[ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [03/01: Audio fix]

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.hash-of-codes.blogspot.com
** Work-In-Progress: Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for primetime. **

Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Droid 4 and see for yourself.

Instructions:

1. Make a Titanium Backup and/or backup in recovery of your current Android (or just keep it in a different rom slot). This preview is fun to play with but not a replacement for something as developed as CM 10.1

2. Download the Bionic Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
[03/01] Goo.im Downloads - Browsing ubuntu-phablet (use the newest one)

3. Download the latest Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip from Ubuntu:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...blet-armhf.zip

If the above link is broken, use this link for a full listing of the current build files (download the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip .. soon to be raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip):
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-tou...alled/current/

4. Reboot into Safestrap. Create a NEW 2GB ROM in the #4 slot.

IMPORTANT:
4a. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-2013xxxx.zip SECOND.

5. Reboot and Enjoy

FIRST BOOT TAKES A LONG TIME. AND THERE'S NO BOOT ANIMATION. BE PATIENT (MAYBE 3-4 MINUTES).

WHAT WORKS:

• Display
  • Touch screen
  • Wifi
  • Audio

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.

• Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No HD codecs (still being worked on) Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No screen timeout / auto blank -- be careful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
(Some of these describe how to install it on devices -- you can ignore those instructions and follow the above)

Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch

View attachment 60924View attachment 60925View attachment 60926View attachment 60927

Last edited:

K1ick

Reaction score
Thank you for porting this, however for some reason it wont boot on my Droid 4. I created the 2GB on ROM slot 4, and installed the files in the right order but when i try booting into it, my phone just vibrates and the backlight turns off and nothing happens. I then have to simulate a battery pull to get it to reboot. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Mike253

Reaction score
Did the same thing to me, but you gotta wait for like 5 minutes for it too fully boot. It was initializing the drivers I believe.

K1ick

Reaction score
Oh ok sweet, I guess i just assumed after like 2 minutes or so that it wasnt doing anything so i stopped it. Thanks for your reply, ill try it out again here soon.

Mike253

Reaction score
Yep man, its all good.

Not exactly functional though, and also remember if you leave the phone to shut off the screen through the power button since the screen timeout does not work.

Also today when I get reset up I'll be making a script to remove all the fake data

K1ick

Reaction score
All right sweet, got it to work. Its pretty nice, switching apps is a little laggy but not too horrible. I cant wait until data works with this tho.

kwood129

Reaction score
I have it installed on my phone. I'm at the homescreen but that's it. Doesn't seem to do anything at all. I've waited and it just seems to do nothing.

It finally started responding to touch. It's working now.

Last edited:

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you guys working on a safestrap version for the RAZR HD?

Krooked247

Reaction score
Heard camera is working in this now. Def looking foward to checking it out later. Thanks again.

Krooked All Day...

BoingoInsanity

Reaction score
I did exactly as the instructions said, tried wiping cache, dalvik, then tried factory reset, then blew away romslot4 and redid a second time, let it sit there with the backlight on for a full 20 mins, and nothing... Should I try an older build?

BoingoInsanity

Reaction score
Okay, so I cleared out romslot4 and tried again today, and this time, after trying it a few times and just having the phone shut off on each boot, I cleared cache and dalvik, and then it fired right up! However, it was completely unresponsive other than being able to turn the screen on and off, and the clock wouldn't even change the time, even between reboots, and was running 7 hours fast. I'm using today's Quantal (April 11), and 20130327 Phablet. Any ideas? Is there a combination of Quantal's and Phablets that is working for others?