Ultimate Gameboid Guide - "Play Pokemon on Droid!"

kwestionmyrk

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here so I thought I should make it something helpful. I apologize if this has already been done before as I'm sure it has but here is my solution to playing "Pokemon" or any other GBA game on your droid!

Disclaimer: I am not the developer or have any relations to either the makers of GameBoid and any of the games within the "GameBoid Roms" Pack. I am merely helping the general public with a quick tutorial and all credit goes to them.

Attention!
For this guide I have uploaded a simple starter pack that corresponds to my tutorial. I have tried to make everything as simplistic and as easy as possible to help even the most inexperienced Droid users to get things running.
(If you do not wish to use my starter pack, you can find the files you need online by simply searching for their direct file name on Google.)

1. You need the "GameBoid" GBA Emulator application in order to play GBA games on your droid, you can do so by either searching for GameBoid on the marketplace or simply scan this barcode with your phone.

Gameboid.png

(This is the Paid Version, for Lite search on Market)

2. If you have not yet downloaded the starter pack do so now and unzip/extract the .zip to your computer (if you don't wish to simply search "gba_bios.bin" in google)

3. Connect your Droid (or other android phone) into your computer via USB and mount your Droid. (to mount your droid simply connect your phone and computer via usb and select the Turn on USB Storage via the drop-down notification bar)

4. *Make a Folder within your droid and name it "GBoidRoms" (this step is optional and is mainly for organization and neatness, you may skip this step if you desire)

5. Copy/Extract the files enclosed within the "GameBoid Roms" that you have downloaded from me into the folder on your phone ("GBoidRoms").

6. Turn off USB Storage

7. Open up the "GameBoid" application on your phone.

8. Upon opening, it will tell you that you need to locate the Bios File:

• Click Menu
  • Select Settings
  • Select "GBA Bios File" and locate the file called "gba_bios.bin" (this will be within the "GBoidRoms" folder if you followed step 4)
9. After activating the BIOS file you are free to play any GBA game you desire! To do so simply select the game file you wish to play!

How do I find more games?
Emulated games are called ROM files, and to find them you can use your friendly search engine google to do your dirty work! Simply type in the name of the game followed by ROM.

After you installed them onto your computer, drag the ".gba" file into your GBoidRoms folder on your droid and you can access them on the application from there!

Are ROMs / Emulated Games Legal?
To find a full explanation of the legality of ROMs you can visit this page.

I hope this was helpful and if you have any questions feel free to ask them on here and I will get back to you when I can =)

Last edited:

wickedkae

Reaction score
only problem with pokemon is, is that there is no game clock in the emu, so your trees and stuff disappear. i stopped playing.

OP
K

kwestionmyrk

Reaction score
Yeah, the paid version works just fine though. And for 4 bucks its not half bad :)

cdailey

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to look into some emulators for my Droid and this looks like a nice way to start. :)

OP
K

kwestionmyrk

Reaction score
I'm glad I could get you started :)

And I do highly reccomend spending the 4 bucks for the paid version, it truely makes a difference in the ability to save and it supports the programmer for all the hard work he put into this.

lordegregious

Reaction score
Good thread. I really want to get into some emulation on my droid but I always get 10 minutes into a game and quit. Anyone have some good ideas for games that would play easy on the droid? I'm considering Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Advance Wars. I'd really like to play Golden Sun again but its pretty borked.

OP
K

kwestionmyrk

Reaction score
Really? I'm playing pokemon on the paid version now and doing quite fine. I use the emu's saves rather then the game save.

Now for Golden Sun are you using the onscreen keyboard or the droid's pull out keyboard? I have it mapped out so w=b key, e=a key, s= left bumper, d= right bumper and then I use d pad for movement. The physical keyboard works just fine (for me atleast) when playing games.

Last edited:

wickedkae

Reaction score
Really? I'm playing pokemon on the paid version now and doing quite fine. I use the emu's saves rather then the game save.

Now for Golden Sun are you using the onscreen keyboard or the droid's pull out keyboard? I have it mapped out so w=b key, e=a key, s= left bumper, d= right bumper and then I use d pad for movement. The physical keyboard works just fine (for me atleast) when playing games.

Its just the trees i plant will disappear after a few seconds of being planted, or will half grow then disappear. I use both save file type and neither seems to make a difference. Do your trees remain after your plant?

shayminn

Reaction score
hi, i have a problem. i loaded a BIOS succesfully but when i loaded a GBA file(pokemon emerald, ruby) the screen is black and then it will shut down:( ,where´s a problem please?i have Samsung galaxy SII

Last edited:

dml4690

Reaction score
Dude i can't figure it out i just want to play some pokemon and at least do something else on this phone i don't know how to use it all i do is calls setting schedules and text. I never used the other features

EirmaMY

Reaction score
xtfumeng said:
i cant find gameboid in the market.. help please ?

Search My Boy! GBA Emulator at Android Market(this Emu same with GameBoid). But if u wan GameBoid u download this Market "Blackmart Alpha" (Search at Google) then u can search GameBoid there.

+-------------------------------------------+
(Search Before Posting QQ)

Facebook - [email protected]

Sincerely,
Eirma SyaQieLa <3