Ubuntu?

joncann

Reaction score
In an amzing stroke of genius I decided to get two pieces of technology I don't know much about. I got my droid then discovered rooting it now i'd reall like to try the liberty ROM. But I can't find any posts that lay the process out for sbfs and roms using ubuntu. Can anyone help?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

LocoRon

Reaction score
Joncann, aside from downloading files and sticking them on the SD card, I have not needed a computer yet.

Here is the guide I followed to get started:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/109287-how-root-droid-2-depth-tutorial.html

Then, for Liberty, I just followed the installation instructions included in the announcement.

I did have a bit of difficulty, because the step about wiping your cache/data is posted as one step, however, there are actually two separate options that you have to select. Other than that, everything has been a breeze!

I'm not sure about sbf'ing, as I've not done that yet (don't even know what it is :S ).

Well, obviously I'm still a newb at this, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

OP
joncann

joncann

Reaction score
What roms have you used?

LocoRon

Reaction score
Just Liberty 1.0 and 1.5.

I've been so pleased with these, I've had no desire to try anything else. <3

romanrish

Reaction score
@joncann

Hopefully you won't need it, but sbf in Ubuntu is 10x as easy as windows so here is your suprisingly simple way to do it.

If you already have the sbf downloaded. Plug your phone in the usb port and power it on while holding up on the keyboard (this enters you into bootloader mode). You first need to place the sbf in your home folder and open a terminal and key these two commands w/out the quotes.

"chmod +x sbf_flash"
Press enter
"sudo ./sbf_flash DROID2_X6_2.2.20_SHADOW_BP_C_01.09.05P_P2_USERBLD_ SECURE.sbf"
Press enter again and it should prompt you for your sudo passkey. Put it in and let it work its magic and grab a beer or something cause it takes it a minute.

Phone should reboot and you are back at your out of the box state.
If you need the sbf download link then I can help you out, but I was assuming you still have it.

OP
joncann

joncann

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just want some kind of safety net before is start playing with ROMs. Now I just got to figure out how to flash the ROMs.