1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ultimate Droid 9.0.0. MAKE the switch trust me!!!

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by DroidHoff, Apr 1, 2010.

1. DroidHoff

DroidHoff New Member

This is my review of Ultimate Droid 9.0.0 and ClockworkMod Recovery. I know I know there are many threads about BlackDroids latest monster but I feel obliged to voice my support for BlackDroid (and Koush w/Rom Manager & ClockworkMod Recovery).
    I've been running UltimateDroid's Roms for a while now and have always, since I rooted, used SPRecovery to install/backup everything. BlackDroids releases always got incrementally better every update included something new or fixed something from a previous release and the roms generally got faster. I have often switched to different roms for comparison sake but always ended up back with BlackDroid. Before putting 9.0 on yesterday I was running 8.6 and I loved it! It was fast, stable, and had several different ways to customize it! Having always used the nandroid or update.zip to install since I used SPRecovery I was very timid about switching to Clockwork. I had read up on it and there seemed to be issues getting back to SPRecovery and it sounded like it had bricking potential, especially to a relative noob (droid is my first Android) like myself. So I installed it using SPRecovery with the update.zip he put up. I followed the posted instructions and loaded it up salivating at what it would hold but........ It was never meant to be 9.0 install using SPRecovery just wouldn't work right for me. I never got any options to install and the update was unstable at best. It would reboot, was jittery, and jumpy and the only launcher was the Helix2 which I don't like.
    Making the jump. I knew this couldn't be right BlackDroid has always released great updates something had to be going wrong. I figured if BD and Cyan used CW than it couldn't be that bad right???? So I installed Rom Manager Premium. All I can say is WOW! This was easy! I can revert to stock ala DroidMod Updater, I can manage all my back ups from within the app, and I can flash back to SPRecovery if I need to! I downloaded UD9.0.0, went through all of my options during the install and it backed up my 8.6 and was installed in minutes! Now I had heard 9.0.0 was faster but I had come to expect everyone to say this after every rom update and think at times it purely psychological but hey if you believe it its as good as true. But this was ridiculous! BlackDroid this thing smokes! If you unrooted for the official 2.1 and have now missed this please kick yourself in the shorts now! My wifes phone has the official 2.1 and mine UD9.0.0 and it puts hers to shame! Seriously make the jump by ROM manager and support Koush for his hard work. And for god sakes download UD9.0.0 and donate to BlackDroid!!! These are some of the hardest working developers we have in our community and they deserve the props! Thanks BD and Koush hit me up if your in the Chicagoland area and I would love to buy you a drink sometime!

Thanks again,
    DroidHoff
  2. grinchy

grinchy New Member

9.0 is very nice have to agree :)
  3. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

Ok.. My turn...

My name is harsh.. and I am a Droidaholic...

*Gods that was hard to do in front of all you people
  4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I agree totally with your assessment of UD9.0, but not Clockwork. There are too many stories on these and other boards about people loosing SU permissions totally and a very, very common theme seems to be the use of Clockwork (not every time, but very often). I still think Clockwork is not as stable and sure as SpRecovery.

I bought the full version of Rom Manager and use it to load roms occasionally, but I immediately reinstall SpRecovery. YMMV!!
  5. tsitalon1

tsitalon1 New Member

Agree, I LOVE UD9.0!!!!

I don't understand how it works so well with ESE27, as I assume is a very outdated release.

None the less, I LOVE this release!
  6. DroidHoff

DroidHoff New Member

:rofl3: That's hilarious!
  7. grinchy

grinchy New Member

No....your "AVATAR" is hilarious! :icon_ banana:

hahahahaha
  8. DroidHoff

DroidHoff New Member

Time will tell I guess. Koush seems to push an update daily so I'm thinking that most of the early days problems have been worked out! SPRecovery is very dependable though!
  9. DroidHoff

DroidHoff New Member

Yeah he's my hero! haha
  10. wil20mva

wil20mva New Member

I second Harsh!!!

I am a Droid-a-holic!!! My assessment... not that it matters... but here it is:
    UD9 is great, stable, and the options in the Rom manager during install was by far the most astonishing ever. REALLY!!! i used Nandroid for the longest time, and i still do, but the rom manager doesnt let you use it to its full ability without Clockwork. Luckily enough it lets you switch between both. <<< It just takes a little longer to swap between each, but o well, its a small price to pay for the warm and fuzzy it gives me to know that i have a back up for each recovery option. << overkill-i know. So, the options for the latest UD are awesome, right from the kernal type to themes, to even fonts on the screen. Sheer brilliance. It lets you choose everything... just like Burger king... have it your way.

I've made the switch to another ROM because of a few other observations. My buddy is on UD and he has 147Mb free. I have 237Mb with everything installed. And i'm more of a gadget freak than he ever will be. And I love scripts. Changing the boot animations is simpler as well as removing stock apps. UD lets you choose what apps to install from the Rom Manager.

so thats it... :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
  11. dbarrett480

dbarrett480 New Member

anyone that has ran Cyanogen 5.0.5.4 and Ultimate Droid 9.0 care to give his or her opinion?
  12. wil20mva

wil20mva New Member

I've actually swapped between both in the past two days... CM lets you run scripts, is easier on phone memory, is very customizable once you've installed the basics. UD is awesome by the way it lets you configure it through ROM manager. Both are stable, but I'm sticking with CyanogenMod for now.
  13. machineheadg2r

machineheadg2r New Member

I think most of the issues with clockwork were earlier versions. Haven't had a single issue with the latest one. ROM manager just makes everything so easy though
  14. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

ERE27 is the latest release for teh nexus one.... it's not outdated by any means... a higher number does not mean newer all the time.....

I had nothing but trouble with rom manager.... I went back to sprecovery.... but last night in order to do some updating I installed rom manager and so far so good. The biggest issue I had were failing backups... and I have yet to run one with the latest version... so time will tell.
  15. tsitalon1

tsitalon1 New Member

Thanks for the clarification!
  16. DroidHoff

DroidHoff New Member

I've run Cyanogens 5.0.5.4 and its great! Cyanogen is really truelly a great developer and his roms are built from the bottom up from code I believe. Any other day I would take a Cyanogen ROM over most but UD9.0.0 is that good! True I don't have as much free ram (different than CM by about 40mb) but I run a fair amount of apps and still have around 150mb. The transitions in UD9.0.0 are blazingly fast, like jimmy johns freaky fast! Android has always lagged a bit in this department, transitioning. How many times have you read about I know its fast and it is great but it just doesn't feel as snappy as an I word. I'm telling you with this build it is faster PERIOD! But try them both, download ROM Manager premium and give them both a rip and decide for yourself! Its a great problem to have! kind of like deciding how to spend your PowerBall jackpot!!!
  17. bloodstains

bloodstains New Member

I agree. UltimateDroid 9.0 is the first ROM i've ran that i've truly been wowed by. SO smooth, SO fast, SO stable. I use my Droid HARD, really push it to the limits, and I've not had a single force close. Even on the stock 2.0.1 I used to get force closes all the time. Not a single one over the past couple days.
  18. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

I wonder if the good UD and bad UD experiences are dependent on the kernel chosen during the install.

I might try out UD soon, sooo what kernels did you guys choose (good and bad experiences)?

My CyanogenMod experience was pretty bad. I put it when it was 5.0.5 and the whole system felt slower. Home screens (no matter whether launcher, home, or helix) were especially slow.
  19. bradford88

bradford88 New Member

for the record it is easy to roll back and your not doomed to the stock 2.1 update. I goofed and installed the forced 2.1 update.
    I did this
    Droid 2.0.1 sbf file released!
    and now I am on Ultimate Droid 9.0. No regrets. definitely worth the half hour it took to root for the first time...
  20. thorn11166

thorn11166 New Member

when i go to app drawer it is always blank for about 10 to 15 sec and home always does a reset and is slow to load. any ideas why?
Search tags for this page

droid ultimate review

droidz ultimate review