Unable to start Wi-Fi

Cypher

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently noticed that my Wi-Fi won't start ("unable to start wifi"). I have no idea where to even start to debug this. I have my droid OCed to 900 mhz. I was going to use a backup I made in sprecovery but I found that there is none! :( (I'm also kinda freaking out about that. Should I start from scratch?)

Does anyone have advice or a thread that answers this? I haven't been able to pin anything down using the search function.

Thanks ahead!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Considering you dont have an backup, I'm going to say something got jacked when you did your last flash. Your best bet is to start over from scratch and do it all over again. Sorry I dont have a better suggestion.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's worth a shot, but be prepared to have to wipe it completely if that doesnt work.

I really dont like that your Nandroid backup isnt there... It just makes me wary of anything else that may or may not work on the phone.

OP
C

Cypher

Reaction score
If thats what "simple nandroid backup" I do have that option.

The WiFi is the only thing I've noticed that has been not functioning correctly.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simple Nandroid backup will take the latest backup and restore automatically.

Advanced Nandroid backup will allow you to select from any of the backups you have and select which directories you want restored.

OP
C

Cypher

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up.

So if I didn't make a backup when I first got sprecovery am I SOL??

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up.

So if I didn't make a backup when I first got sprecovery am I SOL??

Assuming you didnt use DroidMod, and you didnt manually do a recovery, then yes, you'll be unable to revert to your previous state.

At this point, backup your important stuff, and start back over from scratch. Sorry dude.

OP
C

Cypher

Reaction score
I used DroidRootHelper...

Oh well. I'll give the WiFi fix a try and salvage what I can. Thanks again.

jimmyg

Reaction score
Hey, I figured I would ask here since I just rooted my droid like 3 days ago, I dont use WiFi to often however since I rooted droid and added Adamz Rom my WiFi just says "Unable to Start Wi-Fi". I can't get into any setting or able to add networks. just keeps saying i'm unable to.

Any ideas? :icon_eek:

G

gavron

Download a new AdamZ or ChevyNo1 kernel and install via update.zip.

Should correct the problem.

use search.

E

jimmyg

Reaction score
Anyone know how this is done? sorry new to this... also noticed that my phone will not work with GPS. might un-root, seems to much trouble and nothing is really being gained other than looks...

nerdbox08

Reaction score
There are plenty of benefits of rooting your phone, but if you don't understand them before you root, you really won't understand that.

You need to look for an over clocking kernel that is compatible with rom you are using, you should be able to find that in the thread you downloaded the rom from.

Wifi is complied with the kernel, not the rom. That is why you need to find a new file that isn't broken.

Just look for chevy under custom roms, download and install one of his OC kernels and you should be good to go. His kernels are some of the best out there.

Rename the file to update.zip, put it on the root of your sdxard, reboot into recovery and install the update.zip.

jimmyg

Reaction score
There are plenty of benefits of rooting your phone, but if you don't understand them before you root, you really won't understand that.

You need to look for an over clocking kernel that is compatible with rom you are using, you should be able to find that in the thread you downloaded the rom from.

Wifi is complied with the kernel, not the rom. That is why you need to find a new file that isn't broken.

Just look for chevy under custom roms, download and install one of his OC kernels and you should be good to go. His kernels are some of the best out there.

Rename the file to update.zip, put it on the root of your sdxard, reboot into recovery and install the update.zip.

Im using Adamz ROM will using Chevy's mess with anything?

Also, when i open Maps it finds where i am so GPS works... however when i try to use navagation it will lay out the map and give directions but sits @ finding GPS and it never moves. Would changing the kernel fix this?

*EDIT* installed Chevy's! fixed both of my problems! ty again!

Last edited: