1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ubuntu on my droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Novalok, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Novalok

Novalok New Member

This is more for ****s and giggles. But ive seen people with Ubuntu running on their phone with GUI and all. And i was wondering if anyone knows how to get that done on my :motdroidvert:
  2. Novalok

Novalok New Member

bump

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. Fraxinus

Fraxinus New Member

Are you sure what you've seen is actually Ubuntu running, or just some customizations that make it look that way? I'd be surprised if it was ported to a phone platform and I'm not even sure it could be. If you look at the various versions of Ubuntu they basically support x86
    Although Android is also Linux-based there's a whole lot of difference between what a phone runs and what desktop/server Linux would be. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't sound right to me.
  4. Novalok

Novalok New Member

yes sir im sure. and linux can run on pretty much anything. its just a matter of drivers

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. Fraxinus

Fraxinus New Member

That's true. I guess the right answer is probably "it depends." If you're looking for the full desktop Ubuntu experience, then no, I don't think that's possible. I was just looking and Ubuntu has some other flavors that are actually available for mobile internet devices (MIDs) and for ARM architecture. The difference is they don't really look anything like the desktop version. I think it would require a non-stock kernel compilation and you wouldn't be able to use Xwindows, let alone the Gnome desktop, nautilus file system, etc.

EDIT: wow, ok, so a little checking and here's some more to it. This isn't really running Ubuntu natively, and what I've found here is only for windows CE, but maybe what you saw is something like this:
    http://www.mymytag.com/?p=9300
    http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/HaRET
  6. gavron

gavron Guest

You can run ubuntu on your droid, but you won't have the graphical experience you are thinking you will.

Really it will be Ubuntu as a lower layer, with the droid stuff on top. The bad news is the Ubuntu does NOT include drivers for the phone, 3G, GPS, screen, nor keyboard on the droid. So ... uh.. yeah it would boot ubuntu but it would be useless.

The stripped-down linux that the droid comes with has drivers for these things as well as the Dalvik virtual machine to allow Droid apps to run. You really need both these pieces.

If you truly want ubuntu on a phone, get a Nokia N900. The thing rocks. Unfortunately it only does 3G on TMO so it's pretty much useless to me (Tucson AZ) but it's great on vacations! And yes, it runs REAL Debian linux!!!

Ehud
    Tucson AZ
  7. manny83

manny83 New Member

Search tags for this page

ubuntu droid x driver