Unable to input text

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by stevo4832, Dec 31, 2009.

1. stevo4832

stevo4832 New Member

Occasionally I am unable to input text in the messaging applications. The onscreen keyboard shows up but nothing shows up.

Anyone else have this issue?
  2. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl New Member

What messaging application(s) are you using? That will help people to troubleshoot with you.
  3. stevo4832

stevo4832 New Member

Handscent but it also happened with the original Messaging application.
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

been using handcent for over a month and have not seen this....
    any pattern to it? using another app before texting?
  5. vettecbtc

vettecbtc New Member

Keyboard text messaging problem

I am having the same problem, as well as a similar one... Every few times when I go to answer a text, from either the landscape or portrait on-screen keyboard, it comes up, but won't let me type... In portrait, the keyboard looks fine, but nothing types; in landscape, the keyboard comes most of the way up, but does not fully load, and does not let me type... I need to go out and back in to the text to get it to work... Physical keyboard always works... Is anyone else having this same problem? I am using the original messaging program that came with the Droid... I just want to make sure I don't need to replace the phone to get it to work right :wacko:
  6. Istus

Istus New Member

Do you have any issues with other text fields or just messaging programs?
  7. jts1207

jts1207 New Member

I had a problem that whenever I'd type a text the search window would open and my text would appear. .......had to power off twice now to fix it
  8. msu

msu New Member

I've been having this problem also or seems to be the same. I get a txt while I'm on the home screen and (I have it set to pop up on screen), I push in the box to answer, my keyboard comes up and covers what I'm typing, so I can't see what the heck I'm typing unless I close the keyboard. This is really pissing me off. I'm wondering if the recent update messed this up cause it was working fine before.

However, I did notice a couple hours ago if I have pandora up full screen and I get a text, then the msg jumps up on the screen while keyboard is open and I can see what I type. Very strange. I've tried all sorts of things and can't fix it.
  9. drewshaver

drewshaver New Member

that has happened to me with the stock messaging app, haven't seen it in a while though
  10. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

I had this today with Handcent for the first time. I had to close the app and then do a search in the browser to get the text field to populate. After relaunching Handcent it worked properly.
  11. lovekmats

lovekmats New Member

I use the stock messaging app and have SMS Popup and it happened to me. It was too annoyingn for me because it would happen a LOT. I ended up uninstalling SMS Popup one day assuming it was the culprit, and the problem stopped occuring. Not sure if it's the same case with you, though. :/
  12. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

I have it happen with the handsent pop up once or twice a week. Before the last update, when it would happen, I could still input texct, I just couldnt see it. After the latest update, if the text doesnt show, it isnt there. I just close the popup and open the app and it works fine from there.
  13. skidemn

skidemn New Member

I have the same problem, but I wasn't sure it was Handcent or the Swype keyboard causing it.
  14. masterxchief

masterxchief New Member

I have this happen to me at least once a week and its annoying as hell. By any chance do those with the issue use some sort of task manager?
  15. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Had that exact same problem one time this week. I am using the regular messaging app and sms pop-up. I just closed it out and reopened. No biggie. I look at it as one of those "chit happenes" moments. Now if it happened on a regular basis I might worry.
  16. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

I had a similar problem yesterday, but it was on the Facebook app. I was using the physical keyboard, and nothing would come up from my typing. it was so annoying that I just put my droid away for the night. I don't know what happened, but it sucks!
  17. m3kilpat

m3kilpat Member

Like other people I am having this same problem. I use stock messaging and sms popup. I turned sms popup off and still received the problem (but not uninstalled). I get this issue multiple times a day and it is extremely annoying...as in like 50% of the time i respond to a text. I just back out to the main messages screen and it fixes the issue, but still annoying as hell. I hope someone figures out the cause or if it's a messaging issue that it is fixed in the update.

I've also only noticed this in the messaging app and nowhere else. Though I don't type in many other places apart from the browser and market.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  18. vettecbtc

vettecbtc New Member

I also was using the SMS popup with the stock messaging program... Sounds to me like that might be the culprit... I uninstalled, but also just switched to Handscent last night... So far, I'm liking it better... But my guess is that uninstalling SMS popup may resolve the problem most of the time... If not, it may have had something to do with an update.
  19. Kerchak

Kerchak New Member

I have this problem happen every once in a while too. It's happened to me while using my normal texting or SMS texting. It's also happened when I was using Facebook and Youtube. I noticed that the box where your text appears is highlighted with an orange box and when this problem occurs, it's all grayed out. The orange box isn't there. It forces me to use the sliding keyboard (which I don't like doing because I have that stupid hard case that scratches your phone when you slide it open) and that seems to be the only way to get the text to show up. This problem and the no sound from ear piece after headphone usage seem to be the two main problems with the Droid and both are extremely annoying.
  20. ethant

ethant New Member

I have the same problem. I do not use SMS popup. When it occurs on my phone all text entry is effected (SMS, GTalk, search, etc.) Waiting a while or powercycling are the only things that seem to fix it.
Search tags for this page

android unable to type

android wont input text in browser

droid 3 wont let me type
droid x2 unable to type
my android phone wont open the keyboard when i text
my droid x 2 wont type
my phone wont let me type text message

unable to type android

unable to type on android

unable to type on android phone

unable to type on phone