1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

"unable to start wifi" after removing sholes custom rom

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jayneo8, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jayneo8

jayneo8 New Member

So I went from 2.0.1 to sholes custom rom 1.1. After a few days of use I decided I didnt really like it as it seemed to be very unstable to me. So I went to nandroid and I reverted back to my old /system from the backup i made before I went to sholes. Everything seems to work fine (except voice search which I had to edit the packages.xml file to fix) except for the wifi. I go to turn wifi on and I get the error "unable to start wifi." I also get this error in safe mode.

I have tried replacing the files within "/system/etc/wifi" and "/data/misc/wifi" using the files from my old backup but this did not work.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I feel like I should replace the "boot" from my old backup but I am not %100 what this means and do not want to brick the phone. Is this a good idea?

Thanks.

EDIT: I've also noticed that when I enable airplane mode the phone reboots yet when it powers back on airplane mode is enabled.
    EDIT2: I never enabled the wifi tether from sholes rom but I feel like remnants of this 'app' are still around and possibly messing up my wifi.
  2. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

You need to revert the boot image also.
  3. srtfool32

srtfool32 Premium Member Premium Member

dont all restores update the boot.img? installing a nandoid always has boot.img correct?
  4. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

Yes, but he said that he only chose to restore /system only.
  5. jayneo8

jayneo8 New Member

Is it OK if I do the advanced recovery and ONLY restore the boot image now? Will this remove the custom nandroid backup utility? (not sure what its actually called)

edit: what im asking is if it will remove sprecovery?
  6. jayneo8

jayneo8 New Member

So I just went ahead and did this without waiting for a response to my previous post because im impatient. Wifi works fine! Thanks for the help.
  7. W1bird

W1bird New Member

Ok so i have the same exact problem as the first post. My wifi says unable to start. I went from sholes rom to bugless beast 7.4.
    I tried the tiwlan.drv download that didnt work. I also when into advanced recovery and just did a recovery on my boot. This didnt work either ( what does recoverying the booot mean is this back to the stock boot image ?) I have a custom boot animation could that be the prob ?

Please help. TY
  8. tpnk

tpnk New Member

the same pro with me, plz help
Search tags for this page

droid bionic unable to open wlan

motorola devour wifi unable to start

unable to start wifi on motorola blur