Unable to dial or text after GB, reboot fixes, issue returns after a few days

ccartertn

Reaction score
Non-rooted Droid X. Since the OTA Gingerbread update, my phone will stop dialing or sending texts. If you go into dialer, put in the number and hit "send", the phone just returns to the home screen with total time of call 0... Same thing happens when trying to send a text - in handcent, a red x appears saying it was undelivered.
As I mentioned, a reboot fixes. However, it occurs again in a day or two.
Some apps that I have loaded that are worth noting are: Handcent, Launcher Pro Plus, Tasker, Pandora...
I am on my wifi most all the time while at the office while docked to my pc via usb.

One suggestion was to put into airplane mode and take out but that did not correct.

This is frustrating as it seems to always happen when I am in a hurry and need to make a call!

OP
ccartertn

ccartertn

Reaction score
happened again today...

Seems like it is every 2 or 3 days. Could not see anything in any logs as to why it happened. Tried killing several apps but still could not dial.

Dialer just ends with "Call time 00:00"

OP
ccartertn

ccartertn

Reaction score
Bug

This seems to be a bug that several people are having. I saw several replies to a post like this in a Motorola Droid X forum.
I will follow that and post updates on any fixes or workarounds.

Tilphor

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Here's another possible data point.

This only happens after my phone has been docked to my multimedia station over night.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

CP6608

Reaction score
My wife's droid is identical to the OP. Non-rooted stock droid running gb and will occassionally have the dialing issues and texts not being sent. We took it Verizon today, what a waste of time. The "tech" assistant said they were not aware of ANY problems with GB and then proceeded to inform my wife and I that it must be a problem with certain apps interacting. He informed me to remove ATK which I told my wife to do weeks ago anyways, and he also said that the Wifi being on might interrupt phone calls. I told him that is not the case as my phone has NEVER had a problem with making calls while on wifi. He dialed the *228 and reprogrammed and updated the roaming, but those were already fine. He said the next step is to do a factory reset if the problem persists. I informed him that these problems never happened on froyo and a reset would just take us back to square one. He then said the reset will take the phone back to froyo but when I informed him that it wouldn't he abruptly cut me off. He then said all of the contacts and apps are backed up through google, which if you have backup assistant, be aware your contacts are NOT backed up throught google. He then argued this point with me until I proved to him that there was no backup to google, and then he said well you could just put it on your sd card. I informed him that we would not be requesting Verizon's assistance any further regarding this phone because any further problems we are going to root and put a custom ROM on it. He was rather unsatisfied with my response. Sorry to drage this on so long, but long story short, do not go to verizon with this problem as they will do nothing but offer to factory reset the phone. If anyone comes up with some solutions, please post them here. Hope this helps anyone thinking of going to verizon for solutions.

OP
ccartertn

ccartertn

Reaction score
Happened again this morning as I was trying to check the weather before a morning bike ride. Network error.
Basically, the 3G gets hosed.
@CP6608 - I don't actually dock but I do have it connected to my PC via USB charging mostly all day.

I think this is something they are going to have to patch.
It would be nice to find a workaround though to keep from having to reboot...

OP
ccartertn

ccartertn

Reaction score
Happened again today. Decided to post issue in Motorola Forum where other people were having the issue:

Just went thru a support "chat" session about this issue. Referenced this forum. Passed me on to level 2 support. First they had heard of the issue???? I am sure it has been reported - just explained in different ways.
He suggested battery factory reset - I said "No, this is proven not to work."
He suggested pulling battery for 15 minutes - I said I would try but that he needed to look at the MOTOROLA forums and see what has already been tried.
I suggested that there may be legal ramifications from this as people may miss emergency calls or delayed in making emergency calls.
I suggested that this be escalated.
I encourage everyone to at least call in this issue so that they will do something about it.

For now. I am just going to reboot first thing every morning....

Jejackson

Reaction score
I will join along in the crusade to fix this problem, sometimes its upwards of 3+ minutes to successfully get a call through with the entire reboot and reload process. Thankfully I haven't had an emergency yet.

VidProQuo

Reaction score
Add me to the list of people having the "call ends as soon as it's dialed" problem after "updating" to Gingerbread. I am running an absolutely stock DroidX. This is a pain. Also, after the "update", the phone started periodically rebooting for no reason.

sabroso

Reaction score
We need to said to Motorola "We know what you did Last Summer"

I will join along in the crusade to fix this problem, sometimes its upwards of 3+ minutes to successfully get a call through with the entire reboot and reload process. Thankfully I haven't had an emergency yet.
+1 for this annoying issue, In my case I only can't make call never had a TEXT issue!!!
Folks,
I have a Verizon DroidX with Pre-rooted Gingerbread Stock 2.2.3 With Blur 4.5.596 out of the United State. and I have the same issue.
The difference is I know why it happends is something really easy to replicate
By the way:
a) Updating Roaming List doesn't fix it.
b) Wipe data/factory reset donesn't fix it.
c) The issue is not from Verizon is from Motorola that release a GB too bugy just to get over DroidX and forget it. WE NEED ALL THE PEOPLE TO MAKE NOISE AND PUSH HARDER ALL THE ISSUE THAT official GB has because Verizon already ask to motorola for an update and IF WE NOT MAKE NOISE OF ALL THE BUGS the new release will not include all the fix we need.

Ok, so the issue is so simple as just freeze the "VoiceMail Phone 2.3.3"
and you will get the same ISSUE here described.
That is why when you reboot it is fixed.

PLEASE FOLKS WE NEED TO MAKE NOISE TO BE INCLUDE IN THE FIXED NEW RELEASE of MOTOBLUR FOR DROIDX.
Which is going to be just a fixed 2.3.3 (and no 2.3.4 improvements for us)

Best Regards Sa6r0s0 :greendroid:

Last edited:
OP
ccartertn

ccartertn

Reaction score
Happened again today...

I was running late before a conference call. When I dialed the number, got the "00:00". So annoying to have to reboot when you are already running late!

Trying to get in the habit of rebooting first thing in the morning.

Rumor is that a fix is in process.

OP
ccartertn

ccartertn

Reaction score
I saw something on a Motorola forum about a "radio fix".
May be just a rumor and even if true, who knows how long before it would be available.