Unable to active mobile network on unlocked note2

Nandu

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note2 SGH I317
Dear all,

I'm new to this forum as well as troubleshooting android, so kindly bear with me if anyone finds my questions as primitive.

One of my friends purchased Samsung note2 i317m unlocked in US and brought to India. Since unlocked mobiles work globally, I tried to configure the phone on local service providers in India but without much success. I spoke to my friend in US but he confirmed that the phone is unlocked and worked fine in US(he tested the phone with T-mobile sim and was working fine)

Upon general investigation, I found the below observations.

1) IMEI on Phone back panel and IMEI shown in the device(*#06#) are different. IMEI shown on the device contains an extra "/ 02". Websites like IMEIinfo and BadESN etc confirm both IMEIs are valid and the phone is neither blacklisted nor stolen. I also read that extra 02 in IMEI pertains to the software version and is not a bug really.

2) The phone displays a "no network available" icon (\O, with \ bisecting O) before and after inserting the SIM. However, I was successfully able to connect to WIFI(to a wifi router) and bluetooth(paired with other device) and pretty much other features of the phone too.

Can the experts kindly point to the exact problem with the device and any possible way outs?

Its great to be part of this group and looking forward to your kind responses. Please let me know in case any further info is required.

Regards
Only4u

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum Nandu! Hang in there and hopefully one of our more experienced members can give you a hand with this.
Good luck!

OP
N

Nandu

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note2 SGH I317
hey cr6, Thanks for your warm welcome mate :)
I will wait till a kind soul responds!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
First obvious step for me would be to try a new sim. Is your carrier 4g compatible or only 3g? A 3g network would require activating by calling a number (it's *228 here in the states) or doing so online.

Did you check which band your carrier uses and if the note supports that network?

Sent from my XT1060

OP
N

Nandu

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note2 SGH I317
hi GoCliffGo05,

Thanks for your reply. I tried with couple of 3g data enabled sims(4g is not still available in India) which are working on my xperia phone but without much luck on GN2. I also crosschecked the bands, and if not 4g/LTE, GSM bands of i317(850/900/1800/1900 MHZ) are definitely serviceable in India.

Im not sure if this is a valid question but could there be an issue with the antenna not able to read the network?

OP
N

Nandu

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note2 SGH I317
I would also like to add that APNs of the network provider are visible in APN settings but when I try to configure mobile networks either automatically or manually, Im getting this message - " Your SIM doesnt allow connection to this network''