Unable to use pdanet or Easy Tether

VerizonHater

Reaction score
My Razr is version 4.1.2. I have tried to install pdanet/foxfi, following the instructions to the letter, with no luck. For whatever reason, the PC (Win XP) end of the app will not install. I have tried to install the Android driver separately and there is some kind of error relative to an INF file (?). I have also tried to install Easy Tether. That doesn't work either. I would like to be able to tether my phone to PC, without rooting the phone, in order to access the Internet. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
V

VerizonHater

Reaction score
My Razr is version 4.1.2. I have tried to install pdanet/foxfi, following the instructions to the letter, with no luck. For whatever reason, the PC (Win XP) end of the app will not install. I have tried to install the Android driver separately and there is some kind of error relative to an INF file (?). I have also tried to install Easy Tether. That doesn't work either. I would like to be able to tether my phone to PC, without rooting the phone, in order to access the Internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Knock, knock. Is there anybody out there?

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Download foxfi, turns your phone into a WiFi hotspot, just like an existing wireless router. Foxfi and pdanet are tied together as one company now (I think) but I think foxfi is easier, with no software to install on your computer

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!

OP
V

VerizonHater

Reaction score
Download foxfi, turns your phone into a WiFi hotspot, just like an existing wireless router. Foxfi and pdanet are tied together as one company now (I think) but I think foxfi is easier, with no software to install on your computer

We are the Droid!!
Resistance is futile!!

I appreciate the response. However, I don't necessarily want a mobile hotspot. I just want to be able to tether my phone like I used to be able to in order to access the Web, etc. I don't have Internet capability on my PC. This was the only way I could use the phones Internet connection until the last update effed this up. Gotta love Verizon!

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
This does give you Internet access, as a hotspot. Beyond this, I don't know about the Bluetooth or usb tethering using these programs.

We are the Droid!!
Resistance is futile!!

OP
V

VerizonHater

Reaction score
This does give you Internet access, as a hotspot. Beyond this, I don't know about the Bluetooth or usb tethering using these programs.

We are the Droid!!
Resistance is futile!!

OK, thank you for your help. The tethering is the issue. If I am unable to tether, hotspot or no hotspot, I am out of luck. And, as I said, I am not able tether because the apps are showing an error.

NCCamper

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MAXX running the OTA JB upgrade. After upgrading PDANet app on the phone (I had it pre-JB), and on my laptop, it works perfectly.I am able to get to the internet on my laptop, with the MAXX tethered. What is the exact error message you are seeing?

Thanks,
JP

OP
V

VerizonHater

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MAXX running the OTA JB upgrade. After upgrading PDANet app on the phone (I had it pre-JB), and on my laptop, it works perfectly.I am able to get to the internet on my laptop, with the MAXX tethered. What is the exact error message you are seeing?

Thanks,
JP

The error referenced something about an INF file. I can't be more specific than that, sorry. This occurred when attempting to install the tethering apps on the PC.

OP
V

VerizonHater

Reaction score
The error referenced something about an INF file. I can't be more specific than that, sorry. This occurred when attempting to install the tethering apps on the PC.

I believe this to be an issue with installing the necessary drivers, etc., in order for the phone to be tethered to the PC. It doesn't appear to be an issue specific to any tethering app: Foxfi, Pdanet+, Easy Tether, ad nauseum.

This has never been a problem before. In fact, I have used a USB cable to transfer files between my PC and RAZR in the past. I know, with every fiber of my being that the last systen update effed something up. I can no longer connect to my PC in order to transfer files, etc.

The PC recognizes a new hardware device and attempts to install the device. It hiccups when it hits whatever MTP is, as well as the Android ADB Interface and the XT912 hardware device.

The specific error is: "A service installation section in this INF is invalid."

I know that someone is going to recommend that I contact tech support. I'd rather not do that, only to have tell me that I have to do a reset of the phone. That's too much of a hassle for me.

So, if anybody has any ideas short of tossing this phone into the nearest body of water, I'm all ears.

jtj121

Reaction score
Hi it doesn't sound like it's a phone problem to me it sounds like you have the wrong installation package for your computer.Have you gone to the June fabrics site to see if there is a package for windows xp ?You may need the 32 bit version not the 64 bit which I believe is the package that tries to install when you hook the phone up to your PC. Hope this helps.

OP
V

VerizonHater

Reaction score
Hi it doesn't sound like it's a phone problem to me it sounds like you have the wrong installation package for your computer.Have you gone to the June fabrics site to see if there is a package for windows xp ?You may need the 32 bit version not the 64 bit which I believe is the package that tries to install when you hook the phone up to your PC. Hope this helps.

Your input is most appreciated. But, as I stated above, there is an issue with the PC not installing the hardware device (i.e., the RAZR phone) when I plug the phone into the USB port on the PC. Obviously, this is a major hurdle. If I can't connect to PC, I am dead in the water, don't you think?
I never had this problem prior to the phone update. I have been able to connect the phone before and now I can't. I have no where else to place the blame but on the update.
I can d/load all the correct files to my phone until I'm blue in the face; without a way to get them transferred to the PC, I'm sunk.
Another error that showed up referenced some Java runtime blah, blah, blah. Not to be redundant, but even if I could get the proper Java file, I have no way to get it on to the PC. I think I may have mentioned somewhere along the line that I do not have Internet access on my PC, only via the phone.
In summary, me thinks I'm screwed.

jtj121

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't realize your PC wouldn't recognize your phone do you happen to have an SD card reader on your PC or a USB memory stick ? If you have the card reader you could put files on your phones SD card take it out put it in your PC and install the files that way .Or with the USB memory stick you could ask a friend to download the files you need and save them to that and then plug it in to your PC and install then hook your phone up and see if it will work.

OP
V

VerizonHater

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't realize your PC wouldn't recognize your phone do you happen to have an SD card reader on your PC or a USB memory stick ? If you have the card reader you could put files on your phones SD card take it out put it in your PC and install the files that way .Or with the USB memory stick you could ask a friend to download the files you need and save them to that and then plug it in to your PC and install then hook your phone up and see if it will work.

No card reader. I do have a stick. Could probably use my sister-in-laws laptop. I will give that a shot when I get time. I'm also going to humble myself and call tech support to see what they suggest.
Since I firmly believe that this issue commenced with the last update, it's the least they can do to offer me their assistance.
I appreciate your advice. I actually never thought of that. Kinda makes one wish that there was some way to connect a stick to a phone.

OP
V

VerizonHater

Reaction score

OK, I d/loaded and installed the correct software/apps. It still doesn't work. Eff Verizon for causing all this mess! I'm just gonna forget the whole thing. Can't wait for Feb 2013. Bye-bye Verizon.