Ubuntu vs. Debian on Droid. WEP.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by maverick31210, Oct 22, 2010.

1. maverick31210

maverick31210 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, I know this topic has been touched on before, but I want to take it a bit further. After rooting, over clocking, custom ROMs and everything else I ran out of ideas of what else to do on my droid. After searching around for solutions to a different issue I was having, I learned that both of these OSs can run on the droid. My question is which is easier to install as well as which is more stable. Eventually I want to be able to run Air Crack while mobile, in order to do that one of these OSs have to be booted on the droid. Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated. Just another thing the droid can do. Thanks to anyone who contributes.

#1 maverick31210, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. maverick31210

maverick31210 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, so not much support on the issue. For those interested but not knowing much on the topic, I'm going to post a little update; I downloaded the Ubuntu files....it's a 2GB zip, so I started the download and went to bed. This was a couple of days ago, right now I am extracting the files (which takes around 20 mins. it looks like) and will place on root of sdcard. After that, from what I have read it should be pretty easy to go into adb shell and boot this bad boy up. I'm going to try that in a few minutes when it's done extracting. Will update later. Again, main goal here is to be able to run Ubuntu apps while on the mobile.

3. ebarcus

ebarcus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How is this project going? Id love to see the netbook remix on a droid, or jolicloud :D gotta find out more about these projects and start contributing more :D

4. FranklinWalker

Ratings:
    +0
    wow i love Ubuntu

5. minori_aoi

minori_aoi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    any more progress on how it's doing now ? I'm interested in this too

6. maverick31210

maverick31210 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Working on setting up the required ext2 module.

#6 maverick31210, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  7. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    i booted ubuntu on my droid but uninstalled it soon after...it's cool for the wow factor but not really practical for daily use (at least in my opinion). it was super slow, laggy and unresponsiveness. But it was pretty cool to see an ubuntu desktop running on my droid haha

8. carbine

carbine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd personally start with a base install of Debian and work your way up from there. Install just what you need. A lot of Ubuntu is extra bloat made to enhance the desktop environment. On a machine that isn't built as a desktop with limited resources I'd highly suggest Debian with LDXE instead of Gnome. It's a much more lightweight desktop environment. Not as pretty but it should run a lot better.

9. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    you're right, i didnt even know debian was an option until this thread haha...will definitely give it a shot

10. maverick31210

maverick31210 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Question for those that have done it...its sounding like debian is an easier route. Once installed aNd booted though, is it possible to run an app such as aircrack?

Search tags for this page

ubuntu or debian for wifi cracking

ubuntu wep android

wep hacking by android ubuntu