Ulv/lv/mv...wth?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by quadjacks, Jun 29, 2010.

1. quadjacks

quadjacks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What are the differences in the kernels as for ULV/LV/MV... The chevyno1's in particular.... Thanks in advance!

2. yusky03

yusky03 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    ULV = Ultra Low Voltage
    LV = Low Voltage
    MV = Medium Voltage
    SV = Stock Voltage

Here is some more information about Undervolting a PC if you want it.
    The "Undervolting" Guide
    Edit: Im bored so I will add a bit more to this. Basically the reason they change the voltage that the CPU is getting is because the manufatuer sets a stable voltage for all there CPUs because not a single CPU is actually exactly the same as another. That is why you see some people that can't run a ULV 1.25Ghz kernel and some can. Lowering the voltage will also keep the CPU cooler at stock temperatures and also keep it cool enough to run your 550mhz CPU at 1.3Ghz. In addition to that it will obviously give you longer battery life but CPU cycles will also give you less battery life so it is kind of a balancing act.

#2 yusky03, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. quadjacks

quadjacks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very well versed, will actually use as my sig for clarity of others!!

4. Jer

Jer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you give a brief explanation of how one goes about testing these out? Where's a good starting place? I was able to run the bekit 7 spot 1.2 lv kernel but perhaps starting out with the ulv 1.25 Chevy1 isn't the best place to start?

5. yusky03

yusky03 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    You can't brick/break your phone by testing a kernel. Just make sure you do a nandroid backup (same thing as when it asks you to backup in Rom Manager) before you start testing these kernels until you get a stable one. If you really want the 1.25Ghz then start with the ULV kernel and work your way up in voltage till it is stable. If you get up to MV and it is still not stable then go to a 1.2Ghz ULV kernal and so forth. Like I said it is a balancing act with battery life the lover voltage will give you more battery life but a higher clock speed with also give you a shorter battery life.

6. kesnik

kesnik New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, the core question is about Overclocking .......

I was running a stock DROID and happy for the most part. After seeing my friends phone w/1 Ghz processor I was kinda mad at my stock DROID.

I'm trying to understand the difference between a kernel and a ROM. My best guess is the kernel is the foundation to the OS (ROM?).

My phone is rooted and i have created a nandroid backup of 2.1 unrooted and rooted. Can i simply just install a new kernel to get a overclock?

Will my nandroid backup of unrooted 2.1 restore me to where i can receive the OTA 2.2?

I would like to avoid installing a ROM if i can. As I understand it, when installing a new ROM there are a bunch of fixes you have to do to get the market, Google maps and other apps to work correctly. I want to get more performance with the least hassle?

Possible? What are my options?

Thanks

-Kesnik

7. kesnik

kesnik New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, i took a shot in the dark and I think I figured it all out.

I am running 2.1 rooted with 1200Mhz kernel using Setcpu. so far it seems to be performing pretty well.

If i wanted to go back to an non-rooted 2.1 can i just restore my nandroid backup? When 2.2 comes out OTA I would like to have that option.

Thanks,

-Kesnik

8. natty_lite

natty_lite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a question...if you're running a kernel beneath the maximum clock speed, will you reap the benefits of improved battery life?

For example, if I have a 1.2GHZ kernel clocked via setcpu to only run at 600, will the battery perform as if 600 was the max, or will I suffer a loss since the kernel is slotted to go higher? I know, I could just install a stock kernel, and and call it a day. but I like to have quick access to higher speeds without having to go through the trouble of flashing when I want to switch up.

9. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It would be just like running a kernel with a 600Mhz max. You lose all the slots in between the min and 600 that you would have with a lower top clock speed kernel, but that really isn't that big of a deal.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. powrful1

powrful1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well my Droid would take Max 1.2 Med or 1.0 lv no ulv for me :-(

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. renlan

renlan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use Chevy 800 kernels, so the ULV Kernel when set cpu is at minimum 125 causes me problems with some things locking up and starting, when set minimum to 250 I'm good. If I use LV Kernal 125 minimum runs no problem.

So Im wondering am I better battery life running ULV at 250 minimum, or LV at 125, or maybe running 125 is just too low for non sleep mode to begin with. Any suggestions/advise or perhaps a link on how to properly set up setCPU?

Im Running Jrummy 4.0.7

12. Lars

Lars Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Just a suggestion when choosing a kernal, put a few of them on your SD card before you start testing which ones work. If a kernal throws you into boot loop, rather than taking the time to restore, you only have to install a different kernal.

I put all of Chevy's ULV/LV/MV Kernals into a folder on my SD card, and started with ULV 1250. Unfortunately for me, I started with ULV1250 and ended up having to use MV1000. Anything higher would either boot loop, or it would load up and freeze within a minute or two.

I took this idea from another thread here, but since I saw some new folks asking about kernals, I wanted to pass the info along.

Search tags for this page

]lv]ulv