Un locking Motorola for GSM use

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by grolson, Dec 2, 2014.

1. grolson

grolson Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All, we have 2 phones, Moto Razer Maxx and Moto Ultra maxx, Both are 4G and if I'm correct they can be unlocked for use on GSM or ATT, I'm thinking of switching carriers and this would avoid getting new phones.
    How would I accomplish this??

2. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    I think it should be possible. If you own the phones, you should be able to get Verizon to SIM unlock it for you (if it is required).

Correct me if I am wrong, but these are the two phones you are referring to:

Motorola RAZR MAXX
    Motorola DROID Ultra

Side-by-side comparison of the phones

Both phones support GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900. AT&T uses 850/1900 for 2G and 3G
    Both phones support HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100. AT&T uses 850/1900 for HSPA+
    It looks like the DROID RAZR MAXX only supports band 13 which is owned by Verizon in 700Mhz.
    It looks like the DROID Ultra supports band 13. It also states 1700/2100. I am assuming that is AWS (or band 4).

Work just got really busy, but I will look in to it more later.

#2 grenefroggie, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. grolson

grolson Member

Ratings:
    +3

Hey, Thanks. Yes, those are the phones in question. Will I have to tell Verizon I'm traveling to Europe or can I just request them to do it. They have to know It is because I might switch carriers...
    Also, My Razzr Maxx did not receive an update to Lollipop, anyone know if its possible to do it manually??
    It seems to be really slow lately.