Txt message

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Benton,

I don't see that in the standard txt, I typically go into messaging, how did you go into it?

Benton

Reaction score
I too go through Messaging. I am not super-familiar with the Droid so hang with me, I believe there must be an option to add this on. I'll start digging and post again when I find it.

raven1911

Reaction score
With the standard messaging app that comes on the phone you can only send 160 characters. I read on this forum that they are addressing this in the next update. Just dld Handcent and be done with it. It is a really good app.

Griffin

Reaction score
I can second that the text will send the first 160 charachters and the rest is cut off, not sent in a second message. I will be downloading handcent since I hear so much good stuff on here about it.

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
Verizon txt message 160

If you send a message over 160 to a non verizon phone the portion of text may be cut off depending on the phone. With smartphones such as the droid all messages sent to us will never be cut off until 1000 characters from other carriers. This is because all droid users will be sent a picture message which holds 1000 characters. If you want to type a long message to someone from a different carrier then you should send it as a picture message.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Handcent 'auto-splits' any text over 160 into multiple SMS (up to 3 then it converts to MMS), bypasses the whole 160 VZW limit.
Handcent FTW.

dogmeatstick2

Reaction score
Text messages of 160+ characters sent to VZW users will be split into two messages. When sent to non-VZW phones only the first 160 characters will be sent.

TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM-Download Handcent SMS. This app is free and has a character counter. It also has an option to split messages of over 160 characters into two separate messages. This allows a VZW subscriber to send 160+ character messages to non-VZW phones.