Unable to " Check for updates"

Chris.Inc2

Reaction score
Answer: official OTA isn't out yet!
My Question:Are you still on STOCK(5.5.886)Bloated?...if so just wait..and wait for the roll-ova.:)

I'm still on that version is that a bad thing? I will call vzw and complain, please help

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
jughead75

jughead75

Reaction score
Just curious, if you go into settins> battery & data manager > data delivery, what are you settings... mine attached

My settings are identical to yours. And since I bought an extended battery I use performance mode all the time.

toyosup88

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my bionic. I went under data delivery then social applications and unchecked wifi only and now it works fine

Chris.Inc2

Reaction score
thank you

I had the same problem on my bionic. I went under data delivery then social applications and unchecked wifi only and now it works fine

thanks it works great 4g still sucks but love my phone

OP
jughead75

jughead75

Reaction score

I just checked those settings. "Sync over wifi only" was unchecked. Still having the issue. Any other ideas?

OP
jughead75

jughead75

Reaction score
I was finally able to resolve this issue with a Factory reset. Not exactly what I wanted to do but it did correct the problem. Now I'll sit and not so patiently wait for the OTA.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

nnelzen

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem and have tried all the suggestions here with no luck. I'm definitely don't want to reset my phone. Does anyone have any other ideas? gonna try a battery pull and see if it helps.

Update: Battery pull don't help

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I wouldn't worry about it. I had the same issue, then it just stopped, and now it sits at the checking for updates screen. My X2 did this as well when it was near time for an OTA. I think it's something that'll be resolved with the update and I don't think it'll prevent it from coming through. So I'm just going to keep trying and waiting till it finally happens...

nnelzen

Reaction score
Bump.. This really sucks now. The update is here I'm still getting the same thing. Anyone else?

lykofos

Reaction score
I was finally able to resolve this issue with a Factory reset. Not exactly what I wanted to do but it did correct the problem. Now I'll sit and not so patiently wait for the OTA.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Same thing was happening to me. I actually did a factory reset this past weekend and that fixed it for me too. Factory reset had a two fold purpose b/c I also wanted to use only google contacts and skip the verizon back-up assistant option, made the mistake of enabling it when I first setup the phone. Took about 2hrs to reinstall all the apps / configure my home screens. Kind of a pain. I posted in the official moto forums too and no one had a resolution for the issue other than factory reset.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Here is my post from the other thread about this issue.
I was a soak tester for the update & here is what Motorola instructed me to do for the issue.

During the soak test for the update I was not getting the update that was being pushed to me or able to pull the update.
I tried all the other stuff like wifi, rebooting, battery pull, etc. that was being discussed in the private forum for the soak test, while waiting for a reply from Motorola forum manager. & nothing worked.

I kept getting the message: "check for update is not available at this time. Try again later" (I never got the message that my phone was up to date ever since I bought the phone & had it activated)
The techs working specifically with the soak testers looked into my phone account & came back & said that I was getting this message because it Looks like the phone might have registered with the Server without a SIM initially, need to factory reset to reconnect to server to get update.

A factory reset was the last thing I wanted to do but I had exhausted everything else being tried during the soak test & was instructed to do it by Motorola.

After doing the Factory reset the phone came back immediately with the message that the phone was up to date & than the next time I tried to pull the update when it was pushed out, my phone grabbed the update & asked me if I wanted to update.

Yes there are waves of the update going out & there is no rime or reason when each phone will get it, but if you are not even connected to the server than you will be waiting along time for it to show up.

In the past it seams like everybody was able to get the update after about a week or so. If you have not received it after a week or so you may want to do a factory reset.

That is if you can hold out that long !!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

It is your phone & your decision as to what is right for you based on what you read & learn. It is up to you to decide if resetting up your phone is worth it or wait & see.

If you do a factory reset & the phone says that you are up to date, than it is just not your turn in the cue yet to get the update pushed to your phone. But you are hooked up to the server now & getting the right message.

If anybody else that is having this problem does a factory reset & than pulls the update or there message changes to "your phone is up to date" please post back on your results. There are allot of people that are wondering at this point & would like to know.

jspencer67

Reaction score
I have the same issue and it has been there for a month or so.......I am rooted and have the leaked 5.6.893 update that was out there

there is simply no way I am going through the hassle of a factory reset unless it turns out that is the only way I will get ICS

way too much for what is probably the same exact thing

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I have the same issue and it has been there for a month or so.......I am rooted and have the leaked 5.6.893 update that was out there

there is simply no way I am going through the hassle of a factory reset unless it turns out that is the only way I will get ICS

way too much for what is probably the same exact thing

Doing a factory reset will not help you. You say you installed a leaked version of the update.
You will not get the update OTA & if you do it will fail to install.
You will have to flash back to stock. If the leaked update you installed uses a diffrent kernel or radio you are out of luck updating untill a work around is found.

Blackhawk13

Reaction score
I did the factory reset and got the updade immediately. Was getting the not available at this time message