Unable to Find .zip Files in ClockWorkMod Recovery

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by beefydoc, Jul 10, 2010.

1. beefydoc

beefydoc New Member

Sorry if this is explained in detail somewhere else, but I am relatively new to the world of rooted Droids. I have had BB v0.4 running on my Droid for about 2 weeks. In that time, I have installed Blue Energy and am currently running the RedLINE theme, both of which are awesome.I am happy and love the new world of rooted Droids that has opened up to me.
    I feel I have a decent handle on peeling back the programming layers to customize my phone, but I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I am trying to install some different kernels ( i currently run 2.6.32.9-g103d848) that is a part of BBv0.4). I am trying to install a low voltage kernel from p3Droid to see how my phone handles it. I downloaded the kernel as a .zip file straight to my SD card's main area, not in a sub folder. I go into ROM manager hit "install from SD card", find the file, I already have a backup of my existing ROM so i don't check that , and I don't check to wipe data and cache, I reboot and get a repeating message that the E: won't mount (which I know means the SD card) it then boots into ClockworkMod Recovery v2.0.1.3.
    Here I should share that I had this problem of the SD card not mounting when I boot, when I installed the 2 themes I have used. After 10-15 tries eventually the SD card mounted and the themes were installed and everything was fine.
    I can't seem to get the kernel to install because I can't get the SD card to mount. MY QUESTION IS THIS:
    When the SD card does not mount, shouldn't I be able to go into "install zip from SD card" while in ClockworkMod Recovery, find the .zip file and install it from there? The problem is that all of the rooted .zip files I have downloaded (BB v0.4, RedLINE, Blue Energy, and the P3Droid kernel) are all sitting in separate .zip files out in the open on my SD card. I see them when I search the SD card from ROM manager, I see them when I search the SD card on Astro, but when I am in ClockworkMod Recovery, and I go into the SD file to download the kernel, not only is that file not there but none of the .zip files on my card are listed. What am I missing?
    It would be nice to just install from ROM manager, but the posts are filled with non-mounting SD card issues like I have with various theories of the reason for the problem. But it shouldn't matter b/c I should be able to install the file from ClockworkMod right? Why isn't the file listed there in recovery when the file IS literally there on the SD card. Or am I totally missing something. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Jboxen

Jboxen Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I have this sd card not mounting problem as well, its very annoying.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. psiuglen

psiuglen New Member

Not sure but mine is the same way, has a Sandisk card. I have found that if I am trying it unplugged...sometimes plugging it into the computer and rebooting again will get me into recovery and it will mount and work fine. And wait a few moments before rebooting. And pull the battery. And sacrifice a goat.

Can be frustrating.
  4. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

Not positive what is causing your intermittent problem. From reading your post above, is sounds like you're saying you could find your SD Card while in recovery, but not see any files.

First I would try the easiest thing which would be to re-flash the ClockworkMod Recovery Image in ROM Manager and then reboot into recovery and navigate through your SD Card and see if your files show up.

If that didn't work, I recommend plugging your droid into your computer with your USB cable and mounting your SD Card and then copy everything off it and onto your computer temporarily. Format your SD Card with your droid and copy all your files back onto it.

Once that is done reboot back into recovery and navigate through your SD Card and see if your files show up.

If you start seeing your files show up consistently, you can go ahead and flash your kernal from ROM Manager or Recovery. Just be sure to have a good backup in case you get in a boot loop.

Mike
  5. beefydoc

beefydoc New Member

I got the new kernel flashed. It was not as stable as the stock kernel with BB v0.4. But when I tried to install the old kernel I ran into a new problem. Essentially got into a type of boot loop, where When I tried to Install a ROM from the SD card through ROM manager nothing would happen. The phone would show the white M try to boot, then it would skip over installing the ROM, essentially it would blink and I'd see the white M again and then it would boot up , essentially skipping over ClockworkMod. I couldn't even boot up into recovery pressing the start button and X at the same time. It would go to the white M until I stopped pressing the X(whether it was after 30 seconds or 3 minutes) and then it would start up in the same unstable ROM.
    After a lot of searching through the forums, I emptied the download cache in ROM manager, flashed back and forth between SPRecovery and ClockworkMod 3-4 times and was able to then immediately reinstall BB v0.4 and the stock kernel from the SD card in ROM manager. Everything seems to be back to normal for the time being.
    I also placed the contents of my SD card on my PC reformatted the SD card and replaced the contents to the SD card. But I still don't see any of the .zip files on the SD card now that I can boot into recovery again. Still not sure what the problem is there. As long as I can reinstall through ROM manager though, I should be okay.
  6. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

Glad to hear you are back up and running. Odd about not seeing zip files in the root of your SD card. I take it you can see files inside of folders? Try creating a new folder and placing a couple of the zip files you have in the root of your SD Card into the new folder and see if they show up when you navigate to them while in recovery.

You really need to have recovery and your SD Card working properly if you are planning on continuing to flash ROMS.

Mike
  7. MansterRock

MansterRock New Member

I have an issue with .zips not showing up in directories in CM recovery.

So far All I can trace it back to roms/kernels/etc downloaded with ROM Manager are not showing up. Files I transfered via usb or downloaded via web browser are there. I wonder if ROM manager is downloading/storing in a different format these days.

I deleted the clockworkmod/download directory and installed bb v.4. After it installed the ROM, i browsed the sd card and the only file of ROM size was in a clockworkmod/download/bit.ly called aipR7D

Sounds to me clockworkmod related issue rather than sd card issue

Updated: The ROM manager saved the file as /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/bit.ly/aipR7D it's about 80MB in size.

When you download the file from the thread at alldroid.org it's link is http://bit.ly/aip7RD which initiates a download of FRF84BV04.zip

so definitely think it's a ROM manager issue, not CM recovery.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  8. Dmoralize

Dmoralize New Member

When you boot into clockwork recovery and select "install zip from SDcard" and then "Choose zip from SDcard" are you seeing any folders or files?

Excuse me if this sounds stupid, but I have so many folders on my SDcard that when I go to "Choose zip from SDcard" in clockwork, the files don't show on the screen unless I scroll all the way to the bottom. Maybe that's all it is.
  9. MansterRock

MansterRock New Member

The file that ROM manager downloads is /sdcard/clockworkmod/bit.ly/aip7RD
    The name of the file is aip7RD (no extension) and it is 77MB in size.

Using ClockworkMod Recovery, I can browse all the way to /sdcard/clockworkmod/downloads/bit.ly but there are no files there.

The file that I download separately from the link http://bit.ly/aip7RD is called FRF84BV04.zip and is saved as /sdcard/download/FRF84BV04.zip. I can browse to /sdcard/download and CM Recovery sees the .zip file.

It is the same size as the aipR7D file that Rom Manager saved

It seems that ROM Manager is downloading the file from the download link, but not naming it correctly.

Similar to this, but also happening with other ROMs from InsaneNemesis and CM6. That is why I think its a Rom Manager issue.

I am going to try renaming aip7RD file to aip7RD.zip and see if it can install it.

I also have the issue with CM Recovery having to scroll past whats visible on screen to get to the clockworkmod directory
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
Search tags for this page
android rom files not showing in recovery mode

can't find zip file in clockworkmod

can't locate zip file for clockworkmod

clockworkmod not showing zip

clockworkmod recovery not seeing zip

install zip from sd card missing

install zip from sdcard no files found

recovery mode not come install zip file is not listed my androis
rom files not showing in recovery mode
why does clockwork say that the files are not found when try