Unable to root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by doktabl4ck, Jun 2, 2010.

1. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

I can't root my droid because the update.zip folder I downloaded is not working. I get 2 different errors when I try to apply the update. One of the errors I get has something with the update.zip being a directory and not a file type or something, and the second is something to do with the EODE or EODO. I have no idea what EODE is. I am following the steps on the complete how to guide in the forums. I have previously installed the 2.0.1 update before with no problems but this is on a different level. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Please help me out if you can. I wish to get this done tonight. Thank you.
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

My sense is that you have the update.zip file in a folder. It needs to be a stand alone file
  3. mwhartman

4. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

Even with the folder in files it still will not install. Is there something I am doing wrong?
  5. mwhartman

The update.zip file must be a stand alone. Is that where you have it on your SD card? An easy way-- mount your phone, drag and drop the update.zip to your SD card. Your computer will automatically place the update.zip in the card.

You have already rooted haven't you?
  6. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

The guide that I was following, does the root part along with the flash. So I thought that's what I was doing, but the guide says to wipe the phone before doing so, and that's what I did. Now I'm trying this RSD thing and it's not working either. My phone does not even show up in the list.
  7. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

Any suggestions??
  8. xXbrick84Xx

xXbrick84Xx New Member

Did you install the motorola drivers before running RSD lite?
  9. mike919

mike919 New Member

Are you running XP or Windows 7???

Have you found a tutorial for flashing back to 2.0.1 using the SBF file??

Install RSD Lite 4.6

install motorola drivers 32 AND 64 bit (just so you have them both should you need to switch PC's... it will only install the one compatible with your pc...)
    If you are running windows 7, make sure your profile is ADMINISTRATOR, if on XP, you probably already are, don't worry about it.

Take your update.zip (which i'm assuming you have already combined the .zip for the 2.1 update and the .bin file to gain superuser.apk) and put it on the ROOT of your SD card. Not in ANY folder, just straight onto SD. (If you aren't sure the root process worked, go into your update.zip go to system, go to app, and make sure you see "superuser.apk".. if you do the root should work) (if you don't see superuser.apk in your update.zip, let me know and I will send you mine)

****MAKE SURE YOUR UPDATE.ZIP IS ON THE ROOT OF YOUR SD CARD AND SUPERUSER.APK IS in the /system/app folder before moving on!!!

Once you have all the above complete, turn your phone off and connect it to your PC, flip up the keyboard and hold up on the d-pad and power on phone to access the "bootloader" screen. Phone should say bootloader, battery ok, ok to program and so on.

Start up RSD Lite 4.6. BEFORE you even select your SBF file, click the text "connected" where you see the flashing status bar. It will highlight that line and in the top left where its blank, you should see the stats of your phone. (most say n/a or 0, thats OK!)

use the "..." to select your SBF 2.0.1 flash file

Click Show device

Click start.

no matter HOW LONG it takes, WAIT until your phone either reboots, or if for some reason RSD says "fail" BUT your phone says SW COMPLETE, it still worked. (sometimes my phone wil say SW in process, but RSD will say fail... this is ok... before you disconnect your phone, click "start" again on RSD light and it should finish the process and restart your phone) once your phone starts booting, you can disconnect.

Also, after disconnecting, you can close RSD lite... it will give you a warning that you can disregard, since your phone is already flashed and disconnected it will not hurt anything. Just close RSD lite.

WARNING! DO NOT REMOVE CORD FROM PC OR PHONE UNTIL YOU GET YOUR PHONE INTO THE REBOOT STAGE.

Ok, so now that you are flashed back to 2.0.1 its time to root. before even logging in and activating your phone (or before you even touch the little green droid guy), shut it down after initial reboot (this is assuming you completed the steps above and your update.zip is still on the root of your SD card...)

flip open your keyboard and hold X and power on phone. do not let go of X until you get the stock recovery screen. Hold up on the volume and press the camera button at the same time. (press camera button only half way) Once your menu comes up, Use the D-pad and gold enter button to just hit apply update.zip and 2.1 should load WITH root access...

Have you done ALL of the above??? if you haven't done all thats above, thats why you are having problems... please read thoroughly as missing just one step will cause errors...

anything you do to your phone is not my fault!
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  10. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

In the instructions they tell you to download the software before installing drivers which is what I did. I will try the uninstall of the software and put the drivers on first.
  11. mike919

mike919 New Member

it shouldn't matter.. the drivers are to detect your phone and install the software from your phone so when you start up RSD lite everything is recognized... i would just do it the way the tutorial says... load the drivers, install the software, plug your phone in and wait for windows to tell you your new hardware has been installed successfully... THEN unplug your phone if you'd like and start the RSD process.

ok i worded the last part wrong obviously you can't use RSD without the phone connected... but i meant un plug it once windows says your hardware is installed and ready to use... shut the phone off, connect it to the PC and THEN start the RSD process...
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  12. mike919

mike919 New Member

again what OS are you running??
  13. mike919

mike919 New Member

also, everything i wrote step by step is assuming you were using a tutorial to flash using the 2.0.1 SBF file... i guess i should have verified what you are doing before writing soemthing out... what EXACTLY has been your proces so far?
  14. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

Last night I did an uninstall of the software, reloaded drivers, and fiddled around with the software and my phone and finally got it to see the phone in the bootloader. The problem I am having now is getting the SBF file to flash the phone. It goes through the process but does nothing then gets stuck in the bootloader screen, and the software says fail and just stays there. I read through the forums and saw a number of people had the same problem but there were no responses as to how a resolution to this issue. The only "advise" was to wait til the phone said completed. When trying to upload the flash image to the phone there was no activity on the phone at all during the process. To me this means the software did nothing and there was no communication between the software and the phone. I did leave the phone alone for 45 mins and there was nothing to show for it when I came back. There has to be another way to flash the SBF recovery image to the phone without RSD Lite, and I am using win XP.
  15. mike919

mike919 New Member

Ok, so you are trying to flash the RECOVERY image and NOT the 2.0.1 SBF?? you should definitely try using the 2.0.1 SBF... the problem is not in your software and drivers... so when you are on the bootloader screen it says
    batter ok
    ok to program

correct?

and when you plug the USB into your phone it says USB connected

correct?
  16. mike919

mike919 New Member

17. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

I did try to install the phone onto windows and then do the process but it was the same result.
  18. doktabl4ck

doktabl4ck New Member

I can already tell that, that SBF file is different than the one I was using last night or trying to use last night. When I get off of work I will try your process. Thank you.
  19. mike919

mike919 New Member

no prob let me know how it goes. I'm on all the time.
  20. mike919

mike919 New Member

also, i must warn you, this is a complete flash of the phone... SD contents will be fine, but all applications will have to be redownloaded from the market... google should sync your contacts back in after a minute or two.
Search tags for this page
htc unable to root cant find zip
i am unable to root my note 3 after update
unable to flash droid x says unable to read sugnature
unable to install root for droid razr 4.1.2
unable to root droid bionic android 4.1.2

unable to root droid razr

unable to root droid razr 4.1.2
unable to root my android
unable to root razr

unable to update software on rooted droid x