Two Questions from a new owner

FCwriterguy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Peter Springberg, a 68 yo retired Air Force doc who is currently living in Fort Collins, CO, fundraising for 501 (C) 3 causes as a volunteer and board member plus writing a variety of stories and one book.

I tried to find an app that could go on the home page of my Droid and lead to my contact information if I were to lose the phone. I would postulate that such an app (which should be free) shown be titled "Owner," and have fields including name, home phone, address and email address.

Or is there already a place to record such information; if so, I couldn't find it.

My other question is how to transfer my larger contact list, currently in my old Palm TX PDA. I haven't been able to enter contacts except for those (a considerably smaller list) that were in my old Verizon cell phone. I'd be content to enter them on my desktop if I could transfer synch to the Droid.

I had a problem deleting calendar events that were recurring on a regular basis, but one of the Droid techs suggested I needed to do so on my desktop's Google Calendar and that worked very smoothly as did subsequent synchs.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have,

FCwriterguy

Dalm

Reaction score
While I can't help you with the first question I can help you with the contacts question. Its basically the same as your calendar solution....You enter data on your gmail page.
The easiest way to get your contact list to your new phone from your old is to export / import.

You'll first want to export your existing contact list into an excel or preferably just a csv file

Next you'll need to log into the gmail account you set up with your phone on your home PC.

On the left side select contacts and then top right select import.

Point this to your csv file on your desktop and import.

This will then sync with your droid and you'll have a full contact list once again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

droiddict

Reaction score
You don't need an app for your contact information. Just make a new contact, call it Owner and put in the information that you want there. Then you need a free space on the homescreen. Do a long press, click shortcut and contact and select your "Owner" contact. It will show up with a generic contact icon and the name of the contact - Owner. If you put your photo in the contact info then it will be a shortcut with your photo. It's easiest to add photos in the Gmail contact info online and let them sync to your phone, btw.

If you want something a little more proactive, you can get an app called ICE that will show up on the lock screen with access to emergency info on a locked phone. It also puts a big red cross on the lock screen which looks a little much to me and I don't lock my phone so far anyway.

Deuel

Reaction score
First...Welcome and thanks for your service!
Second...Search the Market for "Contact Owner". It's free and does what you want. It even displays your info on the lock screen so a finder can contact you.

FearLES

Reaction score
What is the little ALARM CLOCK Icon - next to my name??

I installed CONTACT INFO onto my Droid... very cool (and necessary) application.

But - it's odd. When I am on the main / Lock screen - I have what appears to be a little alarm clock next to my name.

Is this supposed to be there??