Unable to connect Corp Outlook from Droid

Ukk

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I bought droid couple of days back..so excited with all the apps, look and feel but when I am trying to connect to my Corporate Outlook 2007 (Microsoft exchange) I keep getting error message saying

"This Exchange ActiveSync Server requires security features your phone does not support"

I have contacted Motorola support and their solution is to reconfigure our Exchange system to not require any password security?which my IT department is not willing to change the security.

Did anyone overcome this issue?Please share your experiences

Big Cam

Reaction score
You should have done better research before getting the droid.

Like the only thing it doesn't do is secure email.

mddx

Reaction score
Did you try looking in the Market for "Exchange by Touchdown", it seems to be a favorite with very high reviews ?

OP
U

Ukk

Reaction score
I thought Droid is close to Iphone, my bad din do enough research.

Thanks mddx, if this doesn't works out I will return this and will buy Iphone.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought droid couple of days back..so excited with all the apps, look and feel but when I am trying to connect to my Corporate Outlook 2007 (Microsoft exchange) I keep getting error message saying
You can omit Outlook since it's not relevant. Outlook sync is an entirely separate matter from Exchange sync.

+1 for Touchdown -- it's your best bet IIRC.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't use Touchdown but I think Takeshi is correct about it being your best option. If that doesn't work for you, however, there are some other options.

For example, I have my Exchange email forwarded to my ISP's server (Comcast) along with other email from outside my company. Once the email is at the Comcast server, I can have it forwarded to the gmail server where I can manage it easily.

This may or may not work for you depending on the security your firm imposes on email. But even if your IT department refuses to cooperate, you can always forward email from your outlook email client to gmail via "rules" on Outlook.

Any of these solutions may leave you with the problem of deleting email in two places, i.e. your ISP server and your firm's Exchange server. But that may not necessarily be a disadvantage if you need an archive of email maintained somewhere.

P.S. If you or your firm is concerned about the security of email on your phone, as many are, you can secure your entire email app on your Droid with an app called "Protector." It allows you to place a pin/password on any application on your phone (including email.) So even if you lose your phone, the email cannot be accessed.

swallman

Reaction score
Another vote for TouchDown. Way better than the built-in Exchange client. You get a 30-day trial so you can see if it will do everything you need it to.

LT*

Reaction score
I just installed Touchdown to test with my corporate email. I was unsure if it would work since I work in health care and due to confidentiality issues with patient information, IT security is high. So far it is synced and working flawlessly. Email is hitting the droid before my desktop. If this continues to work like this, I will gladly pay the $20.

OP
U

Ukk

Reaction score
I have downloaded and installed 5 day trial version of Touchdown (Andorid 2.0) to my Droid phone, but I am not seeing any Settings button on the main screen of Touch down - The only buttons i see are Folder,
Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Shopping cart.

How can I configure with these options, to make sure this app works to access my Corporate Emails? Please advise.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I have downloaded and installed 5 day trial version of Touchdown (Andorid 2.0) to my Droid phone, but I am not seeing any Settings button on the main screen of Touch down - The only buttons i see are Folder,

How can I configure with these options, to make sure this app works to access my Corporate Emails? Please advise.

It is the gear icon on the bottom of the left column of icons.

tehpriest

Reaction score

Press the bottom cog like settings icon and the process starts automatically

nateccnn

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

"This Exchange ActiveSync Server requires security features your phone does not support"

I have contacted Motorola support and their solution is to reconfigure our Exchange system to not require any password security?which my IT department is not willing to change the security.

Did anyone overcome this issue?Please share your experiences

You should do some research but I don't think you'll find the same information others are posting here. First...you don't sync to outlook with a droid. Quit trying. Outlook resides on your desktop. You store emails and contacts in a PST file on your local hard drive. Many of the smartphones wil sync via USB to that PST file so you have a copy of what is on your desktop PC (or laptop). Your desktop requests new email from your email server. You can chose to delete the message from the server once it is downloaded to the desktop. That is all done through a POP3 or IMAP account.

The world is starting to migrate to what is refered to as Cloud Computing where applications reside on a server, not on the desktop. This is what Exchange is set up for. In an Exchange environment you leave the emails and contacts and calanders on your exchange server and sync the desktop to it instead of downloading the data to a PST file. Your Droid can do the same thing. Now your Droid has the exact same data your desktop has becasue they both poll the Exchange Server for the data file. In the previous method your smartphone only had data up to the most recent USB sync. So you sync before you go home from work and you don't get new data until you go to work the next morning. You do get new emails through the POP3 and you can send through the SMTP...but those emails will be missing from the desktop the next day. A two way sync may get most of them but I always had some that failed. With Exchange the server does all the work and the desktop and smartphone are just terminal emulators connected to it.

As for security...I checked the boxes that require SSL connections and I have secure login. It may not be the same level that your IT department currently uses, but there is a secure connection available. Security certificates are another story. I don't use them...we make our own. So I will defer to others for that expertise.

If you research and look for the right stuff you will find the answers. You do not need Touchdown to do what the Droid already has built in. But Touchdown will get you there in easier steps with less heartburn between you and the IT department. I'm just saying it is not neccesary.

Nate

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
For those who prefer to work directly with Exchange, Nate's advice (as well as the other posts touting Touchdown) is worth heeding. My earlier post is definitely a second choice approach for those whose IT department's are especially recalcitrant or uninformed about supporting devices like the Droid. (As well as those of us who absolutely hate Exchange as a result of numerous problematic experiences with (probably) poor implementations of the server software.)

dylanthecat

Reaction score
The OP did say he is trying to sync with exchange, but his IT requires higher security which the native app won't do. Touchdown should be able to handle that requirement. The trial is now 30 days.

Oh, and it is a gear, not a cog. Maybe a sprocket but definitely not a cog. :)

OP
U

Ukk

Reaction score
Thanks a ton guys!!

I was able to connect to my Corp Exchange Server with Touchdown trial version. I am unable to see the Contacts and Send mails, other than that I am able to receive and reply emails thru my Droid.

Regards!