Ughh.. Cyanogen Mod 6 RC3

jev

Reaction score
I had a ridiculous amount of screen redraws with both ADW and Launcher Pro on RC3.

That just shows how different phones/set-ups act differently to specific roms. I haven't had any problems with redraws for either launchers. So far I'm loving the customization of this rom. Especially being able to change the color of the whole status bar. And my battery life is the best it's ever been. I can't wait to see the finished product.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Like any good moderator, with the information provided I have a link to that exact post: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...es-droid-notification-sound-3.html#post672554

Hook, you are, as always, awesome. Your Moderator powers are incredible and I hope that if I ever get them I won't abuse them.

Much. ;)

That just shows how different phones/set-ups act differently to specific roms. I haven't had any problems with redraws for either launchers. So far I'm loving the customization of this rom. Especially being able to change the color of the whole status bar. And my battery life is the best it's ever been. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I'm looking forward to it, too. There are so many awesome things about this I don't know what else can be shoehorned in, let alone what else there could be to shoehorn in! Equalizer FTW!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Has anyone's phone slowed down with RC3?

yes, significantly. i had to switch ROMs. hopefully everything gets worked out on the final release.
If you have an issue, either tweet Cyanogen personally or leave some feedback on the forums over there. Or you could try reinstalling that nandroid you made prior to installing the update and then reinstalling the ROM, or you could try a new kernel, wipe system/cache and reinstall, etc.

I didn't have a problem and I just installed over the old ROM -- in fact I've had far, far fewer issues with RC-3 than I did with 2. On the other hand, I've had GREAT results with Chevy's new ULV 1.1GHz kernel.

dliontis28

Reaction score
Has anyone's phone slowed down with RC3?

yes, significantly. i had to switch ROMs. hopefully everything gets worked out on the final release.
If you have an issue, either tweet Cyanogen personally or leave some feedback on the forums over there. Or you could try reinstalling that nandroid you made prior to installing the update and then reinstalling the ROM, or you could try a new kernel, wipe system/cache and reinstall, etc.

I didn't have a problem and I just installed over the old ROM -- in fact I've had far, far fewer issues with RC-3 than I did with 2. On the other hand, I've had GREAT results with Chevy's new ULV 1.1GHz kernel.
I changed to 1.1 and its like a new world. Fast fast fast

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you can run them, his kernels are awesome. His latest ULV runs so smoothly on my phone it's a joy to use, and with the new kernel and RC-3 my phone doesn't heat up like it did. :) Glad it's working for you!

sentientchimp

Reaction score
I tried a 1000mhz standard voltage p3 kernel with cm6 rc3 on my Droid and it ran very hot, frequently reaching temperatures >40 degrees Celsius. That being said, it did run very smoothly.

Following this I tried a ChevyNo1 ulv 1200mhz kernel. It runs substantially cooler (27-38 is what I've seen so far) and performs really wonderfully.

I experienced a good deal of screen redraw when exiting certain programs and when waking up the screen. I'm not sure if this is kernel related or not. MinFreeManager helped.

I really wish I had tried a lower voltage p3 kernel so that I could draw a better comparison between the two big kernels people talk about. Anyway, I just thought I'd report what I've experienced with my unit.

droidfan01

Reaction score
Anyone have problems with the Market and Gmail not loading on RC3? I went back to RC2 because of the problem.

thanks...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I tried a 1000mhz standard voltage p3 kernel with cm6 rc3 on my Droid and it ran very hot, frequently reaching temperatures >40 degrees Celsius. That being said, it did run very smoothly.

Following this I tried a ChevyNo1 ulv 1200mhz kernel. It runs substantially cooler (27-38 is what I've seen so far) and performs really wonderfully.

I experienced a good deal of screen redraw when exiting certain programs and when waking up the screen. I'm not sure if this is kernel related or not. MinFreeManager helped.

I really wish I had tried a lower voltage p3 kernel so that I could draw a better comparison between the two big kernels people talk about. Anyway, I just thought I'd report what I've experienced with my unit.
40 degrees C isn't that hot.

Don't use a memory manager/task killer app on any 2.2-based ROM, stock or otherwise, it'll interfere with the proper running of your Droid, as evidenced in lag in some apps and so on. That's straight from Google, by the way.

Screen redraws are common under FroYo. RC-3 has the option to try to keep the home screen in memory at all times, but I didn't try it. When the full release rolls out things should improve.