Unable to Root Optimus V (no shell)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by HuckleSmothered, Apr 1, 2012.

1. HuckleSmothered

HuckleSmothered New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a new Virgin Mobile phone, the LG Optimus V. Started the process of rooting and flashing it and ran into problems. Not my first flashing but this is a new problem to me that I didn't get any useful search results for.
    I boot the phone into the recovery console (Home-VolumeUp-Power). Then I use adb to try to get a shell. I use the command "adb shell" and get the following error:
    exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory​

I powered up normally and went in with a terminal emulator and there is indeed a /system/bin/sh. Owned by root and in the shell group. Permissions are 755.

Using the terminal emulator, I obviously can't do anything. No permissions.

I went back into the recovery console and tried what I could using adb. Nothing happening. I could list every command I tried, but that's a long list. And it all gave me the same message.

Maybe /system isn't being mounted? On my previous two Droids I don't think /system was mounted and always had to do that when I used adb. But adb would still give me a shell. Not sure about the details, since it worked, I didn't question it (probably should have).

In the terminal emulator, my /system is /dev/block/mtdblock5 (ro).

Any suggestions on how to get root and flash this new Optimus V? I only have a linux machine available, so Windows utilities aren't an option for me right now.
  2. HuckleSmothered

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?
  3. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]From what little experience I have using Cygwin, I would say that error comes because, maybe, you are issuing adb commands but your adb.exe is not in the folder/directory that you are issuing commands from and/or you have a "path" problem to adb.exe.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I have found that it is much easier to create a separate folder for each project, and place adb.exe, [/FONT]AdbWinApi.dll, and AdbWinUsbApi.dll in that folder, along with cmd.exe (the command prompt window not sure what it is called in Linux). Try that with your Linux equivalent files and see if you can get the shell.
  4. HuckleSmothered

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the response! I was starting to think no one was out there ;-)

I just tried to "adb shell" into the phone while making sure I was in the same directory running the correct executable. Nothing different unfortunately.

One thing I did find out while tinkering some more, is that I can do the "adb shell" successfully while NOT in recovery mode. If the phone is just powered up and in normal usage mode, adb works. Except I'm in as the id of "shell." Which prevents me from running anything like psneuter. Well, that or the non-recovery mode prevent me from running anything. It appears to just give me the /system/bin/sh not found error when the phone is in recovery mode.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  5. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
Search tags for this page

/system/bin/sh: /system/etc/mkshrc[8]: id: not found

adb shell /system/bin/sh not found

adb shell unable to obtain root

can't get superuser permission in terminal on optimus v

exec'/system/bin/sh failed: no such file or directory (2) wi

failed to get shell root problem

lg optimus v rom list