typical battery life on razr maxx?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I just bought an razr maxx yesterday. Well I got it around 530 pm and by 10 pm I had to plug it in because it was showing dead.

Now I unplugged it at 930 am this morning. I noticed at noon it showed it was 70% full. Is it usual for the battery to drain this fast?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I just bought an razr maxx yesterday. Well I got it around 530 pm and by 10 pm I had to plug it in because it was showing dead.

Now I unplugged it at 930 am this morning. I noticed at noon it showed it was 70% full. Is it usual for the battery to drain this fast?
I don't have a maxx I have the OG Razr. I go from 630AM to 1130 PM and have about 55-60% of my battery left at the end of the day. You certainly should be doing better. Here are a few suggestions to improve time between charges:
-Turn your display down to about 20%. If out doors you can always turn it up. Your display is normally the biggest use of battery.
-Run on 3g (CDMA only) when you aren't downloading files or browsing the web...then use WiFi or 4g. 4g is a battery hog (on any phone). By the way, YouTube and apps like that stream music and video just fine on 3g...most of the time.
-Check the widgets you have running and syncing. Weather, Facebook and other widgets that sync data all the time run down your battery. Limit the number of widgets you need and have then never sync (you initiate the sync) or have them sync once every 2 hours or something like that. The fewer widgets you have running the better off you are.
-Some people use the app SmartActions (I don't). There are a lot of threads here from users using SmartActions and how they have that app set up...check it out.
-Stay away from Task Killers...they usually eat more battery than they save and they can "screw" with with they proper operations of your phone.

It may take a day or two for your phone/battery to settle in. Recommend you let the phone drain down to about 20-30%...power off the phone and recharge to 100%. Make sure you use the provided wall charger and cable...not a replacement or one from a different phone. It does make a difference.

Hope these help

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
wvdroidman said:

Well that depends on what you're doing with it. Are you browsing, on Facebook...

The screen uses the most power usually.

Do you have smart actions set??? I set battery saver, I delete the location, and movement aspects. Then when the screen times out it kills background data.

Are you in a 4g area?

What's your signal like??

Do you have everything set to auto kill in the task manager??

When you got the phone, you SHOULD'VE charged it to 100% before you started using it.

How bright is your screen?? Mine is kept a minimum brightness except when outside. Then I use the power manager widget to kick it up to full bright.

What is your screen time out time set to?

What does it show in battery manager???

Check these areas and lets go from here...

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I'm browsing, on facebook, listing to iheartradio and checking out the weather..
Phone was given to me by store salesman out of box.
Screen is normal.
Have no idea about power widget
have no idea about smart actions
In 3g area
Have no idea how to auto kil.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Don't jump to conclusions about the battery after having it for just a day. Especially since you evidently starting using it straight away without charging first. Read through the plethora of battery threads around here and give it a few days.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
wvdroidman said:
I'm browsing, on facebook, listing to iheartradio and checking out the weather..
Screen is normal.
In 3g area

Lets cover the power widget first. Long press on your home screen, select Widgets, now scroll down to (toggle: power control) this will enable you to turn on and off, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, data sync, turn up or down screen brightness, and turn on and off GPS.
Not a necessity, but I like it.

Streaming radio will eat battery....

Define normal as far as the screen.

Next lets cover smart actions, go into your app tray, find smart actions, open it and select view samples. Find battery extender. Tap on it. You will see a row going down of battery like icons. How I have it set up is I removed the motion rule. I also removed the "turn off GPS" cause I never have GPS on anyways.

Believe it or not, this feature will greatly enhance your battery life.

Now the battery lecture... I'll make it short and sweet.

Turn off your phone, charge to 100%, use your phone until it reaches 15% battery low warning. Now power it off and repeat.

Also never kill the battery, and in my experience, foxkats suggestion of charging the phone while powered off, works like a charm. I do it when ever possible.

Task manager: find this app in your app tray. THIS IS HOW I HAVE MINE, YOU MAY WANT TO CUSTOMIZE THIS FOR YOUR NEEDS. Check every single app that's listed and add them to the auto kill list. This way, 2 minutes after your screen times out, it will kill all of the apps that are running. I found that it sometimes allows the browser to continue running, perhaps they fixed this with 181. Keeps apps from running for so long. This task manager is from moto and is designed to work well with their setup. Takes some getting used to, but it works.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
wvdroidman said:
Screen is normal.
In 3g area

Also if you're in a 3g only area... go into settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks, and make sure that CDMA is checked. This will keep the phone from searching for a 4g network. Which us a big battery killer as well.

Just remember to undo this if you travel into a 4g area.

Hope some of this helps???

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Last edited:
OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I did everything you mentioned. Will let it drain down to 15 percent then recharge it. Only thing I didn't remove is the gps because I use it for gas prices, weather, traffic,etc.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
wvdroidman said:
I did everything you mentioned. Will let it drain down to 15 percent then recharge it. Only thing I didn't remove is the gps because I use it for gas prices, weather, traffic,etc.

Charge it while off... that's important. Hike this helps... and the GPS could make a huge impact on your battery. It depends on if its acquired your position or searching. At least it does with my battery life... when I use it.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Caesars

Reaction score
With backround sync off do apps like Skype/google voice/fb messagener still work? I'd assume the actual facebook wouldn't update but would the actual MSG clients still push through ?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Caesars said:
With backround sync off do apps like Skype/google voice/fb messagener still work? I'd assume the actual facebook wouldn't update but would the actual MSG clients still push through ?

Idk, I know that to save battery I deleted the fb app and just check it through the browser. With sync off, it doesn't allow for email or fb that much I do know. But as soon as you wake up the phone, it updates.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Caesars

Reaction score
Yeah I'm guessing the MSG specific clients would work but I really don't know. I think that because when u get the msgs it's an instant pop, not every few minute etc, which leads me to believe its just like an always open gateway. But I have zero ideas lol, one way to find our I guess lol.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
would it allow alarms? I use my phone to wake up in the morning most of the time.

jmurra

Reaction score
my times

My Maxx is now a month old. The first two days I took the suggestions always out there to let the battery drain almost to nothing and recharge completely. I did that the first two cycles of "in the red" back up to 100% and then back into the red again.

I have been averaging 34-26 straight hours on most occasions before it drops into the 10-15% area on their estimating notice. The first 50% seem to go quicker than the final 50%. I have 4 email accounts, plus Twitter all continuously syncing in background. All I have done is reduced the screen timeout to 15 seconds and dropped the brightness to about half.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
wvdroidman said:
would it allow alarms? I use my phone to wake up in the morning most of the time.

Would the data sync being turned off allow alarms?? Is that what you're asking?? If so, yes. If you're asking about alarms with the phone powered off, I doubt it. Blackberrys used to do this, but I don't think droids do

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!