Ultimate Bluetooth Headset??

MJE

Reaction score
Looked over the forums, but don't find my "ultimate" headset....

I need multipoint because I carry 2 phones (work & personal) and need to answer whichever one is ringing, especially if I'm on the road.

Would also really like to get all sounds through the headset, specifically TV.com, radio, video, other media so if I take a break and want to listen to the radio or watch a video I can do so with the headset.

Finally, I'd want to use the headset while at the gym, so need something sweatproof, can use while lifting weights (ie bench press while on my back) and on the treadmill, etc.

Not too terribly concerned about music sound quality. Want it to be decent, but I'm not all that picky about it.

Saw one (model forgotten...) that would be both a mono & stereo headset with the left earpiece being detachable, but had many reviews of not staying in the ear. Something like that would be wonderful since I could use just the one earpiece most of the time, but when I want better sound I could use the second ear piece.

Any suggestions on a headset??

Thanks

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Of the headsets that I know about or have, the one that comes the closest in my mind is the Jabra BT8010. Unfortunately, it is no longer made. My wife and I both have them, including the detachable stereo extension earpiece. Even though it is no longer made, I am mentioning it in the hope that someone will know about ones that are similar. The Plantronics Voyager 855 is similar, but I don't know how well it stays in the ear. The BT8010 stays in the ear well. Here is the 855 at Amazon:

Amazon.com: Plantronics Voyager 855 Bluetooth Headset (Black): Cell Phones & Service

Perhaps there are others like these.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
They might not make the BT8010 any longer, but it's still very available from a variety of sources:

BT8010 - Google Product Search

I know, but I think that some or perhaps most of those are reconditioned ones. There are a lot of products on Amazon marketplace that buyers say are obviously reconditioned products. That is why I only buy things on Amazon that are from Amazon directly and then I avoid those that are marked "bulk" or "OEM". It is also the same at Newegg. The OEM headsets are often reconditioned ones.

OP
M

MJE

Reaction score
The Plantronics looks promising, but no multipoint....

jsprings

Reaction score

Plantronics Discovery 925. You'll love it. And, yes, multi-point. And a charging pouch as well.

Bit expensive, but excellent quality and value.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Plantronics Discovery 925. You'll love it. And, yes, multi-point. And a charging pouch as well.

Yes, it looks very good and it is currently on sale at verizonwireless.com for $49.97 and the ACC20 discount code might still be valid. However, it is not stereo and if it is like most mono headsets, it will not play music, which is one of the things that the OP wants.

givmedew

Reaction score

I think a major feature you may have missed out is that he needs it to play music. I am fairly certain that it does not play music. I have one.
That headset is now 69.99 at vzw I believe not sure though. The new version (975) is 129.99 I think adds advanced NC removes MultiPoint

I have an 8010 and 8040 the 8010 does multiple devices and has a detachable headset, sounds very good it is uncomfortable and easy to loose the ear hook. The 8040 is amazing comfort good sound

I have used the plantronics stereo detectable system it sucks boomy bass slides out of my ear.

I have owned/used over 40 models of headsets in the past 5 years (manufactures used to send trial pieces)

The 8040 is the best overall headset that I have ever owned.
I'd rate it as fallows
5/5 Size
5/5 Comfort
3.5/5 Battery life (last more than a day for talk less than half a day for music LOL)
3/5 Noise canceling (sound quality is amazing but nothing spectacular in the NC department)
5/5 Features
5/5 Volume (most in ear gel style headsets are very loud)

I believe it meets all of your requirements. As far as pricing... I would jump on the lowest price from a reputable source and I would NOT care if it is refurbished. If the 925, 975, or JawBone2 had mono a2dp, multipoint, and advanced NC I would say they take the cake but the 925 lack a2dp and advanced noise cancelling and the 975 lacks a2dp and multipoint LOL the JawBone2 lacks a2dp and isnt very loud the prime is louder with the ear gels but still not loud enough lol.

Jabra BT 8040 Bluetooth Mono/Stereo Headset - Jabra Bluetooth by Starlightmobile INC

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I believe it meets all of your requirements. As far as pricing... I would jump on the lowest price from a reputable source and I would NOT care if it is refurbished. If the 925, 975, or JawBone2 had mono a2dp, multipoint, and advanced NC I would say they take the cake but the 925 lack a2dp and advanced noise cancelling and the 975 lacks a2dp and multipoint LOL the JawBone2 lacks a2dp and isnt very loud the prime is louder with the ear gels but still not loud enough lol.

Jabra BT 8040 Bluetooth Mono/Stereo Headset - Jabra Bluetooth by Starlightmobile INC

Does anyone know if refurbished items like this have new LiION batteries installed? If they do then I can agree with this statement. If they come with the original battery then I wouldn't touch a refurbished headset. Many people tend to keep their headsets fully charged and at room temperature. This condition causes the battery to lose 20% of its capacity per year and the battery is only good for 300 to 500 recharges.

romanrish

Reaction score
By far best option

I have been using a set for every instance you have discussed, and by far the best option based on trial and error is the Motorola S9 HD bluetooth headsets. They have multipoint capability. Has controls for music and volume on headset. Easy to switch between music and calls. The most comfortable headset you will ever wear in you life. Stays in your ear because they seem like they are specifically designed for the active life style. The only even strictly headphones that I have ever owned with similar sound quality is the Bose headphones that aren't bluetooth. You can find pairs on Amazon almost anytime from between 35 and 99 dollars.

Not to mention one time I lost the rubber earbuds that go on the tips of the in ear speakers. It comes with like 3 or 4 sizes, but I had my one favorite size on there and my 3 year old ripped them off. I looked everywhere for replacements. Finally I decided to call motorola to try to order some, but they informed me that they would not sell me another set of earbuds. He would however send me out a free pair of replacements with no charge for the buds or shipping.

I owned the S9s and said I would never buy another bluetooth unless they came out with an upgrade. Then along came the S9 HD and I was like a giddy school girl and paid $129 to make sure I had them when they first arrived in stores.

onthemark

Reaction score
I have been using a set for every instance you have discussed, and by far the best option based on trial and error is the Motorola S9 HD bluetooth headsets. They have multipoint capability. Has controls for music and volume on headset. Easy to switch between music and calls. The most comfortable headset you will ever wear in you life.

What do you think of the call quality, not what YOU hear but what the person on the other end hears. For example, driving in a car or in a crowded area. Where is the microphone or are you using the phone mic?

romanrish

Reaction score
Call quality is fantastic. You just have to get used to the fact that when you switch from music to answer the call it goes back to standard sound, and you only hear the person in one ear. The only time I had a problem with this is when I was trying to carry on a conversation with someone so I had one earpiece off and would answer the call and say hello three times and realize I'm an idiot and had the wrong side off.

Oh yeah you do use the phone mic, but I think it receives as it would in speaker mode because if it is sitting in my passenger seat or within about 7 feet everyone hears me fine.

I can sit it on my kitchen counter and walk upstairs and basement and have stereo. Cept one dead spot on my stairs where there is like three walls between myself and my phone.

Last edited:

Legacy23

Reaction score
i love the Motorola S9....has the "best" sound quality of any bluetooth headphones i've ever heard

Last edited: