UGGHHH...really, 2nd GNEX and now more issues

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
So after dealing with a bad one, I returned it (yes it was rooted then unrooted...unlocked then locked). Got my second one and all was good, rooted...installed all my must have apps and life was good till last weekend (I guess the phone is 2 months old).

Kept losing signal 4g and 3g, while my wife's phone (RAZR) kept a steady 3g. The icing on the cake was yesterday at work, I use the WiFi to get a signal....says it's connected, but grayed out.

Tech support says to factory reset...pull batt...yada yada yada. So grudgingly I do. I get WiFi back. Same BS this morning, no WiFi connection, says signal is excellent and connected...grayed out and no WiFi. I decided to factory reset again. Nothing, still no signal. So I just had to unroot and lock my phone, because I think it's going to have to go in to VZW for service.

As much as I like this phone, the constant struggle to limp this thing is getting old. Seriously, Volume+ just to hear the damn thing ring, Lightflow to make the LED notifications work and so on and so forth.

I highly doubt that I would want another GNEX at this point. Sorry for the rant, but are other users having similar issues? Is it hardware (sounds like it)? The only thing I regret is not doing 4.04 before unrooting...but I have heard that signal issue was still the same.

Cheers...

pool_shark

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to not experience the signal issue.
For me the speaker volume is fine too. I have actually turned it down because it rang too loudly.

I use go sms and it lights the led when a new sms/mms is received.
Gmail lights the led for emails.
I don't need the led for missed calls, I don't think the droid 2 or droid x did that either.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sorry to hear the Nexus isn't working out for you again. I'm definitely one of the lucky ones to not have any problems I guess.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's odd that people have the same issue over and over. I've dropped signal a few times(3-4) but nothing like this and I never had to install volume+ my volume was very loud from the beginning.

I still think the signal problem has something to do with the tower locations/software and the signal verification they use. That would explain why some people have the problem with multiple replacement phones, but other people don't have the problem at all.

I do know that 4.0.4 has changes in the way 3G+4G hand-offs work, which includes verification software. If you like the Gnex at all I'd at least wait until we get 4.0.4(or .5) to see if it does resolve your issue.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is my 2nd one,and Ive not had the issues Ive had with the first.Ive had it now for over a wk,one reboot,and I think one dropped call.Ill take these numbers any day of the wk.And like Liderc said,try and hold out until 4.0.5 comes out and see if that update fixes those issues.

landofthedroid

Reaction score
I love this phone but if 4.0.5 doesn't address these issues, unfortunately I'm going to go with a different phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
R850R

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
I'm not holding my breath for any 4.0.?, VZW is really screwing this one.

Regardless, it looks like my only recourse after numerous CS, Tech calls and store visits, they are willing to acknowledge that there might be a problem...bang head off of my desk. Samsung wants the phone sent back to them, but is not willing to give me a replacement. VZW wants no part of that and will not issue me a loaner or a new phone. So basically, I'm out a phone and my monthly bill for however long it takes.

VZW's stance is that they are just a carrier and not the manufacturer. They are only willing to issue me a "refurb"...I guess I have to take a refurb at this point. I'm hoping that it does not turn into 3 strikes. I will say that the new device is going through the ringer.

VZW actually has the nerve to tell me that they want me to download an app called Bug Reporter so that I can send them my phone issue and logs, to address the issue. Nice, but no thanks...you'll get this device back soon enough and you can monkey with it.

Sorry GNEX...but you're making me feel like I picked the wrong horse.

tacticalfats

Reaction score
This will undoubtedly be the last Samsung/nexus device for me. What a buggy turd. Fortunately, the battery life sucks so hard it only has 4-6 hrs to enrage me.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath for any 4.0.?, VZW is really screwing this one.

Regardless, it looks like my only recourse after numerous CS, Tech calls and store visits, they are willing to acknowledge that there might be a problem...bang head off of my desk. Samsung wants the phone sent back to them, but is not willing to give me a replacement. VZW wants no part of that and will not issue me a loaner or a new phone. So basically, I'm out a phone and my monthly bill for however long it takes.

VZW's stance is that they are just a carrier and not the manufacturer. They are only willing to issue me a "refurb"...I guess I have to take a refurb at this point. I'm hoping that it does not turn into 3 strikes. I will say that the new device is going through the ringer.

VZW actually has the nerve to tell me that they want me to download an app called Bug Reporter so that I can send them my phone issue and logs, to address the issue. Nice, but no thanks...you'll get this device back soon enough and you can monkey with it.

Sorry GNEX...but you're making me feel like I picked the wrong horse.
I hope your 3rd phone is as good as my 2nd.

OP
R850R

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
we'll see, hopefully it's 3rd time is a charm and not strikes...

hey crankingtopwater69...4.0.5 in your avatar? rooted? where'd you get the code?

52brandon

Reaction score
never had that happen with my galaxy nexus, I put 4.0.4 on it immediately after getting it though. But my old TB used to do it. I assumed they were upgrading towers so it went down for that. But if your wife's RAZR is fine, I dunno what to make of that. Try 4.0.4, it is a new radio, so it should have some improvements