two questions

pitseleh12

Reaction score
1)i want to connect my thunderbolt to my car's auxilliary input, so i bought an auxilliary wire, but the sound is very fuzzy. i noticed my earpiece (to make calls in the car) has three rings, and the auxiliary wire has only 2. is that the problem? does anyone know what a three ring cable is called? bc my local store only had the 2 rings kind.

2) i like the stock ROM that came with the phone, but i rooted it, and downloaded a similar version. the problem is that the ROM i now have still has the text messaging glitch, which sends texts to the wrong recipients. this issue was addressed by verizon in a download over the air, but im looking for a similar rom that has the glitch fixed. anyone have a link?

clarc31

Reaction score
I use an auxiliary cable with two rings, sounds good as long as phone isn't charging while connected to the aux port

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
P

pitseleh12

Reaction score
shoot, i need to be charging in the car bc my battery lasts only 2 hours!

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
I can help with part one:

If I am following you correct, this cable is being plugged into the headphone jack on the phone. If this is true, you are using a cable with an 1/8th inch, or sometimes called 3.5 mm, connector, and is what I'd call a headphone cable. The two ring vs three ring is this: two ring connector equals mono or not stereo because the cable only has a positive and a negative wire. The three ring version equals stereo because that cable has one negative and a positive left and positive right wires. The one like I think you have is mono on one side and stereo on the other.

My suggestion: first look at this cable compared to headphones that will plug into the phone and work/sounds well. Then go to a store like Radio Shack and buy a cable which should have both sides three ringed and will be labeled 1/8th inch or 3.5 mm.

The possible reason for poor sound is a not quite perfect connection due to two ring mono on one side and three ring stereo on the opposite.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
P

pitseleh12

Reaction score
Actually both ends have 2 rings. Only my headset to make calltls has 3 rings.

Blacksheep427

Reaction score

Ok, that is in my opinion, is what may be causing the problem. Find the same kind of wire but with both sides as 3 ringed. Likely, it will sound better.

OP
P

pitseleh12

Reaction score

Rhino94

Reaction score
shoot, i need to be charging in the car bc my battery lasts only 2 hours!

I have had no problems charging mine without root on normal stock. I gave a usb slot on my radio so I plug in my charger and then also plug in my aux cable.

nodak102

Reaction score
Actually a 2 ring plug has 3 connections left and right for the rings and the tip is common ground. A 3 ring plug adds the microphone contact.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Actually a 2 ring plug has 3 connections left and right for the rings and the tip is common ground. A 3 ring plug adds the microphone contact.

Actually the ONE RING "TRS" (tip, ring, sleeve) 1/8" - 3.5mm mini and 2.5mm sub-mini stereo (3 conductor) headphone plugs you are referring to comply with the industry standard that the "S" or "sleeve" (farthest from the tip), is always Ground, and that "T" or tip is always either Mono or Left channel (in the case of stereo), and where there is a second audio channel or stereo (Left and Right), the "R" or ring closest to the tip is always the Right channel. This is the standard headphone plug we're all familiar with for audio players.

In the case of the "TRRS" 3.5mm and 2.5mm plugs (TWO RINGS) since there's a second "R" or ring, it's used in some cases to provide an input for a microphone (such as with smart phones - the application we're discussing here), and in others is used to supply video (such as in portable video players). Since all three channels of communication each require two conductors and since all have hot and neutral sides they simply share the "S" or sleeve as a common ground for all three neutrals, for a total of 4 conductors (tip - Left, ring1 - Right, ring2 - Microphone, & sleeve - ground, for instance).

This plug has also been used for mono headset/microphone plugs where the microphone is a push-to-talk design. This plug is also used for stereo microphone purposes where the microphone requires phantom power, among other uses.

The TRS plug has been used by Creative Labs in sound cards for a mono microphone input where the tip supplies the signal and the ring is a source of "phantom power" for electret condenser microphones. And is also used for stereo microphone inputs on portable recorders.

There is even a TRRRS plug out there which uses the third ring for external control signals to perform things like pause, fast-forward, reverse, and stop from cord-mounted buttons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I use an auxiliary cable with two rings, sounds good as long as phone isn't charging while connected to the aux port

You can add a Ground Loop Isolator inline and the noise associated with charging is eliminated. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001EAQTRI/ref=redir_mdp_mobile is a good example. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YUYhDChNjIh/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html is another. I use one and the charging noise is gone.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Actually, if your headset is stereo and has a microphone then it most likely has a tip, two rings and a sleeve (unless it also has an answer button in which case it may have three rings). If it's mono with a microphone it likely has only one ring (again unless it also has an answer button on which case it's two rings). In any case using a standard 3.5mm stereo patch cable with a tip, a ring, and a sleeve on each end will give you stereo output to your car radio. You don't want or need a 4-conductor tip, ring, ring, sleeve patch cable to the car.

If the sound is "fuzzy" as you say, it may be either that you have the volume output on the phone set too high while connected to the car stereo (try turning down the phone's headset (media) volume to about 75% or less), or you may be experiencing ground loop interference. If the phone volume reduction doesn't clean up the sound invest in a 3.5mm Ground Loop Isolator.

Last edited:

Blacksheep427

Reaction score

I stand corrected. I was referring to the "rings" as the colored separators when counting but I mistakenly was counting the actual metallic plug segments when stating the number of connections. (And FoxCat's post corrects me again.) Good post btw, guys. I should have remembered these are called TRS connectors.

Last edited: