.
    Allow for your phone to reboot and for RSD Lite to show that you are 100% and completed.
    Close RSD Lite and disconnect your phone. You now have SPRecovery installed on your Droid.
    Rename ESE81update.zip update.zip (again not updated.zip.zip)
    Place this at the root of the SDCard
    Reboot into recovery (power down and hold x when powering up)
    Select wipe data/factory reset (do twice)
    Select wipe cache partition (do twice)
    Choose install then allow update.zip installation and then choose Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
    The update will then install
    Once done tap the power button to go back a screen and select reboot
    Re-activate the phone
    Getting back to last back up
    Download from the market both rom manager and rom manager premium
    Select rom manager premium and flash clockwork recovery
    Then scroll to back up and restore and select manage and restore backups and select the newest back up
    Then we’re good dancedroid
    Download Section
    Rsd lite
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Droid 2.0.1 sbf file
    VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf

Droid 2.1 update

SPRecovery
    SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf

ESE81
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. dancingcrab

dancingcrab New Member

3. johnny quest

johnny quest New Member

bricked my phone and keeps rebooting

Ok, a friend of mine bricked his phone. It keeps rebooting. Trying to set it back but don't know if its possible. Does he have a perminent walmart demo (they only have a pictue screen) a little joke. but anyway, I can't access anything to reboot from SD card. What can he do?
  4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Have you tried the stuff in the first post?
  5. gflam

The first post i made will unbrick anything. Just follow the instructions and if you need help with anything send me a private message and i'll help you get it unbricked
  6. johnny quest

johnny quest New Member

I will tell my friend. I think he said that he forgot the recovery file and that caused it to brick. But he'll try it when he gets home. Thanks for your help. But the thing is I have now, is that the phone keeps turning off and on. I still can go into the recovery page. how would I load these files if my computer doesn't recognize the phone connection?
  7. gflam

M/ost of those files are flashed in rsd lite which is done from the bootloader not recovery mode i would go to the boot loader and let it just sit there for a while before flashing anything because if the phone phone shuts off then you'll have urself a really bricked droid. Flashing those files will fix anything wrong with the phone have ur friend send me a message before he does anything and i'll explain what do to do, give u guys some tips and help walk u guys through it.
  8. zitiger

zitiger New Member

HTC Desire

Does this work with HTC Desire?
    The rooting software said that would work
    but now my phone dont go past the HTC screen
    If any1 can confirm this works on the desire would be much appreciated =D
  9. gflam

Well if your phone is already "bricked" and you can't get past the htc screen or get into recovery mode why not try it? i would just before trying look for the htc files instead on google but if you can't find them i would give it a whirl what more could it do if your phone is already messed up?

Sorry i can't confirm that it either works or doesn't work on your phone the only phone i can really confirm it on is the moto droid because that is the phone i have and the only one i've used this guide on
  10. zitiger

zitiger New Member

i can get into recovery mode but how do i return my phone back to normal??
    I tried the recovery thing but that didnt work at all i just get the htc sign again its does not go past that....
    so im guessin my phone aint bricked i just have to flash it or something which is kinda pointless coz the flashin seems to fail....-.-
    thanks for ur time......
  11. johnny quest

johnny quest New Member

I'm loading the files RSD and the VZW 2.0, not going to update just yet. but the thing is that my computer doesn't read the phone at all. how can I load any files to the phone?
  12. gflam

Zitiger
    If you can get into recovery why can't you restore one of your back ups? or did you never do a back up? But in RSD Lite it always fails i don't think i've had one that didn't the trick is once it says it fails you just have to click show device and the phone will reboot and once it's all the way on you have succeeded.
    johnny quest
    When you open rsd lite and then you plug your phone in nothing comes up? on mine it comes up with a bunch of letters and numbers and says connected next to it that weird name is my phone. Do you just not have anything show up? or do you get the weird looking name?
  13. johnny quest

johnny quest New Member

I've been going back and forth on this thing. The battery won't charge at all. for a brief moment I was able to get on the bootloader screen and it says "battery low, can not program" but then it was able so I disconnected the phone from the outlet and rushed it to my laptop and did the RSD lite and it was loading. it was starting to download the image files but then the battery.... it died again. So, it disconnected me from the RSD.
    My friend never did a backup on the phone. He was doing a root thing and while in process he thought it was finished and disconnected the phone and it bricked. Now, he has an Incredible and gave me this. I have an Eris and love it, but if I can get this to work I might switch.
  14. gflam

Well u have to get it charged especially cause the flash in rsd lite takes about 10 minutes but since it died while flashing from what i've heard u may have bricked it completely. Just try to get it charged if u can't then there's nothing u can really do cause it won't flash unless it's charged
  15. johnny quest

johnny quest New Member

I placed an order for a battery so soon as it comes in I'll give it another try.
  16. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

If I may respecfully submit, there is an easier way to do this and that would be to use the actual FRG22D .sbf file that's been out for almost a month now and then MotoCache1's guide to root it.

Also, NEVER, EVER, EVER try using this method and/or .sbf files on ANY PHONE other than the Motorola A855. Anyone who suggests to 'just give it a try' is steering your phone down the path of certain destruction, and I surely wouldn't trust that person too much. These .sbf files are designed only for ONE phone model.
  17. gflam

Alright thanks for the knowledge i wasn't sure but it's good to know that they're only for the moto droid 1 and yea i have had that file sitting on my desktop for a while but haven't had the time to flash it or mess with it and see where it takes me. I'll upload it soon and rewrite the guide as it is a bit out of date now
  18. johnny quest

johnny quest New Member

Ok, I finally got the battery. I had to pick it up at the post office "finally". I inserted the battery and its in the boot loader screen. It says:

Bootloader
    2C.7C

Code Corrupt
    battery low
    cannot program

is there a battery charger out there? it seems as though I just wasted my time waiting for this battery, hoping that it'll be at least 50% and I can't even do the RSD. So, I'm about to give up and just get rid of the phone. Save me headaches.
  19. gflam

I've heard of separate droid battery chargers but i have to go to class now so i'll look it up when i get back for you but i'm pretty sure they exist.
    Lastly there are better guides out there now that will do the same thing my guide does but at a much quicker pace as mine is a bit out of date and there have been newer sbf files released and new strategies to fixing a "bricked phone" i however still use my guide and used it yesterday cause i like what works and don't mind taking a little while longer rather then having to learn a whole new method
  20. johnny quest

johnny quest New Member

The verizon store is getting me a separate battery charger for $12 and maybe I can charge the battery and finally do this unbricking method. Its very frustrating this waiting process. Thanks for responding.
Search tags for this page
atrix svf 105 1 2
droid x unbrick zip

how to unbrick android tablet

how to unbrick galaxy note 2

how to unbrick htc desire

how to unbrick htc desire bravo
how to unbrick htc desire to read sd card
htc desire c unbrick

htc desire unbrick

mb501 walmart .sbf index
unbrick a scroll