1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ubuntu on Moto Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pnhst, Jul 8, 2010.

1. pnhst

pnhst New Member

Today I saw a walkthrough on how to install Ubuntu on a N1 and wanted to know if anyone has tried this on the Droid? I have very little doubt that it wont work exactly the same but I wanted to know if anyone has tried. If so what works?

Data access? (on the video I saw apt-get working but that was in bash)
    Multi-Codec Playback (ex vlc player installed?)
    any other awesome stuff?

I think ill give it a shot tomorrow and see what I come up with but I wanted to ask around to see if it is worth it.

To those that havent heard of this it installs over your android install so you dont lose regular phone function and for some reason you vnc to a localhost.... Seems pretty harmless
  2. christim

christim Super Moderator

Ubuntu and Android are both Linux so I imagine you can get it installed but I'd guess the biggest issue would be space. With some of the newer phones coming out with more space are phones will definitely be more like portable tiny computers. You could be literally walking around with a webserver in your pocket:)

Anyways, that's what backups are for. If you give it a try, let us know how you make out!
  3. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Seemed to be working great on the Nexus. Can't wait to hear if it works on the Droid too!
  4. quit_killin_me

quit_killin_me New Member

Can we run Android on a home computer? Without virtualization? Probably been asked but I was reading this and it popped into my head so.... That could bring life back into an old old PC. Fine for the kids, GREAT for my wife!
  5. BlueSami

BlueSami New Member

Do it i just watched that vid.. looks great!
  6. kevcube

kevcube New Member

After some *heavy* modifications, I still am getting errors, but as soon as I can work them out I'll post my modifications, and even if I can't work them out I might post my stuff tomorrow.
  7. manny83

manny83 New Member

Search tags for this page
install ubuntu motorola droid
install ubuntu on motorola devour

moto droid ubuntu

ubuntu on moto x
verizon motorola devour ubuntu