Uh oh nexus

droid_mike

Reaction score
Supposedly the Nexus shows fewer bars than other 4g phones with the same signal. I read somewhere that this is to conserve battery - so with lower bars you still have the same signal as other phones.

That seems to be the case for me. I'm currently getting better phone reception with the Nexus than my old Droid did, even though the signal shows it to be much weaker. (I live in the gap between two towers and signal is awful weak. I often have to go outside to hear anything), but I can have full conversations indoors now (knock on wood). I don't get 4g in this dead zone, but 3g seems to work as good as it did before, and no dropping to 1x (if the phone can even do that). I can't wait to drive to a 4g zone and see how the Nexus fares with that! ;)

Riley

Reaction score
I found out today that my local area just got the 4g up and not on all towers, and they are still optimizing it and all that over the next month or so. That totally explains why mines jumps on and off 4G to 3G and has really weird drop outs etc etc. When 4G is running well on a good tower I have been getting 15-25 Mbps dl speeds. dancedroid

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
Well just came back from the Verizon store. Turned out I had a crappy sim card. So the rep gave me a new one and now I am up and running. 4g seems to be holding up really good. Please let this work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
At home today I'm getting 17-18mbps down. Out and about in the city I got as much as 20-21. IMO, many sites don't transfer much faster than 3mbps, anyway, so as long as you hit in the 9-10 range consistently, you can stream hi-def video if you so choose. Any thing else is gravy and/or overkill (unless you hotspot multiple devices).

JWellington

Reaction score
At home today I'm getting 17-18mbps down. Out and about in the city I got as much as 20-21. IMO, many sites don't transfer much faster than 3mbps, anyway, so as long as you hit in the 9-10 range consistently, you can stream hi-def video if you so choose. Any thing else is gravy and/or overkill (unless you hotspot multiple devices).

+1

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really don't know why a sim card change would have anything to do with this issue, it only has the info needed to access the network, not to stay connected, etc. Unless they "go bad" but ...