TWRP Is Here For The Galaxy S6!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
curtainold.jpg

Today TWRP released their custom recovery for the Galaxy S6. Installation is pretty straightforward. There is a tar file which can be flashed in Odin. This doesn't require you to be rooted. If you are rooted you can flash it via adb command prompts, or you can run a dd command in the terminal emulator app. This should really pave the way for development on this device. Now that we have a way to install roms developers should start rolling them out. Custom recovery also allows you to make a nandroid backup of your device which is basically a one to one copy of your phones entire memory.

I will have to point out that normally custom recovery requires either an unlocked bootloader, or some other kind of hackery to work around a locked bootloader. I was able to install this recovery, and have not unlocked my bootloader. I am guessing that the T-mobile variants come unlocked. Grab the recovery file from the link below! Also it should be mentioned that this has only been tested and is known to work on the T-mo variant. I am sure the TWRP team will be releasing recoveries for other variants soon!

via TWRP

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Tmobile does not deal with locked boot loaders. It's one of the main reasons that modders buy them and then migrate them over to an AT&T account. That, and Tmo's versions are usually cheaper off the shelf.

Reactions: cr6

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Whats even more annoying is that its going to take the Bootloader to get unlocked for better dev to come for the S6. its happened so many times before that the work was slow until Verizon's model was unlocked.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Which Verizon model are you referring? The last Galaxy S model (on Verizon) to have an unlocked bootloader was the S3. All others have root access, but their bootloaders are still locked. They use Safestrap to flash TW based roms.

S5 tap'n