Ubuntu Phone Hitting Store Shelves Next Week!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ubuntu-phone-bq-630x420.jpg
Are you tired of Apple? Tired of Windows phone? Tired of, dare I say.. Android? Me neither I could never be tired of Android. If you need a whole new experience you chance is here. The first ever Ubuntu phone will go on sale next week. A few years back Ubuntu announced their upcoming phone UI. They pretty quickly released some Beta software which was quickly ported to the Galaxy Nexus. I decided to flash the Rom and it was at the time very limited. I wasn't able to use it as a daily driver, but was able to get the feel of what they were trying to do. Basically the whole UI operates on swipes. Swipe one way to bring up the browser, another way to bring up your settings, another way to bring up recommended media and so forth and so on. The upcoming phones actually appear to have the same UI that we experienced during the Beta period.

The Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Phone wont leave you in shock an all. It will arrive with some mid tier specs including a 1.3GHz MediaTek processor, 4.5" 540x960 dispaly, 5mp front facing camera and 8mp rear facing camera, sd card slot, and the phone is said to arrive with some partner apps to include twitter, facebook, cut the rope and others. This won't be a cutting edge top of the line experience, but will offer something new. Expect to see more Ubuntu Phone Rom ports once this phone goes live!

via technobuffalo

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'd like to get my hands on one to try it out. Ubuntu looks pretty damn interesting...to me

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Gotta be better than Tizen. Though I've not actually messed with a tizen device, I watched a video review of the z1 or whatever it's called. Yuck.

This, on the other hand, interests me.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Bring me Ubuntu on a top tier phone and I would run it. I can't see myself using this low end device. It would bother me.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Can't wait to see where this goes. Ubuntu is great on a PC. Will def check out ports when they're available but most likely won't purchase a low end phone running it.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see where this goes. Ubuntu is great on a PC. Will def check out ports when they're available but most likely won't purchase a low end phone running it.

agreed. I am looking forward to the ports, but I have enough high end devices that this just doesn't excite me.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I like the idea that other's are getting into the mobile phone business with a new OS. The hardware disappoints me. I wonder what they are thinking.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I recall Ubuntu was available once on my Nexus 10, but wasn't polished, I'd be interested in trying that again if it was working well enough, but not sure on the phone...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok, Ubuntu, but what about apps? Is there an Ubuntu app store of sorts? Another OS may be interesting but it's a huge step backwards, unless I'm missing something here such as that Ubuntu runs Android apps or something?

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
There is an Ubuntu App Store for PC"s Not sure about phones. Haven't heard or read anything about Ubuntu running Android Apps.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Doesn't look like it Jeffrey. Wonder how this phone is going to gain any real market share even over the next couple years being only able to run what is preinstalled.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I remember hearing about this before. It will get its own apps. Not sure of there will be a "Store" per se. Everything based on HTML5, so porting anything written in HTML5 will be super easy.

Yea, here we go:
For developers Ubuntu for phones Ubuntu

Also, re: specs; we should keep in mind, you can run Desktop Ubuntu on some pretty weak hardware and it runs great. Couldn't that be the case with Ubuntu Phone???

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Not interested in this at all. There actually won't be any traditional apps like Android or iOS.... Everything app related will come from a third party online source. Weak!
Sounds about as exciting as a Polaroid smartphone. Yes, Polaroid is coming out with a smartphone. Hmmm....

S5 tap'n