1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

U D which version?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by djj624, Jan 7, 2011.

1. djj624

djj624 New Member

Going to give this a try. Which version from rom manager?

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

None of those. They are all very, very old and should not be installed from RM. Go to the UD section on this forum and find the thread about UD 2.5. Install it directly using Clockwork.

Good luck.
  3. dparm

dparm New Member

3.0.0 isn't bad but still has the "no data after call" bug.
  4. BayouFlyFisher

He's just starting out and should try a really stable version before trying a "Beta". IMHO!!! :)

BTW, OP if you need directions for installing directly from Clockwork, let me know. It's really easy and much more cool than doing it through RM. :icon_ banana:
  5. djj624

djj624 New Member

Wich ud version should I use. 2.5, or the new 3.0? Installing from clockwork I should download the zip from the forum, go into rom manager, backup, then reboot into recovery wipe data and cache then install the. Zip for the rom correct?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

^^^Correct -
  7. BayouFlyFisher

UD3.0 is very good with the exception of the 3G loss issue. It looses 3G after a phone call. 3G is regained simply enough by toggling on and off Airplane mode - EZPZ (but annoying).:) UD2.5 is extremely good/stable/smooth. I'd suggest you go with it first.

Prior to the install, I would, from the home screen, go into Menu/Settings/Privacy/ and check "Back up my data" and "Automatic Restore". Then go into the Market and do any updates that are listed there for your apps.

Another little tip is that if you are using Launcher Pro, go to Preferences and make a backup of your home screens. Then after the new rom has been installed, you can go back into Preferences and restore your home screens. All your icons/widgets/etc. will be put back exactly as they were.

Clockwork Notes:

The first thing about Clockwork is trying to get Rom Manager to flash a good copy onto your phone. Here is a fool proof method to determine whether you have a good copy before trying to reboot into it. Begin by scrolling down and flashing the alternative recovery – SpRecovery. After it successfully loads, scroll up and flash Clockwork. If it takes longer than 3-5 seconds to get the popup telling you the install was successful, reflash it over and over until you do get that popup in 3-5 seconds. Once that happens, you have a good install.

Once you have rebooted into Clockwork and are navigating through its menu, if at any time it hesitates that means it is about to reboot automatically. When Clockwork does reboot and the screen goes dark, immediately press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Clockwork will now be totally stable until you finish.

I'd do the nandroid backup from Clockwork too. I simply do not trust RM (it's probably fine now, as my negative history goes back quite a while with it). Just select nandroid and then select backup. Again, if this is the first thing you are doing in Clockwork, and it has not rebooted prior to this, you will occasionally get an error message about your sdcard or some other message. If this happens it means that Clockwork is about to reboot. Just be patient and press the X when the screen goes dark.

After the backup is complete, then select (I don't remember the exact selection language as I don't do this part very often) Wipe Cache and Wipe Partition (or some such language). After that has completed then select
    "install zip from sdcard." Then navigate to your rom file and select it and scroll down to select the "yes". Your rom will then install and you can boot. The first boot of a new rom almost always takes a disturbing amount of time. More than once, I have been on the brink of aborting the boot up. Just be patient. :) Once your phone boots try to immediately turn on the wifi as the market is going to start downloading all your previously installed apps. This step can take 15-20 minutes so it's good to just let the phone sit and do its thing for a while.

After the apps are back and you've played with the phone enough to determine that you like it and it is behaving the way you want it to, you need to reboot into Clockwork and make a new backup. I also suggest after making backups that you use an app such as Root Explorer and navigate Sdcard/Clockwork/Backups and then rename the backups to something you will later recognize (ie. 01-08-UD2.5). That way you can have different roms or roms with different themes and be able to switch between them at will. Personally I keep at least two backups of two different roms. One is themed in all Gold/Maroon and the other is themed in all white/black. I switch any time I get tired of the one I'm currently running.

Ok, did not mean to write a book. :)
  8. Droid187

Droid187 New Member

I wouldnt use UD for anything, try bugless beast, its a solid rom and you dont have to monkey with anything to get it to work for ya.
  9. BayouFlyFisher

You do not have "monkey" with the UD roms. BTW, I did not mention BB (which used to be my daily driver) due to the two step installation process. Is that still required with BB roms?
  10. dparm

dparm New Member

Bugless Beast is a one-step install like any other rom.

I have had excellent stability with Revamp3d 1.1 and snkbitten 2.2.2. Plain-jane Android but very smooth and trouble-free. Been using Revamp3d since October.

UD 2.5 is okay, but I hate the theme and hence stopped using it.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  11. djj624

djj624 New Member

installed 3.0 and I'm getting fc on my browser, and quadrent? What's up?

12. dparm

dparm New Member

Did you wipe data before? I installed it from a blank slate (no upgrade and wiped data/cache) and it's perfect.
  13. djj624

djj624 New Member

Yup I always wipe before and sometimes after.

14. boostedhonda

boostedhonda New Member

The force close on the browser is from the gps not working and you just gotta keep retrying quadrant for it to work. if u hurry and stop the page from loading when you first open the browser you can type whatever site u want and it'll work. Then just change ur homepage and ur set because the default homepage requests for ur gps location and with gps not working it creates a fc.

Sent From My Gingerbread Droid 1
  15. djj624

djj624 New Member

I can't even get that far as to stop the browser fast enough to type in a url. As soon as you tap the browser it says application browser has stopped unexpectedly. Report or force close.

16. boostedhonda

boostedhonda New Member

Could just use a alternative browser.

Sent From My Gingerbread Droid 1
  17. djj624

djj624 New Member

Anybody else have anything I could try? I could deal with not having the lights on the bottom of the phone and keyboard, and the 3g losing connection. But My email comes up and doesn't alert me of new mail, or show new mail. The Google maps wont fully load, and the browser not working is killing me.

18. SkvyWvr

SkvyWvr New Member

You were advised to go with 2.5.

19. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

^^ This. 3.0 is just beta, not stable at all.

Here are a few other options. These are my favorites in this order.

Ultimate Droid 2.5
    Simply Stunning 4.95
    Project Elite 4.1
    and whatever the current build of Cyanogen mod is out ATM. (haven't flashed any new CM since 6.0 but I'm sure whatever is out is good.)

UD is based off of CM, PE is like SS and UD mixed.

All of the above are fast, stable, feature rich, and have decent battery life.

I used Bugless Beast 5.1 for about 2 days and switched back to UD 2.5 (always come back to UD) and am now testing out PE and am really liking it.

Definitely make sure you wipe data/factory reset! When or if you restore your apps dont restore system data, that WILL mess things up. Only restore app data.

Hope this helps you a little, good luck sticking with one rom ;)