1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ubuntu questions and such....

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by TheSwaggeR, Mar 15, 2011.

1. TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR New Member

I've got a dell inspiron 1525 with windows vista 32 bit 86x and have been researching on developing app(s) and saw that using Ubuntu system with Eclipse is the way to go. So I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 and burned the image onto the CD and was going to install it as "alongside other system" option but I think I may have downloaded the wrong one. I downloaded the desktop one. It was needing somewhere around 990GB to install. I don't understand how it needs that much GB to install? Should I download the notebook one instead? This is my laptop I'm using and if I like how Ubuntu is I may replace it as the sole operating system instead of Windows.

I'm just trying to ask for a few pointers so this transition goes smoothly. I really do like the UI of it and all the software choices to install and help me with making apps.

Will this also work good for theming too? I will have to download Java, JDK, and SDK manager along with Eclipse on the Ubuntu system too right? I have all those but it is on the windows version.

Any help is much appreciated. I have also ordered a couple books such as android development platforms for dummies, java coding, beginner android 2 and pro android 2 to assist me in building apps and other stuff.

Sent from the D2... obviously...
  2. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Yea i love ubuntu it's the only os i use and i have the desktop edition on my laptop as well but didn't have to give it that much it asked how much i wanted to partition for it and i gave it 100gbs which was quite generous but anyway send me a pm and i'll get you my gtalk and help you out with installing it
  3. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Are you trying to install it on the Virtual Machine or are you trying to partition your pc to install Ubuntu? If I was you, I would just download the Virtual Machine and install it on that.

Everything you need should be able to be found here
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
  4. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

i think he got his system all set up. iirc i saw him commenting in a thread about theming in ubuntu and he had it all set up.
  5. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ok cool, thx for the update!

Sent from my MIUI Droid using DroidForums App
  6. gflam

O alright well if you still need any help with partitioning or just any help with ubuntu in general send me a pm i know my way around ubuntu now been using it for quite some time
  7. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

I might take you up on that as well if it's alright. I've been using ubuntu for about two weeks and I've mostly settled in but I still hit the occasional snag.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  8. gflam

Yea no problem feel free to send me a message always happy to help
  9. TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR New Member

Yeah I had everything set up for ubuntu 10.10 but ran into a lot of problems such as trying to find different programs, even after installing the provided software. It also continue to lag each time I used it. I guess that may have been a memory issue and I did not provide it enough memory to run on possibly.

So I switched to Linux Mint and it had that Windows UI feel and was a whole lot better to navigate through. I got a lot set up including corcor's studio themer, sdk manager, jdk, java, etc.

But unfortunately I had to reformat my hard drive due to a Windows issue that came back after being hiatus for a few months. If there was no activity the screensaver kicks in but I leave it black for less power usage. When returning it would not come out of the screensaver. It was basically frozen. Had to manually shut it down by pushing the power button down for 5 seconds. Turn it back on and it would be fine till the next inactivity. Even had it freeze up while I was using it and would never unfreeze. This problem seems to come and go when it wants to. I don't know why a few months its fine, then it happens then its fine for a month then again. Its weird. So I had to reformat the hard drive again, which means I lost Linux Mint, started on a fresh Windows out-of-the-box image. The problem came back again one time last week but hasn't froze up since last week. The fan is always cleaned out, proper cooling system, monitored the processors and cpu usage which has been normal. Have ran chkdsk /f with no errors and diagnosed hard drive, wireless card and other utilities with no error.

Only speculation, from one site, as a theory is the wireless interference from another laptop or phone may cause it to do that but I have no other laptop around it except my droid 2 which has had its wireless on before and has not made the laptop go crazy.

I may never get down to the bottom of the issue.

Sent from the D2... obviously...
  10. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer Developer

windows blows.. too expensive for a product that sometimes works the way it should.

my advice, make ubuntu or what ever linux flavor of your choosing your only os, then use virtualbox or wine to use windows programs.
    i have windows on my hdd and its only for emergencies, but its barley usable because i haven't activated it :p
  11. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

that's what i did, no partitioning the hard drive, all ubuntu.
  12. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer Developer

i'm running ubuntu 11.04 alpha with all its bugs & its still better then windows. =]
    but i really dislike unity :icon_evil:
  13. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

were getting close to the official release right? i've seen people talking about it but i'm still getting used to 10.10 lol
  14. TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR New Member

I could make this laptop a sole Ubuntu (Linux) operating system but... I have to take into consideration for my fiancee to be able to use it, since I bought this laptop for her. She won't understand any of this, like I do, if it gets changed and nag me about it. I could use my desktop but it's got the blue screen of death issuing a memory dump. I'll have to see if I can somehow revive it and install Ubuntu over it.

Many sites suggested that Ubuntu can and will happily co-exist along-side of Windows. It didn't give me any problems when I did it.

So right now my choices are to set up Linux Mint along-side of Windows Vista again, wait till I can afford to buy another laptop and replace it with Linux only, or figure out a way to revive my desktop.
  15. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

i bet you could get ubuntu set up on the desktop. might take a little work but my laptop was on the blue screen when i booted ubuntu.
  16. TheSwaggeR

TheSwaggeR New Member

Yeah I'm going to give that a try sometime this weekend. Gotta find the rest of the accessories in the boxes somewhere to get it hooked back up. I really hate Dell sometimes. They probably could've helped me fix the desktop up but their services suck more than anything. This desktop has been inactive since early 2009 and I have called numerous times to get ahold of someone to inquire about fixing it only to be transfered or put on hold for hours. Heck, one time I even put the phone down and left to go grocery shopping, came back 2 hours later and was still on hold.
  17. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

Wow that sucks. Not a huge fan of dell either.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk