UD 2.4 - Galaxy S Styled Theme

OP
eclsnowman

eclsnowman

Reaction score
does not work with 2.5 as is. Needs to be updated. I can get to it tomorrow. Otherwise I have no problem is someone wants to take a stab at porting it for me.

Here is my order of operations.

1.) Download new UD release
2.) Extract UD release to somethere. I will call it c:/somewhere/UDNew/ (I use winrar)
3.) Take one of my existing theme update.zip's
4.) Extract my update.zip to somethere like c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/
5.) Download theme-porter (by Daneshm90)
6.) Extract theme-porter to somewhere like c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/
7.) Copy the app and framework folders from c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/ into c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/old
8.) Copy the needed files from c:/somewhere/UDNew/ to c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new (ie copy UD's newest versions of the apk's from his rom that match with what I have already themed)
9.) Phone.apk and contacts.apk rarely change, so I now copy my themed versions right over UD's versions under c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new. I do the same if UD has the apk's missing like gmail.apk and launcherpro.apk.
10.) Now I run the Script.bat in the c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/ folder. It will do it's thing which is replace all of UD's png images with the ones from the apk's from my theme.
11.) Once done all images should be moved over into the apk's located in c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new. This is 90% of the battle.
12.) Now for the xml's. These don't transfer with the images during theme porter. The framework-res.apk now located in the c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new needs the xml's moved over. Go to c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/framework/ and change the name of my framework-res.apk to framework-res.zip. Now extract framework-res.zip to c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/framework/framework-res/.
13.) you can use 7zip for the next step but I have always liked winrar. Go to c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new/framework/ rename framework-res.apk to framework-res.zip. Open framework-res.zip in winrar. Navigate to /res/drawable/. Click add

3PvDF.png

Select files to add: for example progress_horizontal.xml from c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/framework/framework-res/res/drawable/ will make your progress bars the blue color like my theme has. Likewise you can use some of the following colors from haxzamatic:

Green = GSProgress.zip
Sense = SenseProgress.zip
Dark blue = DarkBlueProgress.zip
Orange = Orange Progress.zip

Once done selecting files click OK. Then click OK again at "archive name and parameters" dialog. Now the new progress_horizontal.xml is in your framework-res.zip. If you want the fancy animation by RedmanX do the same thing with all the xml's in the c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/framework/framework-res/res/anim/ folder.

Finally rename c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new/framework/framework-res.zip back to framework-res.apk

Now to package it all up.

14.) Download Update.zip 2.0 Modifier/Creator [Script] (by Daneshm90)
15.) Extract Update.zip 2.0 Modifier/Creator to c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/
16.) Copy the contents of c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new/ to c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/placehere/
17.) If you want the thicker fonts and boot animation I usually use copy fonts and media folders from c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/ to c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/placehere/
18.) Now its time to make the update.zip. Run Script.bat in c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/

18a.) clean our previous update-script data
18b.) select 1 to create new update-script
18c.) select 1 to tell it to copy directories
18d.) tell it to save the directory to SYSTEM
18e.) tell it where to copy to app or fonts or media etc.
18f.) tell it what to copy from placehere folder app or fonts or media etc.
18g.) repeat for as many folders as you have. then type 8 and hit enter for done creating update-script.
18h.) type 2 and hit enter and it will create your update.zip and save it in the c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/ folder as update.zip

ShENs.png

Now you all know what I know. Read around on xda from more info. Ask the themers here in the themers section here. As far as help making images in gimp or photoshop, or illustrator, or inkscape... well thats more than I can teach. But atleast you now know how to mix and match like alot of us like to do.

Last edited:

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I bet you could have been done with the 2.5 theme if you didnt type up all this dancedroid

dmzxls

Reaction score
Regardless, of whether we are eating fish, chicken, steak, or corn, that was very informative. Thank you, Mr. Snow. If nothing else, it has provided insight into the process which I am sure many find daunting.

Thanks!

OP
eclsnowman

eclsnowman

Reaction score
Glad some people can use it. Never found a full tutorial when I started, so I thought I would give back. Thats another reason I put up my full method... maybe one of the real themers on here can tell me what I have been doing wrong all this time :)

I know there are probably better ways to do certain parts. If anyone one out there can chime in please do. Maybe I can figure out why my themes never work with sprecovery.

Hamnrye

Reaction score
does not work with 2.5 as is. Needs to be updated. I can get to it tomorrow. Otherwise I have no problem is someone wants to take a stab at porting it for me.

Here is my order of operations.

1.) Download new UD release
2.) Extract UD release to somethere. I will call it c:/somewhere/UDNew/ (I use winrar)
3.) Take one of my existing theme update.zip's
4.) Extract my update.zip to somethere like c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/
5.) Download theme-porter (by Daneshm90)
6.) Extract theme-porter to somewhere like c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/
7.) Copy the app and framework folders from c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/ into c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/old
8.) Copy the needed files from c:/somewhere/UDNew/ to c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new (ie copy UD's newest versions of the apk's from his rom that match with what I have already themed)
9.) Phone.apk and contacts.apk rarely change, so I now copy my themed versions right over UD's versions under c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new. I do the same if UD has the apk's missing like gmail.apk and launcherpro.apk.
10.) Now I run the Script.bat in the c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/ folder. It will do it's thing which is replace all of UD's png images with the ones from the apk's from my theme.
11.) Once done all images should be moved over into the apk's located in c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new. This is 90% of the battle.
12.) Now for the xml's. These don't transfer with the images during theme porter. The framework-res.apk now located in the c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new needs the xml's moved over. Go to c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/framework/ and change the name of my framework-res.apk to framework-res.zip. Now extract framework-res.zip to c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/framework/framework-res/.
13.) you can use 7zip for the next step but I have always liked winrar. Go to c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new/framework/ rename framework-res.apk to framework-res.zip. Open framework-res.zip in winrar. Navigate to /res/drawable/. Click add

3PvDF.png

Select files to add: for example progress_horizontal.xml from c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/framework/framework-res/res/drawable/ will make your progress bars the blue color like my theme has. Likewise you can use some of the following colors from haxzamatic:

Green = GSProgress.zip
Sense = SenseProgress.zip
Dark blue = DarkBlueProgress.zip
Orange = Orange Progress.zip

Once done selecting files click OK. Then click OK again at "archive name and parameters" dialog. Now the new progress_horizontal.xml is in your framework-res.zip. If you want the fancy animation by RedmanX do the same thing with all the xml's in the c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/framework/framework-res/res/anim/ folder.

Finally rename c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new/framework/framework-res.zip back to framework-res.apk

Now to package it all up.

14.) Download Update.zip 2.0 Modifier/Creator [Script] (by Daneshm90)
15.) Extract Update.zip 2.0 Modifier/Creator to c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/
16.) Copy the contents of c:/somewhere/Theme-Porter/new/ to c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/placehere/
17.) If you want the thicker fonts and boot animation I usually use copy fonts and media folders from c:/somewhere/ECLThemeOld/ to c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/placehere/
18.) Now its time to make the update.zip. Run Script.bat in c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/

18a.) clean our previous update-script data
18b.) select 1 to create new update-script
18c.) select 1 to tell it to copy directories
18d.) tell it to save the directory to SYSTEM
18e.) tell it where to copy to app or fonts or media etc.
18f.) tell it what to copy from placehere folder app or fonts or media etc.
18g.) repeat for as many folders as you have. then type 8 and hit enter for done creating update-script.
18h.) type 2 and hit enter and it will create your update.zip and save it in the c:/somewhere/Update-Zip-Packager/ folder as update.zip

ShENs.png

Now you all know what I know. Read around on xda from more info. Ask the themers here in the themers section here. As far as help making images in gimp or photoshop, or illustrator, or inkscape... well thats more than I can teach. But atleast you now know how to mix and match like alot of us like to do.

Hey eclsnowman, I've actually been giving this a shot and haven't quite nailed it. I did figure out I needed the Java SDK program to run the final script. I actually created a zip file but it failed to install port the UD2.5. Anyhow a couple questions. On step #8, I've copied the apk files from UDNew to ThemePorter/New, are they supposed to go in ThemePorter/New/app folder that was created by Themeporter or just into ThemePorter/New? Secondly, are those the only files (the matching apk's & launcherpro) that need to be copied over on that step?
Thanks, it's a really well done theme and I hate to see it go away but I can certainly appreciate the time needs. Good luck on the new job.

OP
eclsnowman

eclsnowman

Reaction score
Hey eclsnowman, I've actually been giving this a shot and haven't quite nailed it. I did figure out I needed the Java SDK program to run the final script. I actually created a zip file but it failed to install port the UD2.5. Anyhow a couple questions. On step #8, I've copied the apk files from UDNew to ThemePorter/New, are they supposed to go in ThemePorter/New/app folder that was created by Themeporter or just into ThemePorter/New? Secondly, are those the only files (the matching apk's & launcherpro) that need to be copied over on that step?
Thanks, it's a really well done theme and I hate to see it go away but I can certainly appreciate the time needs. Good luck on the new job.

did you copy the files from UDNew/app? IF that is the case then yes they go into Theme-Porter/new/app. Secondly, yes, only the files I have in my theme + launcherpro need to be moved into Theme-porter/new/app from UDNew/app. Hope that makes sense.