(Un-modded DX) Need help with Themes and someone to explain

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by bwainner, Feb 24, 2011.

1. bwainner

bwainner New Member

So i get that there's rooting and blah blah blah spending a lot of time with my droid that i don't plan on doing. I just want to know how to simply download a theme from the marketplace and install it. why is there so many different apps (Pandahome, go launcher, facethingy) whats the difference? will they matter when i download them? I just got my DX so i would appreciate if someone would just fully answer and tell me the difference between all these programs and such. thx
  2. fox_dye

fox_dye New Member

They are all home replacement apps. They take the place of your stock launcher. There is no way to theme your stock launcher without rooting your phone. But you can use a home replacement app like adw which has a load of themes. After you install adw hit the home button. It will give you the option of which app you want to use. Check the use by default box then hit adw. You are now in your new home app. Hit the menu button and you will see things look a little different now. Have fun and enjoy your new launcher. To switch back go into settings/manage applications/adw and hit clear defaults. Now when you hit the home button it will give you the choice of home apps again.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Fox_dye is correct about replacement home launchers. There are several out there that have themes, and getting the launcher itself - like ADW and LauncherPro, or LiveHome (to name but three of them) - is free. Many ADW themes are free also, and some of the cooler ones are sold for a nominal charge (like 99 cents), but you need to understand that this process is not the same thing as actually theming a rooted phone. It accomplishes many of the more prominent aspects of a true theme, but doesn't really change the framework of the rom, like a theme does.

Still, if you're not rooted, it's a quick and easy way to effect some pretty cool changes to your phone. Check out the three I listed above, download them and a couple of themes for each and see which features appeal to you most. The one you decide to keep, make that your default launcher. I'd then get rid of the launcher you don't want along with it's themes, as they take up space, and if you change your mind later, you can always download them again.

Update: Just noticed that you have a Droid X - but it shouldn't matter for the type of launchers I mentioned above. Those work, I believe, on any Droid phone.

Good luck! :)

-Mike
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011