UD, Bgill and Redman....

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by RafficaX, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RafficaX

RafficaX Premium Member Premium Member Developer

As everyone knows, alot of people are trying to get UD back here on DF for everyone to enjoy. But some people are not following simple "rules" of the community, as in credit the original developer of items if you use them and ask to use them first, asking first is mostly a theme guide line.

i received a phone call telling me all this earlier today and wanted to put a response to it all up on DF, so its not a he / she battle all over again.

As many know, Redman ported themes from bgill without asking first, then bgill responded with a theme that bootlooped your phone once installed. From what i have been told Bgill removed the item after a few minutes knowing he was wrong, and i have been told he apologized for what he did. As far as Bgill goes i asked during my phone call that he not be banned on DF for what he did. He knew he was wrong but, was plain out mad with Redmans actions.

Once before a theme from Bgill was ported to UD that upset him bc of not asking first and crediting it correctly. The issues was resolved by talking to Bgill and being okayed to port themes as long as credited correctly, but it was not okayed for Redman to do so. Previous talks involved Srtfool and Bgill about it when it happened before.

As far as Redman goes, he has been banned on UD and i believe DF as well. Post were made on UD stating that you needed to ask first to port themes and credit them correctly. Many will say me or BD should have caught it, but we dont ask everyone who ports a theme or posts it that they asked the dev and it was okayed, we assumed they would do that on there own. i can not say how long the ban will last for, but so apologizes from Redman will be needed to alot of people before anything for unbanning is even discussed.

As far as this happen again, we will be now asking if the theme was okayed to be ported before they release it and as far as Bgill's themes go i am gonna see if he would like to port them himself to avoid any further headaches, everyone at some point has used a theme from him bc they are plain out awesome.

I would like to apologize to Bgill for this happening again with his themes. But more so the users of UD that were affected by the bootlooping theme in the IRC. Me and BD will be making more of a push to avoid these issues and make it that themes are not ported with out the okay of the dev.

This is not a resolution or anything, just what point it is at now.

Please do not move thread, this was discussed with an admin of DF on the phone as to being posted here.
  2. kook

kook Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Too much drama...that's why I just port them all myself. All people need to do is ask. I know my themes inside and out and that's the best way to get the best of it. Someone who has intimate workings with that theme.

I hope all smooths over and we can all just get along.
  3. eclsnowman

eclsnowman New Member

This is just a side note, but I hope that DEV's will be more open to allowing their themes ported, or porting them themselves to other platforms.

I know that many out there, for thier own reasons, do not like UD. This effects the users of UD because no one wants their themes ported to UD. I know that I have asked several people through PM premission to port themes over for my own use (no even sharing) and never been responded to.

We all want the same thing; phones customized the way we see best. Some people are technical enough to port/create the themes themselves for personal use, some on the other hand are not. These are the people that RedmanX was trying to help. He helped me learn theming and was truly patient with me during the process.

I am not trying to stir the pot, only interject a little in-site in what this community can fee like when the rom they like puts them in second class citizen status.

my 2cents.
  4. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

So in the end, bgill55 screws up peoples phones because he's upset and get's nothing? If I intentionally hacked someones computer and forced them to lose all data and got caught guess what, I'm not worried about a ban, I'm worried about jail time and monetary damages from being sued.

I will say this... all my trust in anything bgill55 does is gone and him getting off the hook makes me lose a lot of respect for DF. I will never use another thing bgill55 makes because I am not going to take the chance your out to do harm cause your feelings got hurt.

Too bad man.. I think you (bgill55) just tossed all your credibility out the window by losing your cool and not going about things in the right manner.

4:41pm. If his status changes, so might my attitude but right now, I'm upset and I am voicing that frustration.
  5. T-Dev

T-Dev New Member

Mine was one of the phones that BGill nuked...sent him a note asking WTF and basically got a "To bad so sad" message from him. not much of an apologyu if you ask me.
  6. Zalyia38

Zalyia38 New Member

Serious? bgill55 doesn't get banned for what he did to innocent people? Then you apologize to him. You actually think people will trust his themes?

The fact that he enjoyed doing it....straight from his twitter:
    "@nwgal34 Well let see the only ones effected were UD users! so im good I will sleep well!!! by the way who are you?"
    "@nwgal34 I lost respect from UD users I can live with that!"
    "sorry UD users Thank BD and RedMan!!! :)"
    "Nuked a few UD phones tonight What did you do??"

You support this? I am really shocked.

Shame on all of you, especially bgill55.
  7. DarthMurdicide

DarthMurdicide New Member

+1 kookahdoo, that solves this, doesn't it? Themers do HELLA great work, and unfortunately, some of them make their themes exclusive to particular ROMs. So when someone running another ROM wants to use that awesome work, they request the original themer to port it, and they're ignored or denied, usually because of the really, really old UD/Cyanogen war. So, they request others to port it. And others oblige, simple supply/demand really. Don't the single-platform themers out there realize that they would receive more donation revenues if they ported to other ROMs when requested, and also keep the integrity of their themes by porting themselves? :blink:
  8. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

bgill is awesome
  9. Icculus760

Icculus760 Member

Can you explain how he screwed up people's phones?

OP indicated it just sent you into a bootloop. I don't know about any of you guys, but I ALWAYS do a nandroid b/u before installing a rom/kernel/theme/whatever.

Couldn't you just do a restore? Was the bootloop just one of other effects (like wiping backups or something?)

I'm not taking sides here - really just want to know how it could've screwed up your phone if it only caused a bootloop like the OP indicates.
  10. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

He may be an awesome dev but that doesn't excuse what he did. The childish BS has gone on long enough, all around.
  11. hemirunner426

hemirunner426 New Member

I believe that both persons should receive some sort of punishment for what has happened. It is not fair to the community itself when things like these happen. I don’t believe what bgill55 did was any more right than what Redman did. We are all (or at least should be) adults and should carry out matters like this as such. Intentionally bricking people’s phones because you are mad is childish and allowing this into our community says something of the community itself. Redmad's actions should follow the same suite. You ask permission. It’s not hard. I don’t see any flawed logic in it. Allowing people to port without permission is not productive in this community, and again, allowing something like that says something of the community itself.

This is my first post although I’ve been a lurker for a long time. I find it sad how people go off the wall about UD and whatever may have happened. The fact of the matter is, none of us have the complete story. His ROM, just as anyone else’s, is based off Google's code. It technically belongs to no one and anyone. There are a lot of amazing programmers on this board. I think we should let them sort it out themselves. They put the time into it to produce something they think is good. The more of this BS that goes around, the more is segregates the community and the less everyone benefits from it.
  12. ratboy3124

ratboy3124 New Member

It's the fact that he did it maliciously. I saw the pastbins and the twitters and was in IRC on both sides for a bit. People giving him loads of thanks just to put their phones into a loop. That is bullcrap and I will never touch anything he has anything to do with.
  13. xkape

While a boot into recovery and backup would work, what if you didn't have a backup? What if you were a noob and didn't know what just happened? You just got yourself a trip back to square 1 courtesy of someones malicious intentions.
  14. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

As long as this thread stays civil and does not turn into mud-slinging or a flame ware it'll stay open.

It goes south, this will be locked down.

I talked to the Admin too :D
  15. ratboy3124

ratboy3124 New Member

Exactly, for some it is easy, but for others who are just starting out and trying to learn it's a major pain.
  16. BachinPhx

BachinPhx New Member

Yeah so play nice people. I personally don't condone bgill's behavior. Good dev or not, his actions were childish.

It's like OJ saying, "Yeah man, I did it but I'm sorry" and it's all better now. Give me a break. There should be some type of punishment for this behavior so it ensures that this type of thing doesn't happen again.
  17. DarthMurdicide

DarthMurdicide New Member

You might as well lock it down then, RafficaX and the Droid Forum admin he spoke with shouldn't have agreed to allow this volatile issue to be posted. Come on, you know this was going to happen! Stoking the coals of the fire!
  18. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Hey, All I'm doing is giving everyone a chance to discuss this as adults....
  19. xkape

And it's a good idea I think. Instead of letting people hold frustration with no outlet, give them a chance to vent and move on. Or at least feel a little better about it.
  20. BachinPhx

BachinPhx New Member

So what you are saying is that we shouldn't be allowed to express ourselves for what we truly feel. Thus extinguishing our First Amendment Rights? Touche'!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
droid 2 red man

droid red man

redman theme droid